Author Topic: 280SL Solving the Fuel Starvation Problem – I Hope  (Read 10352 times)

Lou F

• Regular
  • USA, PA, Langhorne
280SL Solving the Fuel Starvation Problem – I Hope
« on: March 11, 2014, 23:12:28 »
I took my ’69 280Sl to a mechanic that specializes in German cars.  These guys there were thrilled to see my car and all reminisced on the 280’s that they owned.  The first thing each one did was walked up to the headlights and checked for the little notch by the bezel.
I had a long list of work for the car but the big issue is to solve the fuel starvation problem.  I asked them to drain and inspect the tank.  Remove the tank and clean it, especially the flower pot.  Replace the fuel filter and blow out the supply and return lines.  Plus check the tank mounted fuel pump.
I also have a stuck fuel gauge that may be due to a stuck level sender unit.
I will provide updates when I get them.  I hope it will be ready in 2 to 3 weeks.
Wish me luck.
LouF
Lou The Engineer's Rule - "Never Compromise.  Improvise"
1969 280SL Automatic - White with blue interior.

230slhouston

Re: 280SL Solving the Fuel Starvation Problem – I Hope
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 01:56:58 »
I had a half a tank of gas in my car that was 20 years old, you can imagine the gunk. My sender unit was also stuck, soaked it in marine clean for a few hours. Works fine now.

Lou F

• Regular
  • USA, PA, Langhorne
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 01:10:57 »
Day 1 Status Report
The fuel tank was drained and was full of rust.  The tank was removed and cleaned by the mechanic but there was too much rust.  The tank will be sent out to be cleaned and lined.  It should be back in 5 days.
Fuel level sender’s lower half was rusted off.  It will be replaced.  Fortunately the shop had a new one in inventory. 
Fuel lines had rust and were replaced.
The Fuel Pump Screen was covered with rust.  The mechanic is cleaning it in solution overnight  and put it back in the pump.
The mechanic was surprised the car could start, let alone dive the 20 miles to his shop.
Spark plugs were getting bad so they were replaced.
I had a leaking rear brake caliber that had to be replaced with a rebuilt one.  (This was not a surprise, I knew it was leaking bad over the winter)
My differential has lose bolts was leaked out most of the fluid.  Differential was refilled and tightened back up.  (I did see some drips of fluid from the differential but I did not know it almost went empty.)
My left rear shock absorber had a leak.  (This was a big surprise).  I got brand new Bilstein shocks in August from FCP Euro.  I had less than 100 miles on them!  FPC is sending me a new one should come arrive in 5 days.  And I will ship back the bad one.
The ignition points from the condenser were closed, so the mechanic readjusted it.  (To be honest I heard of points and condensers but I am not sure of the significance.  But I am learning.)
My tires are from 1986 and one has a plug in the sidewall and is leaking again.  So I was strongly encouraged to get them replaced.  He can get me Uniroyal Tiger Paw (I think AMP II) White Walls for $95 each.  He is about $20 higher than on the internet, but I think I will still go with them.  I cannot afford the Coker Phoenix at this time.
Well that’s all for Day 1.

Lou F

• Regular
  • USA, PA, Langhorne
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 00:47:34 »
Day 2 Status Report
I decided to buy a set of 21th century tires for the 280SL.  So I gave the OK for 4 Uniroyal Tiger Paw AMP II White Walls.  When I am ready for the full restoration (after I hit the lottery) I want the Coker Phoenix 185R17’s.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 04:07:10 »
Hello Lou,

These fuel tanks are complicated.  Supply the shop doing the work with information on the fuel tank "fuel tank tour" otherwise some critical passage ways may get plugged with the sealer.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Lou F

• Regular
  • USA, PA, Langhorne
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 11:26:55 »
Thanks for the advice.  I gave the garage a "To Do List" that included the a picture of the fuel tank "flower pot" form the Sl113.org technical manual.  In that list, I pointed out that the square port near the return line must be cleared.  Now my only worry is the garage had to send the tank to another shop to perform the chemical cleaning and sealing.  I hope they past along the information about the "flower pot".  We will have to check it out when the tank returns.  We have a chance to clear the port before the new level sender is installed.

ctaylor738

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 13:02:33 »
I would suggest that you find a Renu-licensed shop to work on your tank.  They will cut the tank open and blast it with abrasives rather than trying to boil it out.  They also use a coating not affected by ethanol.
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA

Lou F

• Regular
  • USA, PA, Langhorne
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 16:51:51 »
I visited the garage to see how the progress was going.  The fuel tank is still at a shop to be cleaned and sealed.  From what I was told the tank will be cut open and sandblasted.  Followed by a cleaning and sealing, and then welded back together.  It should be good as new when it gets installed. 
The brake caliber was replaced with a new one (not rebuilt as I previously thought). 
The tires should arrive on Monday and can be mounted.  The garage is closed on Saturday and Sundays so nothing new to report.  I am still waiting for the new Bilstein shock absorber.  Package tracking shows an arrival on Wednesday.
I took a look under the car and took some photos to share with everyone.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 17:26:02 »
I have to say you're getting to some critical issues not a day too soon: leaking brake calipers and 18-year old tires are a major safety hazard! And the 'running on empty' differential could have cost you a replacement. Anyways, once these cars are sorted out they stay good for long periods of time so you're investing in years of fun... Keep us posted, your shop sounds like it knows what it's doing.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Lou F

• Regular
  • USA, PA, Langhorne
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 17:53:19 »
Day 7
The fuel tank is still at the repair shop to complete the curing process to seal the tank. 
I received the replacement shock and deliverer it to the garage to replace the leaking one on the left rear corner.  This will get installed along with the new tires.
Nothing more has been since the end of Day 1.
Well I will just sit tight until I get a phone call.

Lou F.

Lou F

• Regular
  • USA, PA, Langhorne
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 00:56:23 »
Day 15 (on March 27) I got the phone call from the garage that the fuel tank has been installed and it is ready to go home. :D  The tank looks like the same on the outside but the inside is now coated with a smooth red plastic like substance.  I will include a photo of the fuel neck so you can see what it looks like.  The car is dressed with a set of new Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II white wall tires in 195R75 14.  Well the tires walls are blue at this time because I have to clean them with Bleche-White.  I have a new fuel level sender so my fuel gauge is working again.  But a full tank only goes up to 7/8 Full on the gauge.  I feel it is better that it is reading lower that actual that higher ;).  Car starts right-up and idles nicer than it did before.  I like to give the big thumbs up to DiNardo Foreign Motors in Horsham, PA for doing a great job.  The labor was just over 9 hours and the parts were $1159 US.
Plus I saw another 280SL in the shop.  This one was white with Brown interior, wheel covers, and convertible top.  I hope he is a member and we can share some stories.

Lou F

• Regular
  • USA, PA, Langhorne
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 01:05:13 »
Below are photos of the fuel neck showing the new tank lining material.  And the Blue Wall (soon to be white wall) tires.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 15:07:16 »
Don't use Bleaches White on your tires. It will destroy the rubber and cause cracking.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC