Author Topic: What hardware required to reassemble grille pse?  (Read 4423 times)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
What hardware required to reassemble grille pse?
« on: October 23, 2014, 06:30:03 »
I've finally had my grille surround, star and barrel rechromed having had the dents knocked out and the tip of the star soldered back on, and it's come back unassembled. The original nuts and bolts haven't come back. Can anyone provide any info or pictures of the hardware needed to put the thing back together? I'm probably going to use stainless fittings, and security screws to attach the grille to the car, but have no clue what the original nuts and bolts looked like that join the star, barrel and grille together, as well as the 2 central cross pieces.

Grateful for any pointers or pics.

Thanks.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: What hardware required to reassemble grille pse?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 17:16:43 »
Hi James,
here his color coded picture that might help you getting most of the screws and nuts to the correct location.

Some time ago I started to put this together but never quite finished the project because I noticed that you can buy the hole set - from partial to complete - from this vendor and you'll get an instruction sheet also.
It will cost you a lot of time finding these parts in stainless steel and then they might not fit well. I would buy the set and I know from experience that the quality is very good.

http://chromschrauben24.de/cb_details.php?p_id=361&page=chrom_blech_teile
http://chromschrauben24.de/cb_details.php?p_id=362&page=chrom_blech_teile
http://chromschrauben24.de/cb_details.php?p_id=687&page=chrom_blech_teile
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 17:50:24 »
Outstanding, Alfred. Thank you. I will get the multi-lingual family members - ie, everyone but me - onto this next week.

I will report back!

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 14:20:30 »
Just went to re-assemble my newly and superbly well rechromed grille only to find that I am missing 2 screw from the kit I assumed would contain them.

Can anyone help with a PN or descriptor for the two countersunk screws that hold the star in the barrel? Looking at Alfred's really helpful picture below, the screws I need are the small countersunk two on the bottom row of screws (not the bigger one on the right).

Grateful for any advice.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 18:06:54 »
James,
any countersunk (lens head, flat head, Philips or slotted) M4 x 6mm stainless or chromed screw will do. I have tried to find the p/n for these screws in several Mercedes spare parts list but they are not shown. I assume the reason is that the star was only sold together with the barrel.
See my photo here: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=18284.msg154945#msg154945
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 21:22:10 »
Thanks for your post and the additional pic, Alfred.  I'll start digging around. Having come back from Germany and being London-based seems to present fewer obvious opportunities to find car bits. I suppose I'm not looking hard enough!
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 22:12:48 »
Oooh, you're back

Fingers crossed your job is safe. And that we all are too! Must get together for a cuppa once the weather improves
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather