Author Topic: Softtop Window Seal - cut or not to cut  (Read 4113 times)

jedwards

Softtop Window Seal - cut or not to cut
« on: April 27, 2014, 02:28:24 »
Gentlemen,
I am installing my new soft top and was unsure whether the new window weather seal was installed with the vertical to horizontal "elbow" intact, as it is with the hardtop, or is it meant to be cut (as in the R107)   into the 3 sections my top had when I purchased it?
Naturally, leaving the elbow intact would provide better sealing, but will the top still fold? 

Thanks in advance.

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Re: Softtop Window Seal - cut or not to cut
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 07:17:59 »
Pretty sure it should be cut, others will confirm hopefully.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 12:52:43 »
I recently did this.
If you don't cut them, then when you fold down the top the seals will pull out of their channels around the hinges. And you have to cut them all the way through, not just the lips of the seals.
The right spot to cut the elbow is straight forward. However, depending upon how many shims there are under the soft top mounting, you may find that the bottom of the vertical seal appears too long and catches the door seal. I would not cut it there right away. Instead, I put a little silicone grease along the channel for the vertical seal to allow the seal to adapt, move, compress, etc.
In my experience the right spot to cut it for the top hinge is a little trickier to get just right. I noticed that the cuts in the horizontal arm of my old seals were not directly in line with the top hinge and had probably moved over time.
I put a little silicone grease in the top channels so that the seal could move a little. I cut the elbow first. Then with the entire seal in place but the top segment still uncut, I partially opened and closed the top.  Each time that I flexed the top hinge, I would have to put the seal back into its channel around the hinge. After a few times I was satisfied that the seal had found its happy resting place, and I cut it in line with the hinge.
Maybe overkill?
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

RonB

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, MN, Cottage Grove
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 16:57:00 »
Hi: Really appreciate your comments seeing that I am do the same in a few weeks.

Possible to post some photos?

Thanks Ron
Previously FULL Member twice with over 500 post

71 280SL - SOLD on BAT
97 E420      SOLD
85 300D      SOLD
85 R107 380SL
07 Volvo S60

jerrycastillo

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:20:27 »
Hello

I am planning to replace the window seals (front pillar and soft top) How do you attach the seals to the metal frames? Contact cement? The parts book mentions mounting clips. (Part # 113 938 02 78) How do you attache these to the seals? All advise will be highly appreciated!!!!

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 10:52:14 »
I did not use any clips or glue. The seals stuff very tightly into the channels and stay put, assuming the lengths are correct and the cut is in the right place.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 15:07:50 »
You need to use the mounting clips to stop the rubber seal migrating down/up.
You use two clips per chrome piece and the clips fit into the holes that are already drilled in the chrome (usually front and rear), I use a dab of glue to hold them in place whilst you fit the rubber.
Eric