Author Topic: Grill surround reassembly  (Read 2336 times)

w113bkk

Grill surround reassembly
« on: February 08, 2016, 13:17:33 »
I am reassembling the grill after it had been rechromed using a new screw kit from authentic classics. does anyone have up close pics of how the barrel and wings are fastened. I have two chrome spacers which I believe go above the barrel. Can anyone she some light on this.
On the bottom of the barrel that looked like a screw that had been snapped there is a smaller hole behind it. On the grill surround there are two holes. I was wondering if the stub the I took a pic of was a screw . There are two large screws I believe are for top and bottom of the barrel. There are also two thick chrome spacers. When I looked in the original MB parts book I have there us only one showing. Are these supposed to be inserted in-between the surround and grill barrel top and bottom?

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Re: Grill surround reassembly
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 13:40:24 »
This might help:

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=6554.msg40953#msg40953

See attachment within the link. 
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 13:55:31 »
Quote from: w113bkk
.../... two large screws.../.... There are also two thick chrome spacers.../...
Large screws well ok... they are M5
The 2mm thick chromed washers are available to be fitted "as needed" between frame and barrel (no washers is to be preferred). This is to even out any gap caused by varying measurements (after welding etc.) for the opening in the front of the W113 body.
When working on the front of the cars body, it is vital that the edges of the opening in the front are shaped well, to make the chromed frame fit snugly and look right. If you re-chrome the frame, you may want to shape it to fit to the body, before handing frame over to chrome vendor.
Any misalignment is usually visible in the top, outer corners of the grille frame vs the body...
/Hans in Sweden
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 16:49:17 by mbzse »
/Hans S

w113bkk

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 16:32:56 »
Thanks! That was a great diagram and explanation as well.