Author Topic: Request for photos of 280SL Automatic Gas Pedal and Kickdown switch  (Read 5248 times)

w113abudhabi

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Wigston
  • 1970 280SL Papyrus White / Red
Dear fellow W113 owners

To help understand better and overcome some current issues I would be most grateful if the owners of automatic 280sl vehicles would share photos of their accelerator pedal and the kickdown switch. Currently the two are not contacting on my car so I would like to see if their are any parts missing from either the top of my kickdown switch or the rear of my gas pedal.

Many thanks for all responses,

Pierre

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Not great photos --- but you can see a working switch and profile of accelerator pedal. 
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

w113abudhabi

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Wigston
  • 1970 280SL Papyrus White / Red
Thanks kampala. Those pics are really helpful.

Madmerc

Re: Request for photos of 280SL Automatic Gas Pedal and Kickdown switch
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 02:47:49 »
salam wu alakum  ha bibi

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Request for photos of 280SL Automatic Gas Pedal and Kickdown switch
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 12:40:17 »
Thread resurrection alert...

My kickdown is working fine. As long as I exert a little "inboard" pressure on the pedal. On checking the alignment, it is the rod to the rear of the pedal that is engaging the kickdown, not the flat rear of the pedal.
My initial though was that I had something missing from the back of the pedal rod - eg a flat "button" that provided a bigger/flat surface to engage the kickdown. However, the picture above suggests that it is the "board" of the pedal that does that job

There is a little lateral play (inboard/outboard) at the upper end of the pedal, not much but that does allow the pedal to "miss" the kickdown.

Does that make sense? - and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather