Author Topic: Flasher Knob Removal  (Read 6467 times)

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
Flasher Knob Removal
« on: September 23, 2014, 00:53:22 »
I have a 1966 230SL with the flasher on the driver's side kick panel.  It is mounted to a metal bracket by the threaded knob around the stem that the knob is attached to.  This bracket is then riveted to the kick panel using the flush head rivets.  My question is how to remove the flasher knob so that I can remove the flasher unit and rivet the bracket to a newly upholstered kick panel?

Very much appreciated,
Harry
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

harleydan

Re: Flasher Knob Removal
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 12:06:09 »
A picture would be helpful since that flasher knob placement is not standard.  However, there might be indents in the washer below the knob itself.  And if it has indents, turn the washer counterclockwise with your fingernails or a small screwdriver to loosen.  I had to do this to a similar removal and installation of the rear fog light knob located on the center console. Hope that works for you.

Danny
1970 280SL Silver Euro 4-speed

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 17:07:16 »
I have loosened the chrome ring with the spanner wrench holes and it is free other than being constrained by the knob.  On the heater fan control, the knob came off with the chrome ring.  That is apparently not the case here.  I can try to muscle it off but I hate to risk damaging it.  I thought there might be similar experience on the forum.  I'll try to get a photo loaded but I had hoped to do this work this evening so there's not much time.  Thanks!
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 19:38:49 »
Without a picture it is impossible to determine what sort of switch is involved.  M-B cars of the '50s/ early '60s had knobs that screwed onto the shaft.  Perhaps you have one of these? 

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
Re: Flasher Knob Removal - Photos Added
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 00:53:09 »
Here are some shots of the flasher.  I tried (gently but firmly) to unscrew and it didn't feel like that was the solution.  Your advice/experience is welcome!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 00:58:45 by Harry »
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 00:55:24 »
The other shot.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:01:40 by Harry »
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 06:54:12 »
The knob unscrews.  It shouldn't be that hard.  Then the bezel holds it to the dash.  The red plastic ring is just wedged between the bezel and the dash.  Here's a picture to show you...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:11:20 »
Good deal.  I very much appreciate the response(s) and the photo.  It's the little things about refurbishing that consume so much time.  Thanks again!
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 13:51:29 »
As for other switches...  the plastic headlight knob pulls straight off (harder than you might think) and then the bezel unscrews.  Fan knob comes off WITH THE BEZEL so unscrew the bezel on that one. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 15:55:15 »
Thanks Scott.  I actually have the others off.  This one was the uncertain one.  I appreciate your help.
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 13:52:54 »
As a point for others, I found that this knob was really tight on the stem - such that I was concerned that I might damage the relay if I twisted enough to free it.  I carefully held just the knob under running hot water and that freed it substantially.  It was much easier to remove.

Thanks again for the assistance!
Harry
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 15:29:08 »
As a point for others, I found that this knob was really tight on the stem - such that I was concerned that I might damage the relay if I twisted enough to free it.  I carefully held just the knob under running hot water and that freed it substantially.  It was much easier to remove.

I'm trying to imagine how you would do hot running water on the switch if installed in the car...   but a hair dryer might serve the same purpose...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 19:34:15 »
No - as indicated in the full post/pictures, the switch was not installed on the car.  In the installed position, it would require an alternate approach.  Perhaps a hair dryer would suffice.  My only concern there is taht the hot air would take so long to heat the knob that by then, it will have also heated up the switch.  May not be an issue.  I don't know.
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 11:51:49 »
Grab the stem with a pair of needle nose pliers and twist the knob off the stem.

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 15:58:23 »
I tried that early on, with no success, but it is clearly an option worth pursuing.
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic