Author Topic: Clear or Green tinted glass  (Read 2445 times)

Albert

Clear or Green tinted glass
« on: October 01, 2014, 18:04:56 »
Hello All,
I've now sorted a deal for a complete set of new glass for my Pagoda.

Clear or Green tinted glass??
Advice please.

Regards
Al

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Clear or Green tinted glass
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 19:42:33 »
I think it depends some on the look you prefer and some on the practicality. Tinted glass, especially if combined with metallic colours, makes the pagoda look more modern than clear glass and solid colours. The practicality is that tinted glass cuts the glare and heat a little, but in the UK that may be less of a consideration.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

RobSirg

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Melbourne
Re: Clear or Green tinted glass
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 03:55:35 »
Hi Dave,

I contemplated this question myself recently.

My 1969 280SL (grey blue which is a metallic colour) has already been restored and still has the original factory tinted glass (green and also had the green strip on the windscreen) but I didn't know my glass was tinted, until I was introduced to some friends and we all met with our Pagoda's. They kept going on about how good mine looked with the tinted glass compared to theirs which had clear. I had to replace my windscreen which was done locally and was replaced with tinted (without the top strip) and all these new friends wanted to know where I sourced it. (unfortunately, I couldnt tell them as it was done by a panel shop who couldn't remember the supplier).

I recently purchased a Dark Red 1970 280SL which will soon start its restoration and I have often put the cars side by side in my garage to make a list of things needed, etc. The 1970 has clear glass and it just doesn't look as nice in my opinion, and that of my friends who have seen them together. So, whilst I don't need to replace all the glass on the 1970, I have decided to bite the bullet and go with tinted all round as part of the restoration.

I would be interested in knowing how your glass supply goes (regardless of whether you go with clear or tinted) as I will need to source it myself later. For now I intend to use a local (Aust.) manufacturer who can reproduce any auto glazing, incl matching the tint and the manufacturers stamp. Which is hopefully an easier and cheaper option than shipping from Germany but it is good to know when can still get if from somewhere. (I assume you are using SLS?)

Hope this helps

Rob

1969 280SL Auto RHD 906G,  H'top 387H, Parchm't
1970 280SL Man. RHD Dark Red 542G, Bamboo MB Tex
1962 E Type Jag BRG with Tan
1974 White Alfa Spider 2000
2023 Range Rover
1982 280TE (my daily)
1967 Alfa Spider ("Duetto") Red
1977 Yellow 911 Targa
1991 Nissan Figaro
1959 190SL Black