Author Topic: CAMSHAFT QUESTION  (Read 5798 times)

JJJS

CAMSHAFT QUESTION
« on: August 01, 2015, 10:44:52 »
Hello

I have a US Pagode of 1970. It has already been fitted with a stainless steel sports exhaust and K&N filter.

My camshaft is a 01. Is the hotter replacement thereof the 02 or the 09 (size of bearings).

My dealer likes to stick to original and fears that the hotter cam will lead to loss of power rather than an increase as the engine is an US version. I doubt this, but does anybody have experience?

What needs to be changed for ignition and fuel settings?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Jeff

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: CAMSHAFT QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 18:04:17 »

My camshaft is a 01. Is the hotter replacement thereof the 02 or the 09 (size of bearings).

My dealer likes to stick to original and fears that the hotter cam will lead to loss of power rather than an increase as the engine is an US version. I doubt this, but does anybody have experience?

Should be possible (AFAIK) but I think you can get only the 09 today. Together with that you need the correct calm brackets, very important for the proper lubrication....

Don't think you need much of adaption on the fuel injection pump side or ignition.
However, you will not feel much of the "more performance". For that you need the other (the Euro settings) FI pump as well
... and you will experience only a slight improvement in performance with very high revs.

For the regular use by most of our members - not necessary or recommended I think; the improvement is most likely too little.

Everything else needs to be recommended by our experts here.

Achim

Achim
(Germany)

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
Re: CAMSHAFT QUESTION
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 03:43:58 »
I've been playing with camshafts (On M117 engines though) and in my experience they are one of the main parameters that determine an engine's personality. There are several variables at play, among which the cams profile and the timing of the camshaft. The hotter the camshaft and the later the timing, the more power late in the rpm range. The downside is that you will loose torque where you most need it for normal road use. One way to go around it is to go with a numerically higher rear end ratio but then you need to keep a sporty driving style to get the best out of the engine. The compromise I went with was to keep the hotter camshaft but advance it's timing so that it would do its magic within a more useable rpm range. In the end it's a question of personal taste and of what you expect from your car.