Author Topic: 66 230 sl...Automatic Transmission ..Philadelphia Area mechanic help please  (Read 8450 times)

Bacchus802

I have read all the great information here. I clearly need an adjustment and or repair of my automatic transmission.  I am totally non-mechinical and am seeking comments or referrals on a competent mechanic in the Philadelphia area who will determine what needs to be done and is able to do the work needed and/or install a rebuilt swap out.  I have researched the price of a swap out but do not know what to expect in charges to do the removal and install.  Less concerned about the cost, within the range I have identified, than I am with the experience and skill of the shop.  Could anyone give me a referral, they have used or have heard positive comment regarding.  I had lost my trusted mechanic years ago and have only had the regular maintenance done by shops I am not sure I would trust to do this type work.    Thanks very much.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
What is the history, and what kind of issues are you having with the automatic?
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Bacchus802

The transmission is down shifting with a clunk, and sometimes will not shift into 4th. In reading the fault indications on this site these are characteristic of needing an adjustment of the transmission and/or transmission fill.   I would like to find a mechanic capable of a diagnoses and capable of doing the work needed.  If in fact it is a swap out for a rebuilt being able to do that with competence.  Historyl, the car has down shifted loudly on occasion and has experienced slow trans fluid leaks.  The refill usually worked for a year or two.  I am not adverse to doing the rebuild swap but would like to hear it is needed by one capable of doing the job.

Bacchus802

Philadelphia area garage, highly recommended, excellent references and experience with Pagoda w113.  Appointment scheduled for the first week in January 15.  I will offer a comment back after my visit.  For those in the area here is what I have found:  http://www.garttmeyerautomotive.com

Thanks

SilverSpear

• Senior
  • Saudi Arabia, Ar Riyāḑ, Riyadh
On a related note, two days ago I tackled the tranny in my overhaul process. It was all covered by a 1/2" thick gunk, grease, oil, dirt.... Couldn't see the nuts or anything that resembles metal.
Used gas to clean it up to what you can see in the pictures. Discovered the tag too!  ;D

Now I need to tackle the mechanism of the tranny, especially the discs, band, seals, filter, etc... everything that needs replacing to make a brand new tranny again.
Can anybody please help me out with part numbers?
Early 67 Pagoda 250SL - Under comprehensive restoration

SilverSpear

• Senior
So... none of the members here refurbished their tranny?

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Spear,

There are many here that like to dive head first into extremely complex tasks, and other that like to leave the repairs to experts. There is a huge difference between simple maintenance items (fluid changes, brake changes etc.) and even more complex shade tree mechanic items (radiator and water pump change) and restoring a transmission. I wouldn't touch the inside of a transmission unless I had the experience to do so.

If you want an exchange, or want to have it exchanged, try European Transmission Exchange in New Jersey.  http://www.europeanexchange.com
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 22:45:23 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

RonB

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, MN, Cottage Grove
I have used the Euro Tranny Exchange. Excellent work.  :D

The only thing with exchange is the numbers on the tranny does match.

Could send your own tranny to them and they will rebuild it. Then you have matching numbers.
Previously FULL Member twice with over 500 post

71 280SL - SOLD on BAT
97 E420      SOLD
85 300D      SOLD
85 R107 380SL
07 Volvo S60

rgr69SL

• Junior Level
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
Hi,

I ordered all the seals via Tom Hanson at the Classic centre and he did all the work getting the required info together for me after I advised I was getting my gearbox repaired. Attached is the list of the internal seals only he put together for me but I also ordered seal rings 100272011552 x 4  and you will need to add the gasket kit and new filter which I already had. I did not replace the discs as they were in good condition and bands were unavailable . Another part to consider getting is the modulator diaphragm as mine needed replacing as well. As mentioned often on this forum, Tom was great to deal with and super helpful to answer my many questions and sort my requests.

cheers
Greg
Greg Rawson
1969 280 SL

m300cab

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Pennington New Jersey
The clunk on downshift may have anything to do with the internals of your transmission
and may have to do with how your intake manifold is set up!
Michael Parlato

SilverSpear

• Senior
Michael, wish I was living in the US, would make my life much easier.
I am looking to purchase all gaskets, filters, seals, etc... to have the tranny refurbished locally. There are excellent mechanics who can pull this sort of thing successfully around here.
Just need a list of potential seals and parts that are prone to wear by time.

Thanks rgr69SL for the list. Will try to find the discs/band numbers, hoping I can find them somewhere in this World. Either a full refurbishment, or none...

Thanks

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
I rebuilt and repaired many of these automatic transmissions over the years. Nine out of Ten worked out great. That tenth one was a-----------!   Unless you have a test stand (which I do not) to test the rebuilt units, you could be in for a very bad and expensive experience. I would suggest leaving the rebuild to the pros who can bench test them before installation.  On the other hand, you can make sure the linkages are correct, the fluid level and type is correct, the filter is clean,the transmission solenoid and it's linkages are woking properly and the modulator adjustment is correct.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Unless you have a test stand...you could be in for a very bad and expensive...I would suggest leaving the rebuild to the pros...

When this kind of polite suggestion comes from Joe Alexander...might be worth a second thought, for those thinking about trying the DIY approach. Just saying!  ;)
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

SilverSpear

• Senior
Guys, again not a DIY. My mechanic who is specialized in vintage Benz and owns and DD a 1968 280SE since 25 years, will be overhauling both my engine and tranny. I just want to source him replacement parts for both units.

The injection unit will be cleaned, refurbished (if needed) and calibrated by someone who has been doing this all his life.

Again my problem lies in sourcing genuine parts.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
 I am sure that the Classic Center and MB still supply parts for these units. Surprisingly, Autohaus AZ has rebuild kits, clutches etc. for these unit, decent prices also. Not sure how complete these kits are.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 22:21:22 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Spear, I can only imagine the great difficulty in sourcing parts, and even getting them into Beirut...not to mention life itself there.

The sources have been named here--Classic Center (would probably be Germany for you, not USA), Autohaus AZ, and others.
However, you indicate that your mechanic specializes in vintage MB...and will be overhauling. Wouldn't he know the places to go to get the requisite parts, and wouldn't someone so experienced know exactly what he needs?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 21:25:15 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid