Author Topic: Hardtop doesn't fit - GAPS - after 2 years in my living room...  (Read 9856 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Our 250SL has been undergoing an mostly DIY restoration over the past few years.  We have FINALLY gotten to the point of reattaching the hardtop.  Rubber seals are all replaced and probably much thicker than before.   The problem is that it appears to have more of a gap between the hardtop and the body than I would expect, both as viewed from the inside and the outside.   Could someone tell me what I have done wrong, or if this is just "normal"???

thanks
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: Hardtop doesn't fit - GAPS - after 2 years in my living room...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 01:26:57 »
3 more pics
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 01:45:53 »
this topic seems to be quite popular with the season opening :D

here is one posted 2 weeks ago

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=20260.0
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 03:47:03 »
Scott,
my hunch is that you haven't really locked it down - that white cone in your photo is too visible.
Did you mix up the left and right handle? The horizontal locking pin is not exactly at an right angle with the lever handle and a left handle will not lock the right side.
Just a thought.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 04:58:41 »
Scott,
my hunch is that you haven't really locked it down - that white cone in your photo is too visible.
Did you mix up the left and right handle? The horizontal locking pin is not exactly at an right angle with the lever handle and a left handle will not lock the right side.
Just a thought.
I will check this again.  The white cone _is_ seated firmly in the chrome B-pillar cap, and both latches latch firmly.   The other thread is suggesting that 1/4" to 1/2" gap in back is not unusual for a car that has new weatherstripping...    Maybe it is OK.  It just looks strange.  But I haven't looked at it on the car for several years now so who is to know.  I need to look at another car or two close-up.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 14:58:55 »
The only question I have is why are you puttin' on the hard-top in Pasadena in the Springtime? !!  8)
James
63 230SL

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 17:26:42 »
The only question I have is why are you puttin' on the hard-top in Pasadena in the Springtime? !!  8)

1.  Because it's been on my dining room table for 2 years and I don't have a good place to store it
2.  Because it represents completion of a project that I started 3 or 4 years ago UG probably much longer, I joined the forum in 2008 and it was because I bought the car that we started fixing up at that time !!!!   Could it be that the hardtop has been in my house for 5 years????
3.  Because the soft top isn't nice and the rest of the car will look great without the soft top
4.  It gets pretty hot in the Pasadena area and most destinations are freeway destinations - I really don't care for convertibles on the freeway (odd, I know)

I'm much more likely to drive a hardtop car than a convertible.  I actually didn't know this when we acquired the 250 SL. 

Anyway, what I think I'm finding out is that it is supposed to look this way, even if I don't remember it looking this way...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 20:43:46 »
I don't Know if these are any help,
but we have just come in from a 200 mile drive today, and I have just taken these of my hard top fit.

Keep well

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 23:19:42 »
Took some pictures for you as you can see the gap is about 9 mm (0.35"). My hardtop fits perfectly with a somewhat used (nicely compressed seal) seal, the hardtop is nicely sealed. So I would say 1/4" to 1/2" should be fine and quite normal. As others said make sure all your locks are down and secure. I took no inside shots (due to garage space), however, if I did they would show the same as above.

Hope this helps you out.

First photo taken near right hand side in back

Second photo near HT centre line.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 23:23:42 »
Thanks much both of you for the pictures.  I think my conclusion is that nothing is wrong.
:-)
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 23:31:38 »
You see no worries ... you can sleep tight tonight  ;D

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 02:41:35 »
We took the car for the first real drive it has had in several years.   The first stop was the drive-through car wash (not the kind with brushes, just the spray water).  I wanted to see just how much water poured into the car.   I was please to find that it only came streaming in from the top forward door window corners and the lower rear door window corners - pretty much what I would expect. 

Tomorrow I will drive it to work!
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 06:35:52 »
Scoot,

Glad you are happier with the Hard Top fitment now, that is one of the great things about this site, always many willing to help.

If you are suspicious of water, it is worthwhile to check the 2 corner drains in the Heater air box, and the 2 front corner drains in the Soft top storage Box. If they are not clear water overflow can creep in and hide under the foot well carpets and "boot/trunk" mat/carpet.

Your weather however probably minimises these problems.

Happy motoring

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 16:52:24 »
1.  Because it's been on my dining room table for 2 years and I don't have a good place to store it
2.  Because it represents completion of a project that I started 3 or 4 years ago UG probably much longer, I joined the forum in 2008 and it was because I bought the car that we started fixing up at that time !!!!   Could it be that the hardtop has been in my house for 5 years????
3.  Because the soft top isn't nice and the rest of the car will look great without the soft top
4.  It gets pretty hot in the Pasadena area and most destinations are freeway destinations - I really don't care for convertibles on the freeway (odd, I know)

1. How about getting a table cloth to go over it? But be sure to prop up the front so the plates don't slide off?...
2. Put the groovy thing on, take a few pics -- and then put on the table cloth?...
3. Time to get that soft-top project going?...
4. Sunscreen and Take the back roads?...

OK I give up! Put 'er on! I actually enjoy having mine on once in a while. Brings out the true Pagoda essence.

BTW, mine has a little gap too. Enjoy your ride to work...
James
63 230SL

PIP1947

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Australia, New South Wales, Darling Point
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 02:52:32 »
The hardtop should sit well proud of the bodywork as only the rubber seal makes direct contact. I have the opposite problem, in that the hardtop on my January '68 280SL rattles around because the handles don't lock on properly - they are quite loose and I don't know how to fix the problem. A previous owner has inserted large washers on the RHS, but all this has succeeded in doing is causing the extra pressure to crack the once lovely chrome attachment plates. Any suggestions on how to achieve a snug fitting hardtop would be appreciated.

PIP 1947
Sydney
Australia

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 04:01:16 »
 Scoot,
I am also glad that you recovered the use of you dining table. Hope you will enjoy the use of it by organising a lavish dinner for a few Pagoda friends ;)
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 13:59:14 »
Scoot,
I am also glad that you recovered the use of you dining table. Hope you will enjoy the use of it by organising a lavish dinner for a few Pagoda friends ;)
I'm embarrassed to say that the dining room table is now covered with clean laundry waiting to be folded.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 14:36:42 »
Hello PIP1947,

Why not start a new thread and describe your problem supported with a few pictures. I'm sure some one here had a similar problem and found a solution. Give it a try.

I'm thinking you may need new inserts/fittings perhaps an adjustment as well on your left and right hardtop and rear center lock.

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 16:36:42 »
scoot
Please make a public commitment on this very forum that the laundry would not stay there for two years as did the HT ;D
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 02:51:34 »
scoot
Please make a public commitment on this very forum that the laundry would not stay there for two years as did the HT ;D
I promise to fold the laundry and put it away by the end of the weekend.  I will not turn my dining room table into the laundry pile.  At least it's clean clothes...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 20:12:02 »
Thank you :)
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA