Author Topic: Do rear axle bearings have a Life?  (Read 3268 times)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Do rear axle bearings have a Life?
« on: April 26, 2015, 08:55:48 »
Hi,
I am getting ready to disassemble my rear suspension and axle for my sub 100K mile automatic 113 for restoration and I am wondering if I should change the bearings in the axle because I am there or leave the originals?  I am not trying to save money by not doing them I am just of the opinion that the 1970 bearings are generally better bearings and if I clean them up and everything looks good my tendency is to leave well enough alone.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Do rear axle bearings have a Life?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 08:58:52 »
See how they look when you get them out and take a view. I changed the wheel bearings when I did my axle swap, but when Naj and I looked at the axle bearings they were absolutely fine. I think the donor car had something like 70k on it.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 14:42:26 »
I would repace all of the seals and have look at the bearings for signs oof wear. When the seals wear out they let gear lube pass and it washes all the grease away. Although the bearings never really run dry, they are designed to be lubed by grease and I suspect this advances wear at a higher rate than would normally happen.

There has been some discussion lately about the right rear wheel bearing. I would not, under and circumstances, use a regular ball bearing as found on the left side of the axle. The right side uses a special low speed,  high load,self aligning bearing of the barrel roller type. Some have suggested that you can use the twin row ball bearing type, which you can, but I advise against this. Yes, the original type bearing is a bit harder to find, and yes, it's considerably more exspensive, but this isn't a place to cut corners with the purpose navigating them.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Ron500E

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 15:55:27 »
Bearings and seals are cheap when things are apart; getting stuck by the side of the road, potentially damaging other things, towing the car home, etc.... is not.
The cost of a bearing is insignificant compared to the hassle of replacing it when you absolutely need to have it done.
On the other hand, it may go on forever with the old one in place.
The question is... do you want to roll the dice.
The right side is around $95.00 - $100.00 from the usual genuine Mercedes parts sources. Quality OEM is probably about 40% off that if you have the bearing number. SKF and FAG are good brands, there are others.
If it says "Made in China" or from a re-boxer like Beck-Arnley I'd stay away. Anything that has URO should be avoided like the Plague. But those are just my experiences. Buy quality, buy once.
I'd replace just for the "piece of mind" value of it.

Kind Regards,
Ron

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 17:13:00 »
See how they look when you get them out and take a view. I changed the wheel bearings when I did my axle swap, but when Naj and I looked at the axle bearings they were absolutely fine. I think the donor car had something like 70k on it.

I agree.
Do change the end wheel bearings with the correct replacement
Changing the crown wheel and pinion bearings opens up a whole new can of worms.
You have to know how to set the preload on the pinion, besides shimming it correctly. Same for the crown wheel.

naj
68 280SL