Author Topic: New Exhaust Install  (Read 4341 times)

Rhinkel

New Exhaust Install
« on: October 09, 2016, 22:11:40 »
So in my quest to get this beautiful Pagoda back on the road, it's now exhaust replacement time. I feel like I was pretty lucky getting the system out thanks to all the posts I was able to go thru and trouble shoot in advance. I was able to get the system unhooked and out in about two hours. It was stuck in the manifold but finally dropped out with a little encouragement.

Now I have a timevalve system on the way so I hope to reinstall next weekend.

I plan on using clamps, not welding so install looks like it'll go pretty straight forward with a few knuckle busts up top. Do any of you have any tips for reinstall that'll make my life easier? I'd sure appreciate them.

My biggest concern is the manifold/pipe hook up. Do you lube the joint at all? Maybe some moly to keep the parts easily adjustable as I reassemble? Should I reuse the hardware? Just the bolts?

Thanks

Rob

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: New Exhaust Install
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 06:00:35 »
If the bolts and (copper, slotted) nuts for the manifolds are in good shape I would re-use them, otherwise replace with new. I also used clamps and didn't use any exhaust assembly paste (as I understand it this is stuff that slightly expands or otherwise seals the connection when it becomes hot/dry) and the system has been very tight nonetheless, so you may not need any either. Good idea to Use new rubber donuts. Good luck, this should be a fairly easy and satisfying job.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Rhinkel

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 12:36:58 »
Thanks Cees

All new hardware coming and rubber mounts too. Can hardly wait to hear it run and begin to tune it. Nuts and bolts are in good shape.

hauser

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 15:05:10 »
You're going to like the way it sounds!

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 16:18:38 »
Hi Rob,

See Reply #3 by Joe Alexander

Here ---> http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=23951.msg171651#msg171651

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 06:03:07 »
Don't forget to use new metal crush ring seals at the front pipe/manifold connection. Yes, I like to use grease along with the new crush seals at that connection, so that everything slides tightly together and is easily adjusted. After everything is tightened and adjusted, the grease just burns off as the motor warms.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

jeffc280sl

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 21:22:02 »
The Time Valve system is a pleasure to work with.  The template/jig they use to weld the pipes to the rear muffler is key.  This will allow you to keep the system up where it is supposed to be located.  Good luck.  No problems in over 10 years of use, except rubber o rings.

Rhinkel

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 02:27:31 »
Ok! Got the timevalve system shipped to me two weeks ago. I took my time in smoothing out the edges and the insides of the pipes where they slide together. Smoothed out the insets into the manifold and started to put the entire system in. I used anti seize on all the joints. I did it on the garage floor with the front wheels up on ramps and the rear on jack stands. I installed the lead pies first and tightened them down about 25 percent- this is the hardest part of the install. Once in, I used a floor Jack and inserted the next piece ( largest of the install) into the head pipes and they slid together perfectly. Of note, I did use anti seize on all the parts that fit/ slid together. Once in the right position, I installed the back muffler.

To save myself the toil of the bands, I connected the hangers to the bands first and then lifted the parts in place and attached. The only time I had to stretch the bands was for the muffler under the body attachment. This was tough and took many tries and angles but finally got it done.

This system fit just PERFECTLY !!! The bends were right on, the system fit snug under the heat shields. The rear muffler fit perfect into the space and the downpipes had plenty of clearance around the idler arm and rolled beautifully under the chassis. Great job timevalve!!

I did use the clamps rather than weld and the sound was just beautiful sweet. I don't really know the pure sound of the previous system as it was rotted out but what a sweet melody it plays now.

I reused the old hangers as the timevalve replacements were inferior and had no insulation as originals had. Plus the bands they sent me for the center fastener are incorrect. Fortunately my old ones were reusable. Last I attached the chrome tips provided by timevalve that were Mercedes parts. 

In all I had about six hours into the install. If I had to do another today, I'd be in 2-3 hours now that I know the process.. For those out there are the fence, it can be done by yourself, in your garage, on your back. Just take your time.  My biggest problem was disconnecting the old system from the manifold.

Now I can tune this beast and listen to it run! 

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 07:18:09 »
Very useful report Rob.  Is your car a 230, 250 or 280?
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

Howard Long

• Regular
  • USA, GA, Woodstock, Georgia
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 16:00:24 »
Thanks for your information.  I purchased an exhaust system from TimeValve when I thought that I was only going to do a minor redo of my car.  After I got a good look at the rust on the underside it be came apparent that a full restoration was necessary so the new stainless exhaust system sets in the closet for a while longer.  From my inspection of the time valve system i was very impressed and I think it will do a great job.

I will refer to your info when the time comes.

Howard
71 280SL 4-speed

Rhinkel

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 04:07:33 »
1970 280 Ralph!