Author Topic: 1966 230SL Top Install  (Read 5714 times)

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
1966 230SL Top Install
« on: August 28, 2015, 01:14:01 »
I have removed my soft taking photos all along the way but somehow I think I've missed one element.  I came to the point where I loosened the 10mm nut to remove the tensioning wire, then proceeded to remove the top.  Upon doing so, I found the other end of each wire had a loop in it to secure.  The issue is that I have no clue how the loop end was secured?  can someone assist, please?  Thanks very much.
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

Scottcorvette

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Norfolk
Re: 1966 230SL Top Install
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 05:00:37 »
These may help or may be of no use whatsoever...I took these pictures when I removed my convertible top frame. I guess these are the wires you are talking about. Mine are secured each end, the rear on the other side is held with a similar self tapping screw as at the front, but the rear shown is held with a bolt, I guess the bolt is wrong.

I also took the measurements of each bows distance from the header bow if that is of any use to you.

This is on a 1964 car.

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 11:14:05 »
Thanks so much.  I would never had reasoned that the wires ran all the way to the two screws at the front bow!  Wow.  That will add another dimension of complexity to the installation of the new top.  And I would certainly appreciate your measurements for the bow distances.  I haven't removed my straps that run front to back so I am still able to make measurements but it wouldn't hurt to have yours as well.  (My car is a 1966.)

Thanks again for the assistance,
Harry
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 11:55:48 »
Harry, Scott,
Those cables are for holding the fabric top down.
It's a bit tricky as the cable has to be fished within the fabric pocket on the side.
There is a large chrome panhead screw and washer that you can see on the outside of the top near the windshield position.
Then the free cable end is held by a captive washer with a 10mm nut holding it tight against the frame as Scott's photo shows.

Without those cables, the sides of the top can be pulled up by a would-be thief and will cause uplift and flutter when you drive fast.
This cable prevents those two issues.
Walter

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 14:22:36 »
Plenty of info on the site including hundreds of photos of an install on a 66 230. (it seemed like hundreds at the time; probably slightly fewer). Search using my user name and "soft top" for the pics. It's not too hard, but is a two man job.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 21:45:09 »
Next issue.  The forward most bow is riveted to the nylon straps.  What kind of replacement rivets were used and where can you find them?
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

Scottcorvette

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 06:21:22 »
Here are the measurements I took, all are from the rear of the header bow to the centre of the next bow, and then all further measurements are centre to centre.

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 12:14:35 »
Thanks for the measurements!  Did you replace the rivets in the bar/straps?  If so, where did you find the replacement rivets?
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 10:02:46 »
Top is on!  Wow.  It was tight to put up before.  It is really tight now.  I let it sit in the sun yesterday to try to loosen up a bit.  I do have a question, please.  I noticed that the 2nd rail from the header (the one after the "floating rail") seems to interfere with the rubber seal that is glued to the top along the sides.  The rubber actually lifts the side of the top because it hits the portion of this rail that bends over and down.  Has anyone cut away the rubber in this area to allow the sides of the top to fit more closely to the window chrome?  (Am I stating this clearly?)

Thanks,
Harry
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 08:56:52 »
Harry,
I would be interested to know where you obtained your soft top from, I am having the same problem (tight as a drum) unfortunately we do not have the sun to help.
This is the first time I have used this supplier.
Eric

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 11:25:23 »
German Auto Tops.  Very nice construction.  It certainly appears that tight fitting tops are the norm for these cars but I can't understand why.  I have had lots of convertibles over the years and replaced many tops but never had any that demonstrated this kind of fitment.  It looks great when it's up but it's a bear to get it there.
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 20:42:49 »
Very interesting, the one I have just fitted is also from  German Auto Tops  I purchased mine through a third party, I have contacted him and he is looking into it.
Have you contacted your supplier? 
Eric