Author Topic: Old type ATE brake booster no longer available  (Read 6651 times)

Bob G

Old type ATE brake booster no longer available
« on: June 24, 2013, 22:35:26 »
I was on Linken  on discussions with old SLs. Mr. Vaqn Dijk who I purchased many part from way in the past informed us of this update. I called
the Classic  center and talked to Woody he  say there is much discussion to bring back this early type  brake booster. Woody said hold off He believes their is much need for the correct ATE for early 230SLs, 250SL, and 280SL,. Mine  still works but I like a new one for  engine bay.
I am hoping the classic center and word for our  members will help convince Mercedes to reproduce this  item. The newer one will fit with some medication to the bracket, but why have it if you going stock. Watch out for the Concours judges

I could've purchased one last year , but  put it off not  thinking they would be gone. So stock up on parts while they are available.

Bob Geco
1968 280SL

George Des

Re: Old type ATE brake booster no longer available
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:48:37 »
Anyone know if ATE or the Classic Center ever followed through on starting up production of these old brake boosters again. I had mine rebuilt but would really like to replace with a new unit should they become available again.

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:44:23 »
Presently being advertised by the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center USA:

"The ATE T50 and T50/12 brake booster.  Now for just $1,850.

Good news for all owners of Mercedes-Benz classics from the 1950s and early 1960s.  The Mercedes-Benz Classic Center now
offers the type ATE T50 and T50/12 brake boosters - for historical Mercedes-Benz cars such as the 190 SL (W121), the 300 SL
(W198), the 300 Sc (W188) and the Pontoon models - at a significantly reduced price!

Don't hesitate and take a chance on the functionality of your brakes when you need them the most.  You can order your new
brake booster today for just $1,850.00 (was $2,200.00)!  Genuine quality from Mercedes Benz."

George Des

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 11:48:13 »
Yeah but these are not for the W113s.

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 16:30:25 »
Yeah but these are not for the W113s.
I well realize that fact, but as many of us own M-B products of different vintages, I thought it might be useful information for someone who had not seen the latest advertisements.

George Des

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 16:47:01 »
Just exchanged emails with Tom Hanson. The right hand drive version of the booster is still available new and could be used on LHD cars with a mod to the vacuum line. The attachment is apparently on the left side of the booster case and requires a longer line run under the master cylinder to the attachment. Sounds pretty simple.

George Des

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 15:41:37 »
Just received a new ATE brake booster from the classic center. Orderd 0004305630 based on EPC. This is for right hand drive W113 and it would be no issue to route the vacuum hose to the opposite side of the booster to use on a LHD 230sl. However the rear linkage connection is a ball connection on the plunger. Begiing to think I should have orders 0044305530. Anyone else encounter this? I have a call into Tom Hanson to try to figure this out.

George Des

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 18:08:16 »
Well it turns out that the 0004305530 is NLA and the 0004305630 has the wrong linkage connector even though it looks like it would have been a great fitup otherwise. So, the 5630 will go back to Tom. He said there is another one available that may work and I will give that a try. In the meantime the original is going back to Power Brake Exchange to see what went wrong with the rebuild they did on it less than a year ago.