Author Topic: Sign for concours display  (Read 3325 times)

Jkalplus1

Sign for concours display
« on: July 21, 2014, 15:06:46 »
Gents,
I am trying to come up with some ideas for a presentation sign that would stand next to the car with the car's info and restoration details, like we see some competitors at shows use.  Most of what I see is plexiglas with modern lettering next to tuner cars, I was thinking of a A-frame 30 inch tall wood panel, Papyrus white like my car, with Dark Blue (like the accent colour for my car) MB Trunk Badge font for the lettering.

Good idea, or should I stick to a less pretentious standard letter-size printout stuck on the window?

has aanyone has ever done something like that, or if you could give me a feel for whether I am just spending too much energy on unimportant stuff or if it could be a good idea that could help give me an edge at shows I enter.

Have a good day!
Jerome

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Sign for concours display
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 20:59:53 »
Sort of depends on how and where you show the car. At the local show and shine events, pretty much anything goes, and is quite fun to read.

Some of the more serious shows won't allow any kind of display.

Don't have a feel for cost, but I have seen some pretty elaborate set-ups.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 02:49:48 »
I realize the subject is concourse events which I can't comment on. I occasionally show at local events and have a 24" x 32" foamboard sign which was made by blowing up an 8 x 10 Microsoft Word page. This shows mostly historical and technical data about the W113 line. The foamboard itself is velcro'd to a weighted down easel.

Quite a few people take the time to read the sign and that frequently leads questions or comments. A good easy way to spread information about our Pagodas.

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

KevinC

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 16:49:08 »
Jerome,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but Jeff Strong does a very nice job on sign/showboards. Most are for muscle car guys and a little loud but he can tone it down to a classier look...

http://www.strongkeepsakeimages.com/show-boards/

Also check out his vid..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcZl1Rmw6Qs

Kevin

Jkalplus1

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 17:29:40 »
Thanks guys!
JP

RonB

• Senior
  • USA, MN, Cottage Grove
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 02:52:44 »
Do you have a sign shop in your are? Check with them.

Also a photographer that has knowledge in Photoshop could design and make a file for you. Then find the media you want to use - pvc - metal -roll-up and have them

make it for you.
Previously FULL Member twice with over 500 post

71 280SL - SOLD on BAT
97 E420      SOLD
85 300D      SOLD
85 R107 380SL
07 Volvo S60

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 20:35:36 »
Here's a photo of my sign:

Many years ago, Automobile Quarterly, used one of my cars to illustrate an article on the 300 SL.  Twelve years after the article appeared I was leafing through a pile of posters at the Monterey Historic Races and was amazed to find that AQ had made a poster featuring my car along with a nice data sheet on the 300 SL.  Needless to say, I purchased the poster and brought it home to be framed.  At times, when not hanging on a wall in the garage, the framed poster is trotted out to do double duty as a display sign that never fails to stir up interesting conversation.