Author Topic: 66 230sl alternator questions  (Read 6090 times)

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
66 230sl alternator questions
« on: March 27, 2015, 19:26:30 »
Hello,

I pulled the alternator on my '66 230SL (red light, no charging).  I cannot find a part number on the alternator, only 'reman ch324'.  The old alternator (and wiring in the car) has spade connectors for the lower 3 connections.  I noticed that some of the standard sources indicate 'stud' terminals, but don't know if that is just at the top for the primary connection, or includes the lower connections (in photos looks like studs below as opposed to spades). 

Does anyone have a part number for the alternator, and any suggested sources??

Thanks -- Roger
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: 66 230sl alternator questions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 20:17:43 »
Roger,

An alternator is one of the easiest things to replace or repair.

First, you can always take what you have (since it came off, it should go back on easily) to any auto electric shop. They'll rebuild it quickly. I don't specifically know what's in your neighborhood, but surely there are a few.

If you want an exchange, usually non-branded, you can go to nearly any foreign auto parts store or even a Pep Boys or similar, and if they don't have it they'll get it quickly.

Third, order a Bosch factory remanufactured. Autohaus AZ has them for ~$75.00, and you'll have to send back the core. With the shipping, and since you have it out, you might just find a Bosch parts store in your neighborhood to order a Bosch reman for you.

Lastly of course, you can always get one from the Classic Center, or any dealer.

This was listed not in order of importance, but perhaps in ease or cost...lowest $ to highest $$$...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 21:17:27 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 22:41:49 »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I found a local guy (that used to service my car) that sells Bosch remanufactured alternators - knows the car and knows me.  I should be set on that end.

I was actually surprised that it was a bit of a pain to get the alternator out.....  Getting it loose was no problem, but getting it out was a bit complicated.  I ended up having to drain the radiator and pulling the hose that runs to the bottom of the radiator.  That gave BARELY enought space to work it out from above.  Mechanically it did not seem possible to get it out from below.  Maybe there is a secret technique that someone can divulge !!   'Go back on easily' is not a description I am likely to use, although the rad hose is already off, and if the alternator wiggles back in successfully it will be ok.

Regards -- Roger

alchemist

• Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 02:40:12 »
I bought mine at Advanced Auto with life-time warranty for only $72. It fits and works perfectly. 

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 16:12:59 »
 ...'Go back on easily' is not a description I am likely to use...

What I meant, Roger, is a relative term: it's quite possible with a third party product (as opposed to Bosch) or some "revision" to the original, that re-fitment will not work or give you fits. But if it came out, it surely can go back in. It's with an unknown product that one cannot make that assumption!

Good luck and let us know!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 13:51:09 »
Well, I am not hearing back from my alternator sources......

I do have a question on the alternator.  Many of the alternators I have seen pictures of (like on eBay or Autozone) have what appear to be round lugs for the bottom 3 low test connections.  My alternator has spade connectors for the bottom 3, but I cannot find a part number on it anywhere.  Does anyone have the part number for the alternator with 3 spade lugs at the bottom (standard lugs above for the high test line of course) ???

I don't know if it is just the SF bay area, but I also cannot seem to find any alternator rebuilders.  I know working on cars here is extremely passe, and shops like new parts, but you would think there was someone lurking around that could still service these things.  Maybe just not looking in the right places...... 

Thanks -- Roger

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 17:51:53 »
AFAIK, the spade connectors are not original to Pagodas, but they were used on other European cars, e.g. Volvo.
Your car probably started life with an early alternator with all stud + nut fixings.
If I had to tinker with the wiring, I would choose a later 55 amp alternator as used on the 70/71 SLs. A new Euro plug and terminals would be required.
You can get one with an internal voltage regulator. Besides the two heavy cables, you only need to connect one small wire (D+) for the charging light

More to think about

naj
68 280SL

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 00:34:25 »
Hi,

Sounds like either I get mine rebuilt somewhere, or I do some retermination of the connection wire(s). If I end up with the later alternator, then it sounds like I will need to fit a lug connector to one of the low test wires (and the other two low test wires can just be isolated and hang there)?  Are the three lower lugs threaded, taking standard lug connectors?

Is the later alternator compatible with my existing alternator with regards to the fan and pulley?  Will the 55 amp alternator cause any issues with my wiring system, as I think the current (or former) alternator was 35 amp?  Also, is there any size difference - If bigger, getting it in will be a pain.  I will take a look at the 70s version and check out the terminal block arrangement.

On my alternator, the two heavier cables were both on one lug.  I hope that is typical ??

A lot of questions, and I appreciate the help. 

Regards -- Roger 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:57:47 by rogerh113 »

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 08:41:54 »
Hi, Roger,

The 55a alternator is virtually the same size as the 35a alternator, only the internals are different.

As you can see in the picture, the two wide spades are on the same rivet. The two heavy B+ wires go on there.
The D+ takes the blue wire.
You should be able to buy a plug and 3 terminals from the classic center (2nd picture shows aftermarket plug and terminals)

An exchange Bosch alternator may well come with a sheet metal fan. The Old pulley should also fit

naj
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 09:20:47 by Naj »
68 280SL

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 14:00:00 »
One of my local sources finally came through with a generator rebuilding shop.  Taking the path of least resistance, I will drop it off today.  At least that way I can be assured that it will fit  and I will not have to modify the wiring (perhaps a good rainy day project, but there is much going on now).  Hopefully the car will be up by the end of the week!!

Regards -- Roger

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 02:50:52 »
Finally got some time and reinstalled the alternator.  Went back in MUCH easier than it came out (as is often the case), and works fine. 

It was also great to find a shop locally that retains the equipment and skills to rebuild these things.  The last time I saw a shop like that was about 20 years ago when I had a radiator rebuilt in a great old shop (probably not there any more).  Good to still be able to find craftsmen if you look hard enough.....almost like hopping in the wayback machine.

Thanks and regards -- Roger