W113 Pagoda SL Group > General Discussion

Restoration Difficulty Level

<< < (33/370) > >>

andyburns:
Look what turned up in the post today.  Put a smile on my dial.  Quite an amazing little model 1:72 scale about 2/3 the size of a matchbox but much more detail.

andyburns:
Have been working on other things this week so the pagoda has taken a back seat.  But back onto it today.  Made good traction on the sub frame.  Got the worst of it done.  Compressing the springs is always a time consuming job if your being safe.  I use two high tensile 12mm threaded rods to pull the lower arm back into place.  Each side takes about 30 minutes of winding.  I think doing this job with the sub frame in the car would be much easier.  I am interested to see how other member here tackle this job.  Probably a much easier way to do it.

andyburns:
Also picked up some of my chrome plating as well.  Second time around they have got it right.  Also got them to do several other trim items including my rear vision mirror which would have looked quite manky had I put it back in with all the pitted chrome.  They are still working on the grill, its now been about a month they have had it.  They are paying much better attention to it this time around.  It still in the copper stage and will be another week.   Will post some pics when it comes back.  Also got back another load of stuff from the electroplaters.  They made a few mistakes as well and tried to gold pacifate my zinc fuel lines that run under the car.  Zinc and gold pacifate don't mix.  Got a terrible reaction so the lot will have to be stripped and done again. 

Garry:
The gold pacifate on the engine bay gear looks pretty good.  The grills cost about as much as a non OEM replacement to get done here if they need any work at all.

andyburns:
Spent this afternoon finishing off the sub frame.  Took quite a while to get all the torque settings right and grease everything.  Pretty happy with the result.  Still need to concentrate on the sub fame mountings and engine mounts.  Dont quite know how to determine if the sub frame mounts should be replaced.  Any one got some advice on this.  The ones that came out of the car look a bit hard and brittle but dont appear to be collapsed.  The engine mounts are easy to pick when they start to perish.  The centers collapse in quite an obvious manner.  I dont want to blow money unnecessarily but on the other hand know how hard the sub frame mounts will be to change if I make the wrong call.  Any advice appreciated.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version