Author Topic: stainless or OEM exhaust  (Read 10681 times)

InjunJoe

stainless or OEM exhaust
« on: April 17, 2014, 16:36:22 »
Hello All,

I am deciding on a new exhaust system, OEM or stainless.  I am in Lake Tahoe, CA.  Is there anybody nearby that has stainless that I can come and listen to your car?  All input is welcome.  69 280sl, manual.

Lee
530-545-0077

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Re: stainless or OEM exhaust
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 17:10:54 »
I have stainless on my 280SL and it has a bit more "resonance" then the stock exhaust system. I don't live to far down the hill from you. PM me if you are interested.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Le Raincy
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 10:56:22 »
I can confirm the slight change in exhaust "tone" with SS exhaust line, sounding more metallic and a bit more agressive in revs, but I think i like it!
Anyway, I couldn't cope with the eternal corrosion issue , as typically drive my car only 4 months a year and had to replace the exhaust far too often.
Moreover, the original MB exhaust  is even more expensive than the SS line...
Philippe from Paris
Euro '71 280SL manual 4sp

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 16:09:29 »
I have an aftermarket ansa exhaust on my car and can say that a friends stainless exhaust note is so much sweeter than my exhaust note.  Its definately note the same as a stock MB exhaust but I like it.   

I can say that I don't even like the sound of my exhaust but my passengers all think its pretty cool - agressive.     When mine rusts through I will definately go stainless. I think my friend's brand is timevalve.
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 16:59:39 »
I put a Timevalve stainless system on my 230SL in about 1989.  I remember noticing a "note" difference but after 25 years, my stainless system is still like new and any "note" difference has long been forgotten.  I don't even remember if it was better or worse than the original system, but the original system "note" changed as well, due to the rust holes in the mufflers and pipes.  SO THERE!

By the way, on a 69 V12 Ferrari, I also put an Ottawa, Canada made stainless system and after painting it with high-temperature satin Barbeque Paint and adding four ANSA stickers on the polished stainless outlets of the tailpipes, even the Ferrari judges did not deduct points for non-originality.

I'll never go back!

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 01:52:27 »
The stainless system I put in my car a few years ago sounds great, not tinny or raspy of whatever. Better sounding than the 'normal' steel aftermarket system that it replaced.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Mike K

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • South Africa, Gauteng, Johannesburg
    • Mike Kirkinis
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 06:43:04 »
I replaced my exhaust 2 weeks ago with a stainless steel version which I bought from SLS. I agree with Cees, the sound is great, not tinny, but rather throatier than the original.
A friend and I did it at home it took us all of 2 hours. Using plenty of WD40 on the old bolts at the manifold for about 2 weeks prior and then more WD40 the day before, the bolts came off seamlessly.

We used Hylomar AF non-hardening sealant on all the joints. Something to be aware of, is that the exhaust clamps on the stainless steel exhaust stand proud and will rattle against the heat deflector plate. I wedged a piece of rubber between the clamps and the plate which stopped any rattles. In fact we cut the old rubber hanger rings in half  and inserted these into the groove of the clamps.

Feb. 1971 Mercedes 280SL Auto  LHD (Last of W113 Series)
Aug. 1989 Mercedes R107 300SL RHD (Last of R107 Series)
http://michali.zenfolio.com
http://www.lebombo-safaris.com

ansteadeh

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 12:40:30 »
Mike K. Those rear wheels and driveshafts needs some support there.  Best not to leave them hanging like that too long...

jeffc280sl

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 14:21:21 »
I have the time valve system.  Installation is easy and welded joints from time valve are dead on accurate.

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 14:31:54 »
Mike K.

Same here, I also bought one from SLS. Th sound is great, but the good news is that the sound gets better with time after it breaks in
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Tal

• Junior Level
  • USA, MD, Frederick
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 11:08:47 »
I replaced the OEM system with a Timevalve SS unit . The biggest change has been the burbling noise I get when going down hill with foot off the accelerator.
It was suggested that the SS unit has less back pressure on the engine therefore the noise.

Does it make sense to increase back pressure by restricting the  exhaust tail pipe??? Could the exhaust note be tuned in this fashion?

Thanks 
Tal
1971 280SL
2010 Cirrus SR22

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 20:00:00 »
I know it sound goofy, but...I have a lifetime warranted Midas exhaust. At the time, I couldn't afford a whole new system from time valve and didn't want another temporary OEM muffler.  And yes took a look at the pictures of the parts in their book and I took a chance and had them order the parts.  Otherwise, I would have gotten a timevalve as I had one on a sedan and was very happy with it.

