Author Topic: Crooked Seat, am I missing parts?  (Read 4151 times)

donaldhewitt66

Crooked Seat, am I missing parts?
« on: January 22, 2015, 01:54:58 »
Hello, I am new to the forum and proud owner of a 66 230sl.  My driver seat is crooked and points me toward the passenger side instead of strait.  It appears on the right side of the seat, the peg doesn't sit in the guide or groove.  Does anyone have a picture or diagram of what should be there as i think that a part is missing or broke off which keeps the seat peg in the goove.  Also, does anyone know where ot get replacement parts for this if I am missing them?
Don

jaymanek

Re: Crooked Seat, am I missing parts?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:41:31 »
As no one else has replied, my understanding is that they are a bit off centre. There certainly seems to be more support on one side compared to the other.

Mine is the same and when I drive I feel im driving like an Indian Taxi driver, i,e. tucked into one side..

I had my trimmer look at it when I was replacing my carpets but couldnt see anything untoward.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 13:36:42 »
You both may be suffering from a problem I also had in my car when I first bought it. I remember investigating and finding that, on one of the two sides, the cogwheel that rides on the incline adjuster rack had slipped off the rack and was 'dangling' free below the rack. I put it back where it belonged and haven't had the problem re-occur in the 15 years I've owned the car. Sorry I don't remember more specifics but as I recall it was very easy to diagnose and fix, as in maybe a fifteen minute job. Made a huge difference in the seat and comfort.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 15:41:58 »
Cees,

You have just hit on something --- I didn't quite understand the original post --- I have seen where the incline adjuster has been pushed off it's teeth and that does make the seat crooked.  Here's a photo of the teeth and the cog that may help.
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 16:56:13 »
I had the exact same experience as Cees (except for the 15 year part because I haven't owned my car that long).
Additionally, I believe I discovered a nut or screw that was loose that allowed the mechanism to fall apart.
I re-aligned it and tightened it up.
Very easy job with the seat out of the car.
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 18:17:51 »
The spring is often missing that keeps the gears meshed and sometimes one of the three pins is broken/missing.

donaldhewitt66

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 04:22:51 »
I believe that I am missing the spring and/or pins.  It appears that the peg (for lack of better description) is not seated in the "track"  I will try to take a picture.  My only thought is to take out the seat and bend the opposite from the door bracket.  I have to jiggle the seat back and forth and push the lever to move the seat forward to get to the back.  It looks like this would be a common issue but there is very little google information or parts replacement discussions.