Author Topic: Plating IP fittings  (Read 2459 times)

jan lauwers

• Senior
  • Belgium, Antwerpen, Geel
Plating IP fittings
« on: May 02, 2016, 19:52:08 »
Hello gents,

I am going to have several parts from my engine E plated.

My question is about these fittings in the Injection Pump and likewise, those at the other end of the fuel lines. Can I simply screw them out of the IP and out of the block and have them plated? I am just not sure if these are only fittings or do they contain some kind of delicate device inside that I might ruin? Provided that they can be removed..., when I will be placing them back, are they all interchangeable? In other words, does each one have to go back in the same place or does that not matter?

Thanks again guys,

Jan
Jan Lauwers, Geel, Belgium 

White 280 SL 1969

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: Plating IP fittings
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 00:20:09 »
Those at the other end of the lines are your fuel injectors. They can be plated if care is taken to plug both ends. Most platers will have some way of doing this. They just need to know about it.
The fittings on the pump are the delivery valve fittings. The valves themselves reside below these fittings. You can unscrew them but leave the valves themselves in the IP. Then have them plated but make sure to keep everything very clean and covered while the system is open.
When re-assembling everything, be sure to use the correct touque spec. Especially the delivery valve fittings.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

jan lauwers

• Senior
  • Belgium, Antwerpen, Geel
Re: Plating IP fittings
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:41:07 »
Thank you!!
Jan Lauwers, Geel, Belgium 

White 280 SL 1969