Author Topic: Color table  (Read 5346 times)

Peter

• Silver
  • Netherlands, North Brabant, Helmond
Color table
« on: January 17, 2017, 21:13:58 »
I’m restoring my 280 SL (1969) and I’m not sure about the “official” colors. There is an overview on the website but not complete. Is someone able to complete below table?

item                                                                                                   color code
battery frame below, tray floor and battery upper frame    
radiators   
airfilterbox   
coolingsystem reservoir    
engine compartment                                                               car color but: gloss / satin  / matt?
Grille   
Wheel wells                                                                             car color but: gloss / satin  / matt?
Body underside   
automatic transmission shield/holder   
Rocker panels/Sills                                                                  169 flat black
front and rear suspension   
petrol tank   
bottom inside the car    
bottom behind seats   
Trunk inside                                                                           164 dark grey
Trunk lid, inside                                                                     164 dark grey
firewall inside (compartment)                                                car color but: gloss / satin  / matt?
convertible cap space   
Inside of bumpers                                                                 158 white grey
relay housings (in motor compartiment)   

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Color table
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 17:13:24 »
Battery frame, tray and upper - satin finish black (may also be termed semi-gloss)
radiator - satin black
Air filter box - satin black
Cooling system reservoir - satin black
Engine Compartment - body color, same as car but not buffed out (have been some recent posts on this)
Grille - Satin black
Wheel wells - Body color , my 280 SL is fairly glossy, but may not have been buffed out
Automatic transmission shield - body color, and there should be the body number stamped on it
Rocker panels - very dark grey (use the search function, a lot has been typed about on this subject) Same as the trunk
Front and Rear suspension - satin black
Petrol tank - black, but not sure if satin or matte
Bottom inside the car, body color
bottom behind the seats - body color
firewall - body color, not buffed out
convertible cap space, black satin
Relays in my car are natural finish aluminum, but I think some were in black (early cars?)
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 18:36:25 »
I agree with Jonny B:s list.
The Mercedes factory used a satin black paint finish, and I guess they specified the same for their suppliers.
This satin black is composed 60% shiny and 40% matte black (at least that rate is what I have found to be a good match)

The fuel tank (petrol tank) is also satin black

The front and rear suspension were sprayed as a unit after assembly (but before being fitted to the chassis); so that screws and other hardware were covered in satin black
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 20:43:10 by mbzse »
/Hans S

Peter

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 20:38:16 »
Hi Gents,

Thanks for good information, very helpful.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 11:49:16 »
Jonny B wrote:
Relays in my car are natural finish aluminum, but I think some were in black (early cars?)

I attach a picture showing an original relay; casing is indeed black paint.
Car is produced Summer of 1964 (230 SL)
/Hans S
/Hans S

Peter

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 20:25:52 »
Dear Gents,

A question about Satin Black.
Is this the same as 164? Which is also 7164 Deep dark grey (Tiefdunkelgrau Halbglaezend)?

Thanks for help, kind regards, Peter

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 20:51:11 »
Wheel wells - Body color , my 280 SL is fairly glossy, but may not have been buffed out
Finish on mine is fairly glossy over the plasticized undercoated areas of the wheel wells but pretty dull/flat on the non coated areas particularly on the front wheel wheels.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Peter

• Silver
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 21:03:30 »
Reading again, I got from “Pagodentreff.de” that it is different from 164/7164, but mixing RAL Deep black 90% + Ocher 5% + 5% Pure-White and 60% shiny/40% matte to get satin it should be very near by the original color of the satin black mentioned by Jonny.

ohoraherecaptain

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 12:46:08 »
Hi Guys. I'm also restoring my 280 which was originally Grey - is now Cream and I plan to change it to a burgundy. However, the only colour charts I've see are on line and via a screen, which is not ideal!  See attached.
I'm in the UK, so wondering where I should go to see real samples?
Any suggestions?
John.
JOH

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 17:35:45 »
I use this website. It contains some pics in addition to swatches.

http://www.classicway.de
Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio

Peter

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 19:39:37 »
Hi John,

I will ask my car painter to spay large samples on metal (30x30 cm) of the colors I’m interested in.
Small samples on paper will not show the real color.

Success, Peter

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 14:30:54 »
Other than the wheelwells and rocker panels the underside of the car should be off white underseal or stone guard. Color varies by year slightly.  If you are going that far keep in mind that as you are pulling it apart look for signs of paint markings used to mark various fasteners etc as to if they have been checked for Torque etc.  this is what we refer to as "Dotology".  One big area is the springs which are marked as to rate or stiffness to match the weight of options on your car and the setting of the rear lower spring mounts.  I used a really good ultraviolet stable black epoxy primer on all my satin parts. The ultraviolet stable part is important or it will lighten and chaulk in the sun. Unfortunately it is from a small manufacturer here in the US so you would be better sourcing in the EU.  No need to cover it with a topcoat and it is very durable.

I find old assembly line photos helpful for figuring out what to paint and not paint on things like brakes and bearing dust caps that have been changed over the years.