Author Topic: Are car computers a match for phone phreaks?  (Read 10398 times)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Are car computers a match for phone phreaks?
« on: November 29, 2015, 06:11:18 »
While watching this video I couldn't help but think what these phone phreaks would have done with all the computers in our cars!
Enjoy the clip: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/before-they-created-apple-jobs-and-wozniak-hacked-the-phone-system/
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Re: Are car computers a match for phone phreaks?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 07:24:00 »
Hi,
let's face it they are doing it already with our modern cars, e.g. keyless entry theft.
...WRe

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 16:16:33 »
Most of us are still enjoying the simple life when driving our Pagoda treasure .... As Jerremy Clarkson once said while taking one for a drive ... There is the radio and the clock ... That's it. None of that modern stuff to worry about in this car.

Indeed .... My modern DD was in a crash in October, I finally got it back after six weeks, the most expensive part was the front left light assembly at a tune of $2.250.00 Canadian. Once the body shop was done with it they gave it back to the Mercedes Dealer, since the Body Shop installed the light assembly the Dealership had to re-program it. It took them 1 entire week to do this (the indicator did not communicate with the light assembly and a new module was required). Final cast to reprogram the friging light over $500.00

Glad our Pagoda has non of that crap LOL ...
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 17:07:47 »
So many "advances" in automobile technology are solutions in search of a problem.  How, exactly, is a computerized turn indicator an improvement over a simple direct current circuit?  And, if any advantage can be discerned, how does its value outweigh the cost and dependability.  Ask your dealer and watch them stumble for a plausible explanation.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 18:10:03 »
Hi Ray,
I am sure you still remember your chats and small talk with the life call operator connecting your call and want those days back! LOL   ;D
But did you like the video clip?
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 18:14:53 »
Ray, I did mention something similar to the Service Advisor when I picked up my copy of the bill for my records.

I told him, On my Pagoda all I need is a volt meter to check out the indicator light and check the fuse and ti would not take more then 15 minutes to locate the problem.

I will scan the details of the work they did on my scanner and add it here later. It's just a bit over the top to charge that kind of money to get an indicator light to work. No wonder our insurance premiums keep climbing with the cost of repairs etc.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 18:15:59 »
Alfred, thanks for the clip very interesting :)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 19:31:16 »
Alfred,
It was a wonderfully made video.  Their story about unintended consequences should be cautionary to manufacturers who put processors in every conceivable corner of their products.  As Scotty said in The Search for Spock, "The more they overthink the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain."  I applaud new technology, but not when it is more complex and expensive than it can possibly be worth. 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 21:00:16 »
Yes believe it or not, I built a blue box in 1973, and a red box at the same time. Both worked.  ;) The red box, a/k/a a "Dimetron" emulated the sound of coins going into a payphone. Most of these hacking deals were simply eliminated by installing filters.

This all came crashing down when a certain friend of mine, who wisely kept me at arm's length, broke into a major state university's phone system (physically) with the purpose of installing some equipment on the outgoing phone lines. Ah, those were the days. He went to jail. Nobody came knocking. I was in a distant outer circle.
Before those dark days, we called phone booths in London, sent calls from one phone to the next going across the globe first. We could choose satellite transmission, or ocean cable. All that you read on the subject, while seemingly unbelievable, was true.

For those interested, http://www.lospadres.info/thorg/lbb.html that's the seminal article from 1971 on the subject.
More recently, http://www.amazon.com/Phil-Lapsley/e/B00BBNTTIY?tag=duckduckgo-osx-20 that's the book "Exploding the phone" by Phil Lapsley.

Very interesting stuff.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 22:15:52 »
Very interesting!! Thanks for posting.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Tyler S

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 18:12:23 »
About Alfred's video link. Did anyone happen to catch the CNN special "The Man in the Machine" about Steve Jobs the other night? He really was a smart excentric man but it seems devotion and skill hampered his every day life relationships and people skills. Didnt play well with others.
By the way Alfred, I just realized your a couple of freeway exits north of me!
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)