To my surprise, the Midas parts looked the same as OEM, part for part, even the extra length on the intermediate pipes.  But they are aluminized or coated with something to prevent rust in and out.  They even have the chrome tips and hangers.  I've had the system for about 20 years.  It is really disappointing to have a lifetime warrantee and never use it!

No shipping, no extra installation charge, and good sound.  You just have to make sure they carefully place and rotate all pipes and I think, take an inch or so off the interdediate pipes to get the muffler placed correctly as they weld them in.

North Shore or South Shore?  I'm along I80 above Auburn on your way to 49r if you want to hear it.

Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 20:40:27 »
Gary,  your comments made my day. 

I wish I knew about the "taking an inch off the intermediate pipes to get the muffler placed correctly" before welding.  I drove myself nutz trying to get everything lined up and finally gave up and just cut the pipes and figured that it would be my little secret I would take to my grave cause I must have done something wrong.  Now I find that its common....

Contrary to what my kids say I guess I am not as dumb as I look. 
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 21:20:11 »
These cars are something else.  Its hard to guess what they were thinking, often.  Maybe the same pipes are used on an SEL?
Gary

InjunJoe

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 19:56:45 »
Hi John,

I just may take a drive down before the snow comes.  Our cars have similar histories.  69 280SL, 4 speed no AC.  25 years ago my Dad had the car taken down to metal and brought back in the original color by Baron Von Frier in SF.  New factory short block at the same time.  All matching numbers no benders or hits.  Then garaged stored for 20 years.  Passed on to me June of 07.  Gradually replacing all support rubber, shocks, gaskets etc. 

Begining of this summer I replaced the coil spring rubbers and it made a huge difference in the stance of the car.  Yesterday I replaced the 2 year old bilsteins with konis and could not be happier.  Expect to hear from me in the next few months.

Lee

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 04:12:12 »
I have a time valve stainless system and yes the sound is a little different. But after two years, I can't remember why. In other words, it is not that important or significantly different.

I welded my joints and I ceramic coated the entire system with satin black. It looks factory but will last until the next ice age. 
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 12:46:12 »
Not 100% on point because the vehicle is a 280 SE 4.5, but I installed the Timevalve system 20 years ago ($420.00, complete).  I don't remember what the exhaust sounded like when new, but the OM system had deteriorated and needed replacement because it was very loud.  Timevalve was easy to install, looks and sounds fine to this date, and it even accepted the original chromed tips from the OM system.

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 21:17:11 »
In reading back through this I noticed the burbling question wasn't answered.  I'll take a stab.  As I have been 'playing' with my FIP, I was met with the burbling on lean mixtures.  How's that for opening a pandora's box? 
Gary

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 04:19:52 »
About 12 years ago I bought a nearly new Timevalve system from a forum member for next to nothing because they didn't like something about it. At first it used to sound a little loud to me and I would even go so far as to stuff a sock into one tailpipe on long trips bur over the years I have come to accept it or maybe I am losing my hearing.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 09:51:26 »
I just hosted a long-time Pagoda owner and former MBCA national President in a motoring tour in my 280SL. He remarked on the exhaust note sounding much like OEM instead of an aftermarket. He was surprised to hear it was a now 13-year old TimeValve SS! Do any of our cars sound the same?  ???

Garymand, those "lifetime warranties" on Midas, Speedy, et al are often misleading; it is generally for muffler/resonators only. When they go, it is rare not to have the pipes go too, along with clamps and hangars so you never leave the shop without paying something! In those cases the pipes can be downright costly, relatively speaking...been there and done that.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

rico_vancouver

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 00:08:25 »
I went stainless with Timevalve 14 years ago, and love the sound. The first 12 or so seconds of this clip give you a slight indication how mine sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOeCoHU5DA

I've only put on 10,000 miles in those 14 years, which is why I went with stainless. At only $500 back then, it was a steel... steal.

floatinghat

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 19:39:19 »
I went stainless with Timevalve 14 years ago, and love the sound. The first 12 or so seconds of this clip give you a slight indication how mine sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOeCoHU5DA

I've only put on 10,000 miles in those 14 years, which is why I went with stainless. At only $500 back then, it was a steel... steal.

This sounds great, I have a TV system and always thought it loud.  I hadn't driven my 280 more than 5 miles in the past 3 years until this weekend.  She drove and started well, however the exhaust is loud.  I wonder if when I had it installed they could have turned either the muffler or resonator backward.

I to have the burbble off throttle decelerating.