Author Topic: My Becker Monte Carlo radio  (Read 8932 times)

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
My Becker Monte Carlo radio
« on: August 19, 2014, 08:03:02 »
The capillary tube temperature gauge on my 280SL has failed so I have decided to recover the dashboard MB tex at the same time  as removing it for repair.  In dismantling the dashboard I have pulled my Monte Carlo Becker radio out.  It is in very good condition and works well albeit on AM only.

As has been discussed in past threads this model is mono only and does not have FM either so sometime in the future I would like to upgrade to a Europa mono with FM (internal amplifier).  In the meantime I thought I would post some picture of it  which might be of interest to collectors or whatever as I haven't seen it mentioned much probably because it was the entry level model.

The attached photo of the back shows a 5 pin socket which I never knew it had.  Can this be used to attach a mono external device? Also there seems to be two options for the speakers, the conventional becker rectangular 2 flat pin socket, and a vertical rectangular socket with two round pins which I am currently using.  Why does the radio have these two options?  I do not have a plug for the standard one.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:07:35 by rutger kohler »
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
Re: My Becker Monte Carlo radio
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 14:00:42 »
Rutger,

This is a DIN7 connector which was designed to plug in external 8-track or cassette option.  Today, most people use it to connect a 3.5mm jack for an IPOD or MP3 player.  Works great, but make sure the player has enough output so your volume doesn't have to be all the way up on the radio, which will cause distortion.

Mike Mizesko
Columbus, OH
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 16:53:37 »
Rutger,

Sorry I didn't address your speaker connection quesiton in the prior reply.  The round holes are the only speaker connection.  The flat connector pins are for the motorizes antenna connector which is activated when the power is turned on in the radio.  I would not try to hook those flat connectors to your speaker, or you will fry it.

Mike Mizesko
Columbus, OH
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 20:26:16 »
You need this or something like it in order to use the jack in the back for mp3 / ipod / aux input:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151345044531

Note that the plastic cap has two metal pins in it.  Those pins are completing the radio out to amp in connection.  If you remove the cap you won't get any radio sound.  When you plug in the Becker Cassette deck it completes the radio circuit if you don't have a cassette in the deck, or connects the tape out to amp in if you DO have a cassette in the deck.

Similarly, you need a switch box on the other end of the cable if you want to run a 1/8" audio in to the radio.  This is because the switch box needs to have the smarts to connect the radio out to the amplifier in when you DON'T have a aux in device plugged into the switch box.

You will find cheaper versions that don't have the switch box, just a din plug and wire and an 1/8 audio on the end.  Since access to the back of the radio isn't easy, that means you are giving up on the radio capability entirely if you go that route.

As other poster said, the recessed spade connectors are switched power for a power antenna.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 20:30:30 »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 20:44:49 »
Or DYI as here: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Ipod
I notice that the writeup in the wiki has been greatly improved over the years.  My thoughts are that it's cheaper to buy one than to spend the time to source the parts and make the device if you only want one.  Having said that, if someone wants to make 10 or so, I would gladly buy 5 stereo and 5 mono for half the price of the ebay seller...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 05:36:44 »
Hi Guys, thanks for that.  Very useful. Could try mono through the radio with a plug and box set as you have shown on Ebay. Wouldn't mind trying making one but the electronic parts dealers you mention aren't here in NZ.  What about Jaycar, is that in America?

cheers

Rodger K
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

andyburns

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Drury
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 06:34:17 »
Hey rodger.  I made mine from bits at jaycar.  Cost about 15 dollars from memor
Andy Burns, Auckland New Zealand
1963 230sl
1967 250s w108
1969 BMW 2002
2007 Mitsubishi i car

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 08:56:29 »
Hi Andy, thanks for that, why didn't I ask you this afternoon!  Very interested in getting a parts list off you.

cheers

Rodger
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 07:14:17 »
Hi I have finally got around to getting my Monte carlo radio hooked up. I have got a Hirshman automatic antenna and just in the process of wiring it up.  Andy Burns has very kindly offered to help me with the final wiring, which I will probably take him up on but can someone identify what each of the two flat spade connectors on the back of the radio actuall do for the automatic antenna.  What voltage and polarity plse.
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 13:53:20 »
can someone identify what each of the two flat spade connectors on the back of the radio actuall do for the automatic antenna.  What voltage and polarity plse.
You connect the antenna to an unswitched +12V and to the switched +12V that is on the radio.  For reasons unclear to me there are two switched +12V spade tips in the recessed area on the back of the radio.  When you turn the radio on, those are +12V. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

andyburns

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Drury
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 17:58:53 »
The second switched output could possibly  be for  activating an auxiliary  tape player which was plugged into the Becker .
Andy Burns, Auckland New Zealand
1963 230sl
1967 250s w108
1969 BMW 2002
2007 Mitsubishi i car

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 19:36:16 »
Thanks guys, this will allow me to soldier on. Andy I managed to pull all the wires from the antenna over to the radio position by feeding a flexible conduit in from the radio end and then pulling them through it.  I had to cut out the inline fuse holder to do it but this is easily replaced. Much to my amazement the flexible conduit ended up in the kick panel area itself which was a real bonus.  After I got the wires over I pulled the flexible conduit out again.  I am thinking about picking up a contantly on 12V feed from the connector for the glovebox light.
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 09:15:45 »
There is a live feed on the door courtesy light switch, not far fro the antenna
Naj
68 280SL

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 19:21:23 »
Hi Naj, thanks for that, Andy Burns actually offered to route the permanent 12V lead to the fuse box and connect it to a kosher permanently on fuse, however in the excitment i routed all the wires over to the radio bay. I connected to the junction I mentioned earlier for the glove box light. Have finished the job and the antenna works well, and I have a connection for my phone over in front of the parcel tray to play songs.  Works well with a smal switch located under the dash to switch from the radio to the phone connection.
1972 280SE 3.5 auto