Author Topic: Hardtop storage solution.  (Read 5310 times)

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
Hardtop storage solution.
« on: July 06, 2015, 11:37:42 »
Storing the hard top of my car has always bothered me. Having it on a cart leaning up against
The garage wall, for me was never an ideal solution. Risk of damage always there.

This got me thinking. So after a few rough designs, and a weekend brushing up the DIY skills. I came up
With the solution pictured below. Now the Hard top is safe, dust free, and I now have a useful
Work bench, incorporating lights and additional power outlets I am pretty pleased with the result.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Hardtop storage solution.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 13:41:43 »
That's very impressive.
Not quite as impressive as your spotless garage but close
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 13:45:42 »
Great idea, best I've seen so far ... Well done.

I decided to put my hardtop on the car and leave it there. The car looks so much more like a Pagoda. On long trips I may take my hardtop stand with me disassembled it takes only a few minutes to put it back together if I decide to cruse the area without the hardtop for a spell here is always a spot I can store it for that short period (a friends house or a local garage, the hotel etc.).
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 15:07:06 »
i agree, what a fabulous idea. One of those, "Damn, I wish I'd thought of that!" things.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 15:31:42 »
Innovative indeed --- looking as nice and functional as it does, you might be getting requests for blueprints.    Well done.

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 16:22:10 »
Storing the hard top of my car has always bothered me. Having it on a cart leaning up against
The garage wall, for me was never an ideal solution. Risk of damage always there.

This got me thinking. So after a few rough designs, and a weekend brushing up the DIY skills. I came up
With the solution pictured below. Now the Hard top is safe, dust free, and I now have a useful
Work bench, incorporating lights and additional power outlets I am pretty pleased with the result.

That is excellent. Only this weekend I've endured the "hardtop removal and place on stand in order to damage at my convenience" process. Taking this to the next level of utility, I'm sure a man of your obvious ingenuity drew plans and took measurements prior to embarking on such a venture (you can see where this is going...) so perhaps you'd be decent enough to photo your etchings and place them in this thread? That way I can copy them! It's a brilliant idea and I'm definiately going to do this - as soon as I have a house to put it in!

James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 16:42:02 »
This can't be real. Look at that garage!

I hope my wife never sees this picture of how clean your garage is................
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

Rothko

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, FL, Palm Beach
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 20:08:11 »
Brilliant.  Now if only I could find someone to build one of those for me.

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 21:10:20 »
Thank you for all your kind comments. Attached below is a quick drawing showing dimensions etc. as requested.
The unit is constructed from 2 sheets of 2440 x 1220 x 19mm MDF.
It very quickly became apparent that the weight of the thing would be a problem. I therefore added small wheels
hidden internally to Aid moving the unit around.

I am happy if this goes some way the help someones hard top storage problem. I doubt very much that mine will
Ever go back on the car.  
As you may be able to tell, I like a clean minimal look, and having the a hard top In the way… well something had to be done.

Best regards

DM
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 21:15:25 by alpinaltd »

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 21:33:36 »
DM,

To be honest, I was hoping for something rather more professional than this rather crude, almost indecipherable and amateurish scribble. Nevertheless, and without wishing to be thought ungracious, it will have to do. I suppose that with a few modifications I could make this work.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

(Secretly impressed).

James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL