Author Topic: PAS Box - query on small rubber seal  (Read 2261 times)

swood1

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Worcester
PAS Box - query on small rubber seal
« on: August 25, 2016, 14:34:43 »
Hi all,

I have rebuilt my PAS box but I have one small rubber seal left over.  On looking at the exploded views the only area I could find where this seal could possibly go is shown in the attached pic.  But when I take these two parts apart there is no recess to fit this seal into. Could my box be an older unit without the recess for such a seal?  It's a 250SL.

I could add a recess if need be to the casting.

Regards

Steven.

250 SL (early), in bits. Triumph TR4a

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
Re: PAS Box - query on small rubber seal
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 13:17:34 »
There should be a recess machined into the housing that is bolted (four bolts) to main steering box housing.
Eric

swood1

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 22:22:45 »
Thanks for feedback,

Sorry just noticed your response.  I dont get email reminders on replies to posts (not sure if it can be activated?).

I shall have another look at the casting/assembly.  Although if there is no recess and I need to add one I do hope there is a way of removing the end casting without disassembly of the worm and ball bearings :/

Regards

Steven

swood1

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 06:51:20 »
Sorted it and didnt have to strip it right down either.  I picked around the hole with a scriber and low and behold a seal popped out.  Not easy to see, it was that flat it just looked like part of the casting.

Alot more confident with the power steering box now. It's a project in itself, impressive engineering.

Thanks 

Steven