Author Topic: "Broadcast" your iPhone to FM Radio: no bluetooth required.  (Read 7267 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
"Broadcast" your iPhone to FM Radio: no bluetooth required.
« on: December 11, 2014, 20:08:28 »
http://mobileheads.us/fm-car-transmitter.html

This would make a lot more sense for Pagoda owners, of course, if the radio and speakers we had were worth a darn. Try as I might I cannot say nice things about my Becker Europa MU playing through that single speaker in the dash.

However, most of us have later cars, and if you also have a late model car with a good enough sounding stereo system and good speakers, and one you have NOT invested all kinds of crazy money installing a bluetooth adapter or iPod/iPhone adapter this little device might make some sense. Looks kind of cool.

Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
Re: "Broadcast" your iPhone to FM Radio: no bluetooth required.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 20:37:21 »
I can do that through my Tom Tom GPS jukebox
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 13:12:27 »
I can do that through my Tom Tom GPS jukebox

You can play all music files (mp3 and or aac); as well as apps such as Pandora, I*heart*radio, TuneIn Radio, iTunes Radio, and or other android/iOS radio and media apps FROM your phone, TO your TomTom, and then to your car radio?

My Magellan plays MP3 files from an SD card, but that SD card can only be 2GB and I had a hard time finding one! They are all larger than that these days...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 14:15:34 »
I have one of those FM transmitters but they are next to useless in Europe. FM bands change even for short drives. Finding an "empty" spot on the spectrum, then drive 50 km's and you'll be in range of a radio station that uses that empty spot and drowns out your own signal.

I'll stick to my external Bluetooth speaker…

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 14:26:34 »
http://mobileheads.us/fm-car-transmitter.html

This would make a lot more sense for Pagoda owners, of course, if the radio and speakers we had were worth a darn. Try as I might I cannot say nice things about my Becker Europa MU playing through that single speaker in the dash.
I have also not had good experiences with FM transmitters for playing through car radio.  I found that the Becker Europa with single speaker in my W114 250C sounded great.  The biggest problem people run into is when they try to change the speakers in favor of larger ones that want more watts.   

I have had very positive experiences with the plug-in thing that goes in the back of the becker and has a small box with a input jack that you can place remotely in the car. 

As for lack of power, I am (back burner) researching an amplifier replacement - someone is producing a cable that your head unit amp cable plugs into that can be in turn plugged into a "modern" amplifier.   I haven't gotten far with it, but it would solve the speaker problem completely.

Audiophiles need either a separate head unit hidden or a bluetooth setup that is hidden.  In my "modern" car (2010 Jetta) everything plays through the car audio system via bluetooth, which is extremely convenient as I generally listen to internet radio via my cell phone (tune-in is the app I use). 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 13:45:37 »
Personally I use either my bluetooth speaker or a $13 headphone. The latter sounds infinitely superior to any in-dash system out there, period. In the noisy cockpit of a 113 it's a welcome respite from road noise.

But everyone has their own ideas of what's good or not; I thought that this little FM transmitter for an iPhone was a nicely designed and interesting.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 14:46:56 »
You can play all music files (mp3 and or aac); as well as apps such as Pandora, I*heart*radio, TuneIn Radio, iTunes Radio, and or other android/iOS radio and media apps FROM your phone, TO your TomTom, and then to your car radio?

I'm not sure, I think when I'm connected to the computer I load the files onto the Tom Tom, it plays from what it has.  Tried it once for fun, never used it.  I listen to the cars.
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 22:55:48 »
I use Sirius XM thru my radio.  Works great and I get the kind of music I like.  Don't have to worry about any stations moving or fading out.  Only problem is that I pay a monthly fee for its use.  However, I have it bundled with my other two cars.  All you have to do is set a predetermined channel, usually one that is not used by broadcasters.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 01:03:50 »
Mike, in Florida it is illegal to use a headphone on both ears while driving.  Rationale is it blocks the sounds of sirens and warning horns.  Although, I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for that.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 14:35:31 »
Mike, in Florida it is illegal to use a headphone on both ears while driving.  Rationale is it blocks the sounds of sirens and warning horns.  Although, I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for that.

Deaf people can't get a license in FL??? Actually I can hear all the external sounds (not that this matters with the law, I know) even with both small headphones in. With the roar of the engine at 4000 RPM and road noise and wind noise, hearing anything far away like a siren is a challenge. If I don't have headphones in, its those little foam earplugs I also use when using power equipment!
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid