Author Topic: Sad Pagoda  (Read 14142 times)

Benzo

Sad Pagoda
« on: December 16, 2014, 18:34:45 »
So a couple times a year I go to Tennessee to visit family. The first time I was there, 3 years ago, we were driving down a road in the middle of nowhere. If you have never been there I highly recommend it. The views are spectacular.
Anyway, I was riding in the passenger side of the vehicle taking in the scenery and looking at all the cars on blocks in the front yards. The massive amounts of abandoned cars down there amaze me. I was thinking of all the cars that might interest me then I saw that special one. It was a silver Pagoda and it was in the middle of a yard!  We stopped on the way home because I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I knocked and no one answered.
Over the next 3 summers we traveled down there 4 more times. We stopped by each time and no one ever answered. The only life we saw where a bunch of small dogs that came to the window when I knocked. The yard was always mowed and nice but no one was ever home.
Three weeks ago we were heading back for a visit so I decided to go prepared this time. I was taking a letter to leave if they weren’t home asking them to contact me. If they were home this time I took some money to show them that I was very interested in buying their car. We showed up and knocked once again. They were home!! I thought it was my lucky day. I worked my self all up thinking about how awesome it would be if I could buy that car. All the things I could do, all the dreams of fixing it up, driving it or selling it!
When she answered the door I lost all sense about me. I just blurted out “I’m from Ohio and I would really like to buy your car. I have one very similar. Here is some money I brought with me.” Then I realized I sounded like a little kid trying to buy a toy for the first time. She stuttered a little at my lack of social skills at the moment and said it wasn’t for sale. I composed myself and tried to talk her out of the car. We had a good conversation and she was very knowledgeable about the history of the car. Her uncle had owned the car until he passed away 15 years ago and that’s how she got the car. She said she drove it a few times and loved it. It was in their garage for a few years until they needed the room and they pushed it outside. She said her and her husband were going to fix it up this spring. I offered what money I had one more time and she politely declined and said she has turned down a significant more money than that. I had no other options but to throw in the towel and leave. I asked if I could take a few pictures before I go and she said absolutely.
I walked sown to the car and began taking pictures. Her husband walked out and I told him of my conversation with his wife. He said He wished she would sell it, they aren’t going to fix it up in the spring because he can’t find parts. I asked if he could convince his wife to sell and he said she won’t sell it for anything.
Oh well, It made for a good story. Very nice people though, this isn’t the last time I’m going to stop by..

Here are the pics. Notice the plates were registered last in 1988.

Benzo

Re: Sad Pagoda
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 18:39:33 »
More Pics

Benzo

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 18:41:37 »
More

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 18:49:26 »
OK,  now this is getting fun.  

I sure hope you left your phone number.    Sending a christmas card thanking them for letting you take pictures and meeting with you is mandatory.   Assume that this car will be yours and you just have to be patient.

Keep your money in an account and let them know that you are available with short notice to purchase the car at any time.   Expect a call a cold windy day when their well freezes over - they will want the $$ eventually.

Good luck and don't give up.

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

Rothko

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, FL, Palm Beach
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 18:57:51 »
Man, I hate to say this, but are you really sure you'd want to buy that car?  It looks like it is going to need a LOT of work.

It's really a shame to see what was probably a really nice pagoda sitting out in a field now, rusting away.

Benzo

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 19:21:36 »
I like the way you think BonnyBoy. I did leave my number and told them If they change their mind I could have a tow truck there in an hour.

Rothko, It was in a little worse condition then I thought but with the recent threads of how much rough Pagodas are going for I had stars in my eyes. I could fund my Pagoda restoration addiction for a minute.

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 19:31:51 »
Wow Mike. 

I love your spunk.  Maybe she'll change her mind.

Mike Mizesko
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 20:47:19 »
I agree one car,  I waited 3 years ... just let them know that you are available ANYTIME CASH IN HAND, your patience and persistence might just pay off. Everyone thinks they are going to get to it themselves and fix it up for a few dollars, when cold hard reality hits them sometimes it is the squeaky wheel that gets the call. 
Bob ;D
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 21:35:11 »
Benzo, It must be frustrating to see this car sitting where it is for someone like yourself and sort of dying slowly as the rust eats away on it like a cancer.

