Author Topic: A sad day for trekkies!  (Read 4336 times)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: A sad day for trekkies!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 22:21:23 »
'Tis indeed.

Spock's final tweet:

"@TheRealNimoy

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
Re: A sad day for trekkies! My Lunch with Spock!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 12:03:56 »
When I was 17 year old, I had a summer job in the Automotive Department of a store called "Two Guys" near my home on Long Island, NY.  On day, my manager tells me that I have to pick up a person at Kennedy Airport and drive him to and from the store.  After seeing my car, he asked me to borrow my dad's 1970 Pontiac Bonneville.

It was Leonard Nimoy and his manager/handler. No entourage, no limo. I picked him up at the airport, drove him 45 minutes to the store and the store manager met us at the back door and whisked him off to make an appearance for the new "Star Trek" action figures.  I remember being asked to go to lunch with them, and them talking about private planes and what airports they liked to fly into.  For the first and last time in my life, I was quiet as a mouse.  He was nice to me, and gave me an autographed headshot which I may still have somewhere, but I though he was kind of aloof.  I had recently met Dr. J, who was far more engaging.  I drove them back, without asking about Kirk, Checkoff or Sulu.  There was no talk of any impending movie.

In retrospect, I cannot imagine how he felt being picked up and driven by an acne-laden adolescent in his dad's car.  Must have been humiliating for him.  But then, those were different times.  I think know what cheap bastards the store people were.  Just glad I didn't wreck the car then.

I hate losing these boyhood heroes.  He was a great actor who helped create a great character in an enduring series.

Mike Mizesko
Columbus, OH
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:08:19 by mmizesko »
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive