Author Topic: Sump off - oil pump checks  (Read 5846 times)

paul_GB

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Waterlooville
Sump off - oil pump checks
« on: August 02, 2015, 13:43:10 »
I currently have a 230SL engine on my bench and have the ali the sump removed to change front/rear oil seals. Are there any relatively simple checks I can do on the oil pump whilst I have access before I close the engine up to instal in my car? I'd hate to miss a trick at this stage! Note, the engine has good compression (approx 160 psi) but I have no info or history re its oil pressure. Any pointers gratefully received. Thanks.

Paul
Paul
1964 230SL - Dark Blue

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Sump off - oil pump checks
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 08:42:43 »
Take it apart and examine the impellors and the housing. If there's any sign of damage bin it and get a new one. Think of it as an extra £500 on your insurance premium.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 15:04:01 »
I currently have a 230SL engine on my bench and have the ali the sump removed to change front/rear oil seals. Are there any relatively simple checks I can do on the oil pump whilst I have access before I close the engine up to instal in my car? I'd hate to miss a trick at this stage! Note, the engine has good compression (approx 160 psi) but I have no info or history re its oil pressure. Any pointers gratefully received. Thanks.

Paul

160 PSI ??  That seems a bit high to me. Your oil pressure relief valve should open well before that.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 16:45:13 »
Have you been at the hard stuff Dan? He's referring to his cylinder compression!

paul_GB

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 22:44:34 »
Yes the piston Compression readings are averaging about 160psi :-). I have no clue what the oil pressure was before striping the engine down. Fortunately the oil pump housing and impeller blades all look in good shape.. I can't see any signs of wear. I'll instal the sump and start the reassembly over the next few days. Thanks for the advice!

Note, removing the crankshaft front seal steel collar/spacer was a nightmare. I tried the sl113 clubs recommended 'slotted drain pipe/clamp' extractor tool first.. and then a slotted steel version made from exhaust pipe! BUT the collar was so well 'glued' onto the crank that I had to remove the sump (for access) and then cut slots in the collar (avoiding cutting the crankshaft!) and then used a thin 2 jaw bearing puller (with the jaws located in the slots) to pull it off the end of the crank!! A couple of beers were needed after to calm the nerves!.

Paul
Paul
1964 230SL - Dark Blue

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 23:04:48 »
Quote from: paul_GB
.../...removing the crankshaft front seal steel collar/spacer was a nightmare.../... the collar was so well 'glued' onto the crank that I had to remove the sump (for access) and then cut slots in the collar
Paul, you certainly deserved that beer! What a task it turned into for you, wow... one thought, did some PO/mechanic use thread locking fluid, Loctite or the like, as the collar was stuck like that..(?)
/Hans in Sweden
/Hans S

paul_GB

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 10:35:13 »
Yes.. I think it may have been Loctite or similar that was effectively bonding the collar onto the crank. There was a hardened red residue under the collar and between it and the sprocket. I did take a photo of the 'extraction method' I resorted to so I will find the pic and upload it for anyone else who might encounter the same.
Paul
1964 230SL - Dark Blue

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 03:26:37 »
There is a puller for that ring but it sounds like it would not have helped in your case. 

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 09:52:07 »
Quote from: paul_GB
.../...Loctite or similar that was effectively bonding the collar onto the crank.../...
So, consensus is - Loctite may well be useful, but absolutely do not use it there!
/Hans in Sweden
/Hans S

paul_GB

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 23:08:05 »
Just in case you get into this situation.. the combo of tools I used are in the attached photo (note, engine is upside down).. a two jaw puller, with a G clamp holding the puller's jaws in the slots I'd cut in the collar. Not very eliquent but effective when up against it. I suspect there are better methods that are well known to the experts on this site :)
Paul
1964 230SL - Dark Blue

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 00:08:09 »
Have you been at the hard stuff Dan? He's referring to his cylinder compression!

Love that reply Stck :) I think Dan is been working to hard in the field, he has a farm to run too and it is harvest time for some of his fine corn :) bdw Dan does not drink ... I don't think.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 03:17:37 »

Maybe I should start drinking. Any advice?
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

stickandrudderman

• Vendor