Author Topic: Help - metal found in oil pan M189 engine...  (Read 7282 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Help - metal found in oil pan M189 engine...
« on: May 27, 2015, 03:53:58 »
I'm trying to bring my 1965 W112 300SE lang back to life.  Yesterday I changed the oil and ran into concerns.

First, there was a piece of metal in the drain pan.  I know this isn't a good sign.  I'm wondering if anyone can identify what this piece of metal might be.  The pictures next to a penny show it as I found it (except covered in oil).  The other two pictures are after I spread it open some revealing what looks like groves.  I thought that might mean something to someone.

After a little more searching around I found a third piece.  (the first piece broke into two pieces)  I'm pretty sure it's a nut, probably M6.  

Suggestions?  What do I look for?  Where do I look for a missing nut?
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Help - metal found in oil pan M189 engine...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 11:36:54 »
Wild guess here, Scott--connecting rod nuts?

Regardless, if the engine was "running" albeit even a bit rough before you shut it down to change the oil, and you pulled THOSE things out of the oil pan, seems to me like you rebuild/send for rebuild that engine. If whatever those nuts were meant to hold lets loose when running you could easily destroy the engine by throwing a rod right through the wall of the engine, rendering it 100% useless. Consider yourself lucky to discover these metal pieces now as opposed to when the engine is running...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 12:52:58 »
Wild guess here, Scott--connecting rod nuts?

Regardless, if the engine was "running" albeit even a bit rough before you shut it down to change the oil, and you pulled THOSE things out of the oil pan, seems to me like you rebuild/send for rebuild that engine. If whatever those nuts were meant to hold lets loose when running you could easily destroy the engine by throwing a rod right through the wall of the engine, rendering it 100% useless. Consider yourself lucky to discover these metal pieces now as opposed to when the engine is running...
Engine hasn't been running in 10 to 15 years, at least two owners ago.  Rebuild isn't an option - $20,000 to $30,000 - which is cost prohibitive to me.   I'm in the process of acquiring a rusting car with an M130 engine that was rebuilt 30 k miles ago in case a transplant is necessary.   Seems like a reasonable swap that hopefully won't  be too difficult...   Or am I fooling myself...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 13:28:37 »
Most likely some parts someone dropped down the chain gallery. Looks like the nut was mauled by the chain sprocket. The danger is any damage caused to the chain sprocket on the crankshaft.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 15:30:55 »
Most likely some parts someone dropped down the chain gallery. Looks like the nut was mauled by the chain sprocket. The danger is any damage caused to the chain sprocket on the crankshaft.
Thanks Joe -
Are you suggesting that the valve cover was off and a nut fell in, or that a nut came off of something internal and went down the chain pathway?   The engine cranks just fine and I'm hoping to start it within a month.   Is there something I should look for first, or is what damage is done done?
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Fintail

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 18:01:32 »
you can see a lot with a scope camera after draniing oil

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 18:19:08 »
Excellent suggestion.  Thanks.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California