Author Topic: Downtown Oslo  (Read 11802 times)

Solbekk

Downtown Oslo
« on: September 15, 2014, 22:56:24 »
Beauty spotted in downtown Oslo, Norway!

Well, admittedly I happen to know the owner, who is in fact identical to the photographer. Just happy with the picture, and wanted to share it  ::)

Instead you can spot the one error in the picture (hint: it's on the car somewhere)..

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Re: Downtown Oslo
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 23:20:43 »
Nice photo of your great looking Pagoda. Don't see a rear view mirror on the driver's side? Head light lens missing on passenger side?

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Solbekk

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 23:53:35 »
Thanks, John. The rear view mirror on the driver's side is there, it must be obscured by the angle.

However, the head light lens on the passenger side is indeed missing - well spotted!

Thankfully only the glass itself was smashed, looking for a new lens now. The weather in Norway has been unusually warm the last few days, could not leave the Pagoda in the garage despite her 'injury'.

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 00:48:26 »
Solbekk,

I was going to say that the headlights are incorrect.  The halogen bubs used were available only after 2004, and were not original to the car, which must be a 1969 or 1970 due to the headrests and the black rear view mirror.  I'm fairly sure the wipers are brushed satin vs. chrome as well.

And I guess the Nardi wheel is not original to the car, which could be counted as an error as well.

Take heart though, the picture is beautiful.

Mike Mizesko
Columbus, OH
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 01:44:42 »
It looks like the 'flat' headlight lens? These can be hard to find. You can tell from the Bosch part number--- 1305630067 (flat) vs 1305630005 (convex)
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

Solbekk

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 02:04:15 »
Thanks, Mike. You are close, yet not entirely correct.

The headrests were in fact available as early as October ’68. As was the black rear view mirror. The door mirror I mentioned (which you cannot see in the photo) would also be a clue do date the car as a ’68 model… or later.

And as you now may gather, the model year of this particular car is 1968.

Take heart though; you were right about the Nardi wheel :)

I use the car as a daily driver from April through October (if the weather permits), and I much prefer the Nardi wheel to the original plastic one (this particular car came with an ivory coloured wheel, which I have carefully stored). Not just because of the looks, but also the improved grip and the fact that I find the steering a little more involving - the smaller wheel does not reduce the number of turns lock-to-lock, but it changes the distance your hand moves while doing this.

I do have the 16” Nardi though, not the 15”. This is a little closer in size to the original steering wheel (17”?), and it does not block the view of the speedo/tacho as much. A matter of personal preference, I guess. As for being counted as an error; very easy to amend if need be.

Halogen headlights were announced sometime in ’68, though not actually available before a year or two later. As for the actual bulbs in place now, I'd take whatever provides the best light (this being a daily driver throughout parts of the year)..
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:07:14 by Solbekk »

Solbekk

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 02:30:18 »
Meyer, as you say this is the LHD "flat" halogen type lens. I did find one at a US site and was just about to order, but the part number enabled a more specific search that came up with a new lens being sold from Holland - closer and cheaper. Buying it in Norway was no alternative, it would cost me an additional USD 300 on top of purchase price, postage and VAT for the 'Dutch' lens.

Much appreciated!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 02:49:37 by Solbekk »

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 07:31:46 »
Most importantly, a beautiful car very well photographed!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 11:59:51 »
How about reposting the photograph without the digital enhancements so that we can appreciate the beauty of the car and its surroundings?

Solbekk

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 13:04:21 »
Not sure if that would help, the original photo is rather dark. Just a quick cell phone snap, prior to digital enhancement much of the surroundings especially were not really visible because of the shade. But the image shows ok my side, if that bad you may look into adjusting your monitor’s brightness and contrast.

Have attached an unedited photo, though - posing with a German first cousin once removed (1976 E3 3.0Si, not mine). 

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 10:32:09 »
Nice, will download the image for my screensaver :-)
Can't you skip the VAT by having the new lens sent to a friend in Sweden or Denmark that frequently visits Norway?

:-)

Ulf
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

PIP1947

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Australia, New South Wales, Darling Point
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 13:55:52 »
Dear Solbekk
Love your beautifully preserved and 'blingy' Pagoda, which is not dissimilar to my Tunis Beige metallic '68 280 SL. A gleaming metallic finish sits well on a Pagoda. Like you, I have the 16 inch Nardil steering wheel, which is nice to use. Hope you can source a headlight lense. Hope also to spot your beauty on my forthcoming visit to Oslo, next July. Regards, PIP1947.

harleydan

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 20:21:48 »
Found two non-standard features of the car:

1.  There is a windscreen near the rear "luggage/seating" compartment of the car.
2.  The is a side mirror on the passenger's side.

Danny
1970 280SL silver, Euro, 4-speed

Solbekk

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 21:03:32 »
Hey Ulf, next time I need something for the Pagoda I'll have it shipped to you..! I've already ordered though, moreover I even got a kind offer from a Norwegian member who happens to have a set of flat lenses available. Time to become a full member, I guess  :)

You can't have a blurry screenshot, Ulf, so I gave the photo a proper run through Photoshop! PIP1947; Blingy enough for you? Let me know when in Oslo.

Harleydan, you're right - in the name of safety and comfort...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 22:00:52 by Solbekk »

harleydan

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 02:10:48 »
There is also a white unidentified module on the back of the black center rear view mirror.  What is that....parking access module, toll road transponder, or garage door opener?

Danny
1970 280Sl Silver Euro 4-speed

Solbekk

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 14:49:31 »
Well, that's for the toll roads. It's actually attached to the windscreen, one of these days I shall spray paint that little box black..

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 08:47:45 »
I occasionally travel to Oslo (Drammensveien), so let me know - despite all your oil money you are taxed heavily enough up there :-)

Ulf
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

Erik

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 17:08:59 »
Hello,

I wouldn't know if the halogen bulbs are original or not.
But I absolutely know that this is one fantastic picture.

Composition, colors and of course the car itself. Awesome!
I pinned it. Check at:

https://www.pinterest.com/pietprecies925/mercedes-pagoda/

Greetings,
Erik