Author Topic: New to the SL Pagoda world  (Read 4222 times)

fnfnfnfn

New to the SL Pagoda world
« on: November 18, 2015, 18:08:34 »
All, The Pagoda SL is my favorite car design of all times and I have finally come in a position where I am seriously considering buying one. Being new to this world I am not really sure how to go about the pursuit of the perfect car. The price rage seems very wide, from $30k to $150k. I think I prefer an early car (230 or 250), prefer manual, Euro front lights, third jump seat, etc. Any help, recommendation, advise, etc. is greatly appreciated. I am located in the Boston, MA area.

hauser

Re: New to the SL Pagoda world
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 19:04:42 »
Try Hatch.  Not the cheapest but he usually has some very nice cars.

http://hatchandsons.com/pages/

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 20:37:57 »
Make sure you have a good read in the Tech Manual on purchasing a vehicle.  There are some very sage words there on the do’s and donut’s and it will be critical to your long term ownership and enjoyment to get it right.

Ask lots of questions and if possible photograph the vehicle and post on here and you will get lots of comment on what is incorrect on the vehicle.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Panzer82

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 23:34:00 »
The first thing that comes to mind is.... "What do you want to do with it?"

Car shows, tours, short road trips, long road trips? Do you want to just get in and drive off or are you okay with finding a car that has some minor needs (they ALL have, at the very least, minor needs).

The money, not what they cost, but constantly thinking of them as 'investments' can get in the way of the pure enjoyment of one of these old cars.

It always makes sense to buy the nicest car you can find in your price range... correctness counts too, but do you pass on a car with an aftermarket radio and holes cut for speakers in the back just because it isn't as 'correct' as it could be? I guess it depends on price and these other factors.

I bought a great little 230SL, Euro spec w/ Euro lights, manual trans, kinder seat, about 2 years ago for $20,000, a steal, even then. It had been repainted in its original color, the interior was original MB tex and kind of worn, the hub caps were from a later 280SL (one piece, incorrect for a 230) and weren't painted to match the body, they were just chrome, it had an aftermarket radio, the soft top had a hole that had been patched... but it was $20k and I don't think anyone with a car they paid 3 times as much for had anymore fun than I did in that car... driving it thousands of miles in the one Summer I owned it. I talk to a lot of guys who haven't put 3,000 miles on their cars in 10 years, sad.

I was hooked after the summer of 2014 and I decided I wanted a nicer, longer term Pagoda... so I kept my eyes open and one came along. A 250SL with an interesting history.. so I sold the 230 (to a guy in Belgium who was happy to get a Euro car, it's undergoing a complete restoration just outside the city of Ghent)... and bought the 250SL.. that is, more correct, original and all of those things that make sense for a car I plan to keep for a long time.

If I hadn't had the wonderful experience with the driver quality 230SL, I probably would have just sold it off and gone back to an air cooled 911 or something, but the Pagoda experience is one of class and sophistication... no matter what that middle digit on the back is...a 3, 5 or 8.

I think the 230s represent a real value at the moment, they are still available for far less than a 280 and, in my opinion, the way we use these cars today, as pure, leisure vehicles, just as enjoyable and usable. They made many more manual 230s than 250s or 280s... so they're easier to find.

I believe that sometimes the right car just presents itself to you... and maybe it will check all the boxes you've imagined, or maybe it won't. Maybe it's a U.S. spec car with Euro lights and no kinder seat, or some variation. My 250 is an automatic and I NEVER thought I'd buy an automatic, but everything else about it was too good... so I went for it and am very happy with my decision.

There are plenty of cars on the private market. Resources like this forum, your local MB club, are both good resources... event the local, independent MB shops in your area.. ask them if they know of any of their customers that might be interested in selling a Pagoda SL.

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 04:19:12 »
All, The Pagoda SL is my favorite car design of all times and I have finally come in a position where I am seriously considering buying one. Being new to this world I am not really sure how to go about the pursuit of the perfect car. The price rage seems very wide, from $30k to $150k. I think I prefer an early car (230 or 250), prefer manual, Euro front lights, third jump seat, etc. Any help, recommendation, advise, etc. is greatly appreciated. I am located in the Boston, MA area.

Words of wisdom: Buy the best car you CANNOT afford. You will thank this forum later.
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black