Author Topic: Shipping from Central Pennsylvania to Mill Valley, California  (Read 7173 times)

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
My Uncle has been kind enough to make me the next steward of his 1964 Porsche 356C Coupe.  The car is Irish Green on Black, and is a black plate California car all matching #'s that his former colleague at UCLA purchased new in LA in 1964, which makes me owner #3.  The car is currently located in central Pennsylvania where it has sat in one of his garages for the past 8 years and needs to be shipped to my home in Mill Valley, California.  Has anyone shipped lately and can make any recommendations on vendors to go with or stay away from?  The car is currently not running and is in unrestored condition, but I think it probably makes sense to still ship it in an enclosed trailer so parts don't go missing at truck stops, motels, no-tels, etc.

Any recommendations from the group on vendors and pricing?  Also, is there a "trick" to get the driver to place the car on the front of the trailer so that it's not being unloaded and loaded multiple times across the country?  Maybe non-running = front of the trailer, not sure.

Thank you!

Nate
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Shipping from Central Pennsylvania to Mill Valley, California
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 21:05:50 »
Several members here, me included, have used a brokerage:
http://www.shipmycar.com/
For a small fee the owner does all the scheduling and keeps track of the transporter so you don't have to chase after the driver to know when he will arrive.

Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

1979speedster

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 21:55:20 »
If you go online to check for  shipping rates quotes you will be bombarded by Phone calls at 5 a.m. I know this because I just had a car shipped and then 25 more e-mails still kept coming.  I live 35 miles north of you.  I had at least 15 calls mostly from middle men living in Florida.  I would follow Al's advice.

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 11:43:22 »
I had my car moved from Springfield, MA to Duluth, MN. in January this year.
Kevin Caputo recommended Intercitylines which he had used.
So I used http://www.intercitylines.com/ It was a "white glove" service. Certainly not cheap, but all enclosed and covered.
I think it was $2,000.00 for the distance of 1,500 mi. In my case the relocation company took care of the bill. :)
Urban
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
1968 280 SL - 4speed manual
173 anthracite grey

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 12:07:21 »
For peace of mind, use one of the major nationwide companies that specialize in auto shipping.  Since time does not appear critical in your transport it would seem that some favorable rate could be obtained to complete a load headed West.  Whatever it costs it will be worth it since you will be relieved from the details of planning and the worrying about progress of the transport.  Pay your money and the car will be where you want it to be, when you want it to be, and intact.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 22:07:32 »
I shipped a 911 from Indianapolis to Cleveland using Further Racing (847-849-9480)  He primarily hauls for various vintage race programs. His truck is fully enclosed and very tidy.