Author Topic: BMW Airbags  (Read 7603 times)

wjsvb

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
BMW Airbags
« on: September 16, 2014, 03:45:22 »
I have been staring at a quasi-driveable 2000 BMW E46 in my driveway for six months now...cars goes like stink, looks great but the airbag light is on and this is a nono in VA, even though airbag engineering calls for a ten-year useful life.  Hoo-boy!  But wait!  There's more!  Today's mail brought a recall letter from BMWUSA stating generally that shrapnel from these things have been causing injury & untimely DEATH to unaware passengers.  They want to see it.  Will this bail me out and can I get it back on the road without big bucks?  My bride has been grousing about my using her Jeep as a truck.  Maybe I can get on her good side as well.  Tomorrow I shall call the BMW dealer.  What will follow?  Wish me luck.  Jon
jon

67 250SL early
12 Jeep GC (gone but not missed)
69 300SEL 6.3 Euro project (gone but not forgotten)
81 280SL Euro 4spd

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: BMW Airbags
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 13:20:02 »
Well, John--I'd contact the local BMWCCA section, and speak to some experts in the area. At least, find the good independents who can evaluate things for you.
Airbag replacement for ANY car is [relatively speaking] frightfully costly, but just because the light is on doesn't mean it needs replacement. Balance what independents and perhaps some local experts may tell you with what the dealer says. Maybe it's all one and the same…

As for your bride, well a Jeep is a truck. Didn't she get the memo?  ;)
Rides like a truck, handles like a truck, so it must be one.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 13:52:37 »
Agree with Michael. Some BMWs are known for a seat sensor failure, which triggers the airbag light. E46s would fall into that category. Basically, the seat sensor that fails exists to tell the car whether there is a passenger in the seat and so whether to deploy the airbag in the event of an incident. You can buy from ebay, etc, a simple box that bypasses the sensor, but which will mean that the airbag will always fire regardless of whether a passenger is present. Cost of part is about  $10. Fitting time about 5 mins. I'd go down that route first as it's the least expensive. You should, though, look at the recall issue also given the risk of 'shrapnel!'
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

wjsvb

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:43:11 »
Mike & James:  Thank you!  I am aware of the seat sensor problem but wasn't aware of the go-around, thinking I had to go to an uph. place as my shop recommended.  There is now an official recall for the bag and, mirabile dictu, we got one for the Jeep too!  Apparently the same outfit made lots of bags for lots of mfr's and the ensuant lottery hit both sides of our driveway.  The parts, it seems, are not yet available so we drive carefully, and look for kevlar vests at garage sales.  The worst part of recalls will be the inevitable new car pitch while the parts are being replaced.  Mike, as for the Jeep's 4wd "truckness", she requires it as local malls have parking bollards and small moats which must be dealt with.  Jon
jon

67 250SL early
81 280SL Euro 4spd

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 16:11:48 »
...she requires it as local malls have parking bollards and small moats which must be dealt with.

…and this requires a Jeep? When she goes on some serious off-road (like 1% of Jeep owners LOL) I'll believe she needs one. As my friends here work for FCA, as long as they keep buying them, they'll keep making them. Whatever. They are quite popular at my daughter's high school with the girls; for some reason they all want a Jeep. The boys could care less.

I think that quite popular spare tire cover and or bumper sticker that says "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" was made for me, as I don't get the Jeep thing for daily driver, on-road use.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 20:53:35 »
I want me a Jeep, Wrangler style!   (Would prefer a CJ5, not quite decided yet).
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 22:11:33 »
…and this requires a Jeep? When she goes on some serious off-road (like 1% of Jeep owners LOL) I'll believe she needs one. As my friends here work for FCA, as long as they keep buying them, they'll keep making them. Whatever. They are quite popular at my daughter's high school with the girls; for some reason they all want a Jeep. The boys could care less.

I think that quite popular spare tire cover and or bumper sticker that says "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" was made for me, as I don't get the Jeep thing for daily driver, on-road use.

Jeeps are crap off road anyway. If you want to go off road properly get a Land Rover. Given the costs of running the damn things it makes you appreciate every mile fully. I used to love my Cherokee sport; it was like a LR Defender but much more comfortable (it seldom leaked water). The new Jeeps are utterly hopeless off road. Such a shame they've lost touch with their heritage.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

wjsvb

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 02:43:56 »
Mike:  I agree that, on the face of it, the Jeep makes no sense at all around here but we do have our reasons.  1) Faithful service: we have put over 400k miles over 25 years on a string of one Cherokee and four Grand Cherokees.  Total days in the shop other than routine service and an accident: ONE.  Before the Jeeps there was a string of Audis.  When the warranty was up fuggedaboutit.  Oh, and one Toyota Highlander amid the Jeeps.  Talk about a vale of tears.  2) Vision: she sits high and can see about. And there's room for the dogs.  3) The dealer is a friend, now unfortunately retired.  None of the dealer bs.  There's more, but you get the idea.  BTW, the 258/4.0 AMC 6 , now replaced, is one of the world's great engines: 7 main bearings, totally overbuilt, lasts forever (it dates back to 1936 or so, a Nash development).  The new V6 seems healthy enough.  Time will tell.  As for what's going on at the local high school, may I recall my days in that venue.  A four door car was NEVER safe to drive: bullies etc.  Jeeps were for farmers, hunting and such.  A '50 Ford Cpe was the key to success.  Jon
jon

67 250SL early
81 280SL Euro 4spd