If I was in your shoes I would use another approach to perhaps in the end win the confidence of the lady for her to sell the car to you. First of course as has been suggested do let them know you have the money put aside to purchase the car whenever they are ready to do so. In addition here is what I would do to get to that point. Let them know that you are a member of this fine Pagoda SL Forum and that you can help them to get the car restored to the point that it is able to be driven again. I would properly find someone like Joe Alexander and pay for his time to go down there with me (once the Lady is okay with it) to check the car out and come up with some repair estimates.

I would get the estimate figures in three steps.

A) Cost to get the car drivable (it should include a good car cover to protect it from the elements if indoor parking is not an option.
B) Once the car is drivable a second estimate would include items that can be repaired / restored in 2 to 3 years down the road.
C) Finally make a list of long therm items that need to be addressed.

I'm thinking, once the lady sees the complete picture of dollars required to bring this fine car back to life she might decide to sell it to you. Why not give it a try ...
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

KevinC

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 23:08:31 »
Here's one I "found"...but in a repair shop lot... in the snow...

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 23:12:01 »
Looks bitter cold Kevin :(
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Benzo

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 15:11:29 »
Those are all great Idea guys. Thanks.

I'll do my best to make my presence known each time I visit down there. I'll try to make you all proud with this pagoda rescue!

Mike

KevinC

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 23:06:32 »
Looks bitter cold Kevin :(

Right you are Rolf...here it is after refurbishment...in a much warmer climate!

RobSirg

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 23:07:51 »
If that car was a RHD sitting in an Australian ( or English ) field the money offered would surely tempt them to sell.

Hope it finds its way to you soon. Damn shame to leave it rot like that.

Rob
1969 280SL Auto RHD 906G,  H'top 387H, Parchm't
1970 280SL Man. RHD Dark Red 542G, Bamboo MB Tex
1962 E Type Jag BRG with Tan
1974 White Alfa Spider 2000
2023 Range Rover
1982 280TE (my daily)
1967 Alfa Spider ("Duetto") Red
1977 Yellow 911 Targa
1991 Nissan Figaro
1959 190SL Black
1970 300SEL 3.5

jaman

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 01:33:16 »
It is sad. If they knew what they had they would find a place inside to store it. Best thing would be to sell it

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 21:50:00 »
This could be little more than a parts car. The worse thing you can do is leave a car outside on bare earth. The tires go flat and the belly pans sit right on the ground. Your best buy tactic would be to get air back into the tires and try to move the car ahead abut 20 feet. I can assure you that at least one caliper will be seized up and the tire will  slide across the ground. Attach your pull rope or chain to the suspension or you could pull the front bumper off! When they see all of the rust that was laying under the car they will probably change their minds about fixing it up. She did say that they couldn't get parts for it which really means they already changed their minds about fixing it up a long time ago when they did look for parts. What they really couldn't find is the money to fix it.
Since they're not trying to sell it, it will be harder to pry it away from her. He wants to sell it but she doesn't so you're half way there. I wouldn't pay too much for it though........
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 04:09:39 »
Too bad it is out in the weather now. It does not look very rusty. The radiator is not in the car. That may be a bad sign.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 12:01:00 »
Disclaimer: The following advice may speak poorly of my character or at least the "character" I was in my early 20's.

I used to buy and sell a lot of cars when I was younger.  Whenever I came a situation of a split where one person (Usually male) didn't want to sell while the other did I would wait until one of three events in the year,  Christmas shopping season, Christmas bill's coming due or April when the US Income Taxes come due.  I would call when I knew the person who didn't want to sell was away and would tell the other one "I just wanted to see if they were interested in selling the car yet and I wanted to offer them X dollars."  I usually heard from them in a few days and I was only threatened with bodily harm once.

In this case no need for subterfuge.  Just call her up around Thanksgiving and see if she is interested in having some extra Christmas money.