Author Topic: Quick Question re BLOWER UNIT  (Read 4165 times)

jhpcat

Quick Question re BLOWER UNIT
« on: July 07, 2015, 01:08:49 »
This is rather embarrassing, but could someone take a look at their blower unit as I need to know three very simple things re the bottom mounting bracket:
1.  Which end of the bracket bolts to the floor.  A) the side of the bracket which has the corners cut off, or B ) the side of the bracket with the uncut corners.  2) I need to know the orientaiion of the bracket such that is the vertical part closer to the engine when bolted to the bell housing, or B) is the vertical part of the bracket closer to the back of the car.  And, 3)  What is the orientation of the rubber anti-vibration fitting in relationship to the bracket and the blower fan housing?  I took it all apart and want to be sure I am putting it back together properly.  Thanks all!  I have a 69 280SL and am wrapping up a 14 year complete restoration.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Quick Question re BLOWER UNIT
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 16:03:31 »
I just got this merit badge and remember some of this, I wrote up little note cards for each step, but tossed them once we had everything back together.

1. The side with the corners cut off is up, the full bracket mounts to the floor
2. The vertical part is closer to the engine
3. The damper goes between the bracket and the fan blower housing.

This on a 1970 280 SL
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 17:24:49 »
Jhpcat,

I hope Jonny got you the info you are after.

BTW, your 14 year resturation sounds like a job of perfection :) what all did you do? Perhaps posting some pictures here would get us all excited ~grin~ I assume you visited here before except you never ever posted before ... I hope our site has been some help to in the past and that we will have the pleasure of seeing you again sometime in the future. Why not interduced yourself in the ""New Member Interduction" thread and tell us a bit about yourself, your car and some pictures of your finished resturation project.

You find our New Member Interduction thread here (some great stories from our Members) ----> http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=529.0

Meanwhile enjoy your ride!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 17:30:31 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

jhpcat

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 01:12:03 »
Thank you Jonny. I was surprised to see so many readers on the thread and yet so few responses.  I should have changed my name to "Ginger" or "Bambi"! (not)
I appreciate your taking a moment to scratch your head and shoot me a reply.  I have been so confounded over this... not to mention the car itself.  I got it all in today and tomorrow may go for install of aiar ventilation baffles to heater and outside air.  I cant wait to get my gauges back into the car and that is right around the corner.

jhpcat

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 01:31:53 »
Thanks for shooting me the message, RD. I will post some pics soon and also will con tribute some of what I have learned through photos and logs.  I fully intend to do so.  It has been a long journey, which most of my friends told me to give on long ago.  But now that the value of these rides has shot up as such, they are singing a different tune, you know.  I have resorted very little to the site but did join long ago.  I am a hobby car guy, not a car guy in general. I also have a 65 vette and an 81 528i, which sat at the atrium of  BMWs NA headquarters in Montvale, NJ as was invited by BMW for being regarded as being one of the nicest e12's in the US... as a driver. Lord knows there are others nicer in BMWs collection.  That car went thru a full resto too.  But I drive it. My care are for driving.... not sitting under cloak.  So i putz with my three cars in my spare time... when my bride is not to annoyed, ya know. Here s a peek at my engine as every nut bolt and washer were replated in thee process.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 03:26:39 »
Thank you jhpcat for your response, yes the values of our cars have gone up quite a spell from January 2013 to now, even doubled in some cases and then some. Joudging by your engine bay I can only say Waw how nice that looks!!! Well done indeed.

I hope you find the time and interduced yourself you are welcome to our site as an Associate Member and should you decide later on to become a full Member that be great also. I am certain a large percentage of our Members here would enjoy some background on your resturation and photographs that I am sure you have many from the past years.

Some of my former cars have been BMW's from 2004 to 2007 I drove M3's (e46 and the e92) my first new BMW was a 1987 535is it is still in the family I handed her over to my daughter some time back, now she wants to sell the car. I am playing with the idea to take the car off her hands and restore her like new. Still thinking about it. The car has played a major role in my life and letting go totally will be very hard.

Meanwhile good luck with the final touches of your project!

BTW. We had a major car meet of the Pagoda in September 2013 in Williamsburg Verginia perhaps you heard about it, nearly 50 Pagoda's were there. We have another one planned for this year, you find details under "Events" and threads with the subject PUB 2015 in case you are interested. Problem is it is a spell north of you. Then we have visitors coming from as far away as Australia. The nice thing about our Pagoda SL Group is that we are truly an international group and that makes it very interesting indeed.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:44:42 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 03:43:31 »
Jhpcat,

Indead very nice indeed.

Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric