Author Topic: Building a Sub Frame dolly -  (Read 5004 times)

Kazoo

Building a Sub Frame dolly -
« on: February 01, 2015, 20:07:48 »
I've got my engine out and am ready to drop the subframe out, would any one have any guidance on building a dolly?  Anyone got a picture of one that worked well?  Wondering what might be best...I was thinking that it should be positioned in the middle so that I can work on rebuilding the suspension on the ends...but it will have to be high enough so that the rotors don't hit the floor...

Thanks,

Wayne 

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
Re: Building a Sub Frame dolly -
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 21:04:19 »
It's a pity your engine is already out. What I found most convenient is to take the suspension apart by undoing the lower control arm and lowering it down slowly with a jack. This allows to get the springs out by using the weight of the car. Then remove the engine and finally the subframe. Without the suspension components the subframe is quite light and easy to move around, no need for a dolly. I then put stuff back into place in reverse order, suspension, hubs and brakes last.

Taking the suspension out while the front axle is out is a bit of a challenge: you need to use a threaded rod through the springs and control arms. It takes longer and cross fingers it doesn't let go. You may have it easier putting the engine back in place just for the weight and out again after taking the suspension components out.

Kazoo

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 23:06:30 »
Well its one of those thing...I had no intension of getting in this deep...so there was no planning ahead - sadly!  I was really just going to do a little detailing in the engine bay, but before I knew it, everything including the engine was on the floor.  So now I'm into a full on restoration and re-spray of the engine bay...but working around that sub frame is really a pain -- then I noticed that it was held in with just a few bolts....so now it is full disconnected and ready to come out.  Ass backwards!

Well in any case, I'm going to drag it out of there by hook or by crook and get on with the engine bay re-finishing before I take anything else apart!

Once I get that done, then I will have to decide where to turn next, the engine detailing or the suspension.

Hoping for another snow day tomorrow so I can hunker down in the garage!

W

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 13:29:22 »
I made a dolly out of a sheet of half-inch plywood and four swiveling wheels.  I used 2 by 4s between the wheels and the plywood to get it high enough to get my jack under it.  I jacked it up under the SF, released the SF, lowered it to the floor, pulled the jack out, and rolled the dolly with the SF on it out.

You need to be careful, because when the SF is released, it's unstable and wants to pitch forward.  So it's useful to have an "assistant" to steady it and some blocks to put under it.

Here's a picture of how Gernold at SL-Tech does it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 13:37:25 by ctaylor738 »
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 13:32:51 »
Kazoo:
I see that you are in Marlblehead, I live in Lunenburg.
I know a lot of what you are doing and know about jigs etc to complete your job.
Send a PM to sandcrab59 and we can go from there.
Tom M
71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1931 Model A Ford Roadster
1997 Corvette C5

Kazoo

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 15:22:57 »
Thanks so much ...thats gives me everything I need to know...I was wondering if it was going to have a tendency to go one way or the other...

Cant wait to get it out and have some freedom of movement in that engine bay.  Ive got it mostly prepped for primer...

Best from snowy Marblehead!  Another Blizzard today, perfect day to stay in an build a dolly!

W :)