Author Topic: Technical Manual  (Read 11087 times)

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
Technical Manual
« on: April 06, 2014, 12:44:23 »
I can't seem to enter  the Tech pages anymore. Something here or has somebody the same problem?  ???
Regards all
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:14:49 by 280SL71 »

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Re: Technical Manuel
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 17:27:53 »
Now that you mention it, for several weeks, after signing in, when I click on the Technical Manual, it takes at least 30 seconds to come up.  It seems like an eternity - I just timed it.  Each step in the process takes at least 30 seconds to complete, meaning it can take me three or four minutes to find the page I am looking for, even if I know where it is.  Cookies are enabled and as far as I know, there is nothing wrong with my computer.  A year ago, the pages came up almost instantly.  And the forum pages behave as normal, instantly changing when I click on them.

Can anyone advise?

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 17:38:31 »
I take back what I posted.  It's not at least 30 seconds.  It is EXACTLY 30 seconds for each page of the Technical Manual to download.  Have you administrators put a page download timer on the Technical Manual?  If so, why?

The delay is so precisely 30 seconds for each page download that it must be an on-purpose delay timer.  I cannot believe that the delay is random.  I even turned off my firewall and antivirus software - no change.

What is the problem?

Tom Kizer

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 17:57:06 »
I just checked on my end, and for me at least the pages come up instantly, no delay. I didn't check a lot of pages, just randomly went somewhere (ateering box rebuild) and 'bam bam bam'.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 18:05:38 »
Same here, pages open almost instantly ... Say 3 seconds or so once selected.

DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Re: Technical Manual
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 18:23:47 »
OK !  Since my last post a few minutes ago, I did a lot of the things described in Peter's thread, the one just below this one.

Nothing improved, so I went on the web and downloaded Safari to use for sl113.org .  The Technical Manual and all of its links now download in about 1 or 2 seconds like they used to with Internet Explorer.  I'm now a believer in Apple, who wrote Safari.  The only thing now is that my wheel on my mouse doesn't work.  I'll have to find out why.

I'm now a happy camper.  (That's an American idiom for those of you who are not Americans.)  It means the same thing as "I'm as happy as a pig in mud".

Tom Kizer
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 19:00:09 by Tomnistuff »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 20:37:55 »
Hello Tom,

For the last 15 years I've been using Apple products and Safari never let me down so far ... Touch wood :)
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 21:09:41 »
I'm back to using Internet Explorer.  I suspect that my computer updated windows when I restarted after installing Safari and suddenly my computer crashed when I went back to IE to try to move some favorites to an easier-to-find place in Safari than where Safari stuck them.  I finally, after rebooting three times, restored my computer to before the windows update.  I'm beginning to hate Microsoft.  The MS and Ford comparison is absolutely correct.

I'm back to waiting 30 seconds for the TM to load, so I'm going to try downloading Safari again without the Windows updates (now that they're gone following the restore).  I'll provide an update in a few minutes.

By the way, there are things I don't understand or like about Safari already.  Maybe we can discuss my problems with it later.  Maybe I'll send you a PM, Rolf-Dieter, since you are a Big-Game Hunter (Safari Expert).

Tom Kizer

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 21:49:37 »
Bon!  Toute est bien!

I'm using Safari and I'm even learning not to get frustrated with bookmarking.  The Technical Manual now pops up in about a second.  Apple appears to be a little idiosyncratic for a long term PC user.  I'm now beginning to think about all those wasted years and dollars.

Pablo_o2, do you still have problems?  We seem to have hi-jacked your thread.  My problems were solved by changing from Internet Explorer to Safari.  I expect Safari to be better for all the other sites I visit as well.

Can you explain your Technical Manual problems a little bit more?  I'm sure there are people here than can help you, although probably not me.

Tom Kizer
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 15:30:00 by Tomnistuff »

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 08:17:48 »
Using Google Chrome with a cable modem....Tech Manual pages come up instantly...

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 16:27:57 »
Tom I have the same issue as you had: it takes about 30 sec to open any page of the TM. I also use I.E. so maybe there are other users of Internet Explorer with the same problem?
Yours were solved the moment you downloaded  and used Safari you said? Maybe one of the latest updates causes a conflict...

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 16:33:30 »
Hi Paul,

I suspect that you are correct.  Since I do not know why there is a 30 second delay, I could not find anything in the IE or Windows parameters that would correct it.  I'm getting used to Safari and like it better than IE.
It only took a few minutes to download it free.  If you like IE, you can download Safari for sl113.org and keep IE for everything else until you decide you want to make the permanent switch.  There may be a few "collisions".   A little like switching which side of the road you drive on by doing it "trucks and busses first".

Tom Kizer

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 20:01:40 »
Gentlemen,

I use Safari on my Apples. I use Chrome on my PC's. No problems with the Tech Manual whatsoever, and trust me, I did not build in a 30 sec timer at all.

Disclaimer: I have not used Internet Explorer on a PC in years on our site. I'll check it tomorrow at my place of work, since we still have machines like that there.

If you are using I.E. on Windows XP: I cannot really help you. As Microsoft stopped support for Windows XP on the 8th of April, I'll have to side with them. If you use Windows XP, delete Internet Explorer and use Chrome (it's slightly better than even Safari on XP in my humble opinion).

Please provide as much info about your configuration as possible... so I can try and fix things.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!