Author Topic: Engine wires burnt- what can I do?  (Read 5872 times)

Rhinkel

Engine wires burnt- what can I do?
« on: May 08, 2016, 21:47:01 »
Hey all. New member first post. I've been a Chevy guy my whole life but I've come to own a1970 280sl that my dad had spent years restoring. About 5 years ago, he did something foolish- loosened the fuel inlet fitting to the injection, forget, turned the engine and had a fire. It was put out very quickly but did suffer wiring damage.

The wires that run off the drivers side that run through a grommet mounted on the inner fender all suffered. The thermostat, what looks to be the solenoid to the injector and a sensor towards the back of the motor off the head which attached by screws into what looks to be a temp sensor.

The wires are burned and through the insulation in some areas. I'd like to think I could repair them with either splicing and replacing the connectors, splicing in a donor partial harness?? Is there anyone who has had a similar issue? How did you repair it? Any ideas on where I could buy the color coded wires and splice/ build my own?  Suggestions are so very welcome

Once I replace this then I'll begin the process of getting the motor ready to restart. I guarantee I'll be on this site like crazy!!

Last, can you recommend anyone that can install a headliner in the hardtop and completely reassemble it? I'm left with a painted shell, lots of trim and glass with bags of screws!! Don't know where to begin.

Thanks for any help.  Rob

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Engine wires burnt- what can I do?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 22:02:30 »
Welcome Rob, you've come to the right place. I don't recall ever having read about your issue here before, but it may nevertheless be useful to run a search. There was some discussion about replacement (full) wiring harnesses just a week or two ago. The hardtop is a bear to put back together, I hope you can find someone close by. Otherwise Gernold of SL Tech in Maine is a good address. Good luck with the restoration work, you'll find parts prices being a bit north of Chevy ones ...
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Rhinkel

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 22:23:06 »
Thank you Cees for the quick response. I'll search the boards abs see what I can find. And yes, a 280 is not a low budget item to fix for sure!

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 22:53:50 »
A picture or two of the engine in its present condition would be a great help toward giving advice on repair options.

Rhinkel

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 00:13:17 »
Here are a few pictures. The harness is ok other than these parts here

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 07:05:38 »
For your HARDTOP -  in Southern California I would recommend Tom Colitt.   As you will read on this site, he's one of the So Cal experts on these cars.

Contacts:
tcolt@netzero.com
USA mobile (323) 251-0987
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Rhinkel

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 09:40:13 »
Thank you for the referral for the hard top! I'll look him up for sure

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 18:34:41 »
You can try to splice in new wires in the engine compartment.  Rhode Island Wiring can supply the correct color wire, wire ends, and the vinyl jackets.  There are color diagrams in the Technical Manual. 

RIW will also sell you a complete harness.  Either way, it's going to be a big job.  Good luck with it.
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA

Rhinkel

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 23:15:26 »
Hey Chuck

Thank you for the info. That's exactly what I did.  I ordered the correct wire and I'm going to splice it in, re wrap / tape the harness with the correct covering and see if that works. The wires are good at the connector and off the harness. About 2 ft in between needs to splice in.  Hope to get it done over the long weekend. Hoping to try and fire it up. Injectors are being sonic cleaned, tank drained, oil will get changed, new battery....Bam! See if she fires

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 00:01:03 »
Welcome Rob to our International Pagoda SL Group, as Chees said above you come to the right site. There are helpful and very knowlageable indeviduals on this site to help out.

Too bad that your dad missed to retighten the connection that left you with the issues at hand, however, I see you have it well in hand. Nice to have something from your dad that you now can bring back to life and enjoy. Good luck with all that.

Once again Welcome and happy motoring once you get her running again.

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Rhinkel

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 17:21:41 »
Thank you Dieter! Lots of good stuff here as I learn how to tinker with these beautiful pieces of machinery!