Author Topic: Gearbox / transmission noise  (Read 3673 times)

ricrose

Gearbox / transmission noise
« on: August 22, 2014, 03:05:20 »
I went for a 100km drive yesterday morning - a beautiful sunny winters day - but, 1k from home, on an incline, I started hearing a whining sound, a bit like a high pitched slipping fanbelt. It was certainly coming from the gearbox (1965 230sl auto) as when I pulled over and took it out of gear and the noise stopped immediately. Putting it back in gear and going slowly I recorded the sound and got home. Also the car seems to rev high (not that I took it over about 1500 revs) and not change properly.  ???
I am 300km's from where my BBB and other manuals are so I went through the forum and TM carefully but could find nothing that comes close to what I have.
If I was guessing (which is all I can do at this stage) I would say that there is a shortage of oil pumping around the galleries - but that is not based on anything other than sound and 'feel'. The oil is fine on the dipstick - clean and correct amount.
I tried to attach a sound file for anyone to 'enjoy' but the site does not allow it - I then converted it to a movie, but in the conversion all the detail was lost - so I may have to go out again (which I would rather not do) and make a video rather than a sound file.
Hoping that what I have described is familiar to someone as I really don't know where to start.ftp://

Cheers Richard

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Gearbox / transmission noise
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 06:46:07 »
Zip up the sound file and attach the zip file...
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

ricrose

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 07:36:47 »
Thanks Peter, just didn't think of it - was too focused on changing the file type. Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees!
zip file attached

Richard

Sept

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 18:54:00 »
For future reference a good site to use for sound is SoundCloud.com.  You can get a free account with basic storage and it will host various types of sound files. You will also get a url to the file that you can link to and share with others.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 12:37:11 »
Well it doesn't sound normal but I can't tell what might be wrong. Perhaps Joe Alexander can tell...
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 23:42:25 »
It sounds like a pump.  I've heard this noise or one like it.  It was my rear pump.  You take off the back tranny cover and its right there.  There is a (30 years ago  ???) Seems it was that pump and it was really easy to R&R and not too expensive. 

I'm sure some one here knows which other pump it might be. 
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S

ricrose

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 23:54:31 »
Thanks Gary - if it's only a pump I would be VERY happy.
Gearbox i$$ues are always pricey. I am sure it is oil related.
I'll let you know what I find.
Richard