Author Topic: Soft top storage  (Read 2812 times)

rjfurlan

Soft top storage
« on: August 04, 2015, 18:26:56 »
Is there a trick to getting the soft top stowed so that the lid will close. I can not get it down enough.

Thanks
Rich

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
Re: Soft top storage
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 19:40:46 »
Turn the locking handles as if they are locked in the windshield.  Make sure all the material is folded in with each bow and not bunched up.  The lid is very tight to close even after this is done.  Make sure none of the frame is bent.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 23:14:27 »
Also make sure that the two rubber blocks (protectors) are glued to the underside of the lid. These absorb the rubbing/denting force of the two soft top handle knobs, on the underside of the alloy soft top cover.
/Hans in Sweden
/Hans S

rjfurlan

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 00:08:29 »
Hans, too late, they are already dented.

My top is very tight. I still can not close it from back to front. I have to lock the front first and then slam the rear. I have left the top up for the last three months hoping it would stretch. It is better, maybe another three months.

Edit: I can not find the rubber bumpers in the epc or on any manufacturers web sight. Is it just a peice of rectangular hard rubber?

Edit again. I got it to close.mthenare a couple good videos on utube. I forgot to close the two lowere first.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 17:04:07 by rjfurlan »

jpinet

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 04:53:33 »
to stretch my new top, I used adjustable bars you find in hardware stores. I put one on each back corner of my top with the other end on the ceiling and put on pressure until the cars'  suspension started to compress. 48 hours and my fabric was stretched. No fabric was harmed during this exercise!