Author Topic: A closer look at the Magnus Walker #227 in Minneapolis than I wanted...  (Read 5523 times)

Panzer82

Yeah, that's me in my black car...

There was almost one less Pagoda in the world...

There is a link to the video of the crash in the link above.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 18:55:50 by Panzer82 »

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
I just saw a gif of the event over on DDK

My thoughts - beyond the speeding... - included thinking how well the Pagoda driver had done to make his car small. Well done. Seeing as the world is now a witness to the incident, I assume the police will not be bothering you too much!

Congrats on a very lucky escape - although Magnus got pretty lucky too. His A-pillar must have been quite lose to his hairy head after ploughing into that semi
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

iftykhan

Wow!  Only you and your dry cleaner will ever know how scared you were.
Good camerawork as well.

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Hard to believe you were not hit --- From the camera angle, it sure sounds and looks like you were hit.   Amazing that you were able to hug the curb.  Well done.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 23:42:48 by kampala »
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
Gotta stay on the throttle thru the turns driving those old rear engine air coolers or you risk losing the back-end.  Guess Magnus he wasn't expecting the enclosed trailer to be parked up ahead.  I think that's the same car he drove on Car Matchmaker during this week's show.  I'm sure he has a good body man.
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
In the "By the grace of God" dept he is so lucky that truck's gate wasn't 3 feet lower.

Panzer82

My car was not hit... I hear you, it looks like he might have clipped me, but he did not. I think the sound you hear is that fiberous stick or whatever it was he ran over or the sound of the tripod panning or something.... the 250 was completely unscathed. I think my tires probably scraped the curb. My hub caps were not scuffed and the driver's seat remained 'unsoiled' (somehow).

Of course, it could have been MUCH WORSE had things gone a little differently.... any number of ways.

jmela

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
Re: A closer look at the Magnus Walker #227 in Minneapolis than I wanted...
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 14:49:15 »
I was wondering who's car that was - figured with a 113 that clean you'd be on this board. Looks like he was THISCLOSE. Your 250 looks great, FWIW.

I think Magnus' 911 was running slicks, which may have contributed to his problems. He's an experienced driver and is Mr. 911 at the moment, so he's more than familiar with the car's quirks.

As the car was in town for a Porsche event and driven by a Porsche spokesperson (who happens to have his own warehouse of cars and parts), it'll be fixed quickly. Magnus' ego may take a bit longer.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 14:58:43 by jmela »

mario

Re: A closer look at the Magnus Walker #227 in Minneapolis than I wanted...
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 19:29:47 »
I'm a Magnus fan, but cold tires and a bit of showboating are never a good idea on public roads.  I've had the feeling of losing my rear end in my 911 but thankfully I was on the track. Can you imagine if the ramp on that hauler was about 3 feet lower?  It would have been MUCH worse.