Author Topic: 46 years young  (Read 6147 times)

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
46 years young
« on: September 19, 2014, 01:37:11 »
 Today we celebrate another year of owning our Pagoda. It is hard for me to believe that it has been 46 years since I got the keys and drove it home from from the dealer. Along with an Omega watch that I bought in Geneva back in 1965, I don’t own anything “Mechanical” that still works: :)
 Today was also one of the nicest days we have had all summer as it has been exceptionally hot and dry since May. We took our car out for a wonderful top down drive and the car was particularly “Friskey” as if it knew today was special.
  The first picture was taken today on our drive just a few miles from home. It was some contrast from the 2nd picture which was taken at the same spot yesterday. In the the distance, an enormous  forest fire is burning in the Sierras which has consumed over 71000 acres since Sunday morning that is only 5% contained and will probably burn for weeks, threatening 1000s of homes. It is a real tragedy for this part of California and To make matters worse it was started by an arsonist who was arrested today. Since today was cooler and humidity higher, the fire “laid down” but warmer weather and high winds will be back tomorrow and the fire will flare up again. Winter, and hopefully rain, can not come soon enough for this part of the world.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: 46 years young
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 12:42:50 »
Congratulations John, what a feeling it must be. I bet on your trip this Summer in Europe you r mind must have been at times with your Pagoda thinking "how great would it be to have the Pagoda here right now"

Have you visited the place on your last Euro trip, you asked me about way back then when you drive thru that little German town in then your new VW that you took delivery of way back then?

The car still looks as good as the day you took delivery :)

Mine too will be 46 years young in about 3 months, however, I only own her for 16 months ... Still how time flys.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

49er

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 14:50:33 »
Hello Rolf,
 It certainly would have been fun to have an SL on some of the roads in Europe Particularly in Bavaria and along the Mosel (Peter H is a lucky fellow to have TWO Pagodas there:-). But I am afraid maneuvering through some of those narrow streets in the hill top towns of Provence and parking places that are a hardly a foot wider then the car would make a little nervous. Our little Golf seemed to be just the right size:-). We did visit Mittenwald but had no luck in finding the that tavern where way too much beer was consumed all those years ago.

Thank you for your comment about the car. Yes, it still looks as good as the day I brought it home but as for the owner, well that is another story.

John
1969 280SL 003820

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 15:19:01 »
But I am afraid maneuvering through some of those narrow streets in the hill top towns of Provence and parking places that are a hardly a foot wider then the car would make a little nervous. Our little Golf seemed to be just the right size:-).

Actually, a Pagoda (width = 1760mm) is narrower than a modern Golf (width = 1799 mm, with mirrors 2027 mm). A whole 26.7 cm (almost a foot) narrower.

All of us at the European Event loved driving our cars through narrow country and village lanes… During rallies I can quite comfortably squeeze through spaces that my normal car won't fit in...

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

49er

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 15:50:17 »
Actually, a Pagoda (width = 1760mm) is narrower than a modern Golf (width = 1799 mm, with mirrors 2027 mm). A whole 26.7 cm (almost a foot) narrower.

All of us at the European Event loved driving our cars through narrow country and village lanes… During rallies I can quite comfortably squeeze through spaces that my normal car won't fit in...

Peter
I stand corrected, again. I guess it just "seems" bigger from this driver's perspective.
1969 280SL 003820

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 21:16:00 »
I'm often amazed at how small old cars tend to be, particularly from the sixties and seventies.

Hope the forest fires will be contained soon. Is it my imagination or does your front end sit a bit high?
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

49er

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 16:31:43 »
Hope the forest fires will be contained soon. Is it my imagination or does your front end sit a bit high?

Actually, the car is very level with measurements taken from the front and rear rubber side moldings to the ground sitting at 16.5". The picture was taken on the crown of the road and facing up hill giving the perspective of a high front end.

The fire has burned about 130 square miles and has been slowed by the presence of a few welcome showers in the area but is still only 10% contained. We had thunderstorms last night which produced a nice light show but just a few drops. The smoke has been a major problem for many of the surrounding communities and I am sure fellow Pagoda owners J. Huber and Garymand who live to north of the fire can agree.

John
1969 280SL 003820