Author Topic: Option Codes Missing  (Read 7152 times)

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Option Codes Missing
« on: March 03, 2013, 11:50:49 »
The  280SL of a new member was recently added to our Registry.

The Data Card shows Option Codes 740 and 233. These codes are not in our list of options.

A book of Option Codes published by MB in 1993 shows 740 is Black Soft Top and
233 is Fog Lamp Wiring for France. The car was sold in France but the owner does not believe the car has ever had Fog Lights on it.
I'm not sure all the codes in a 1993 book are accurate for 1960's models. Can you tell us what these two codes are for?

As Registrar of the Registry, I've seen other Option Codes on Pagoda Data cards that are not on our list.

If anyone has a list of codes or a reliable source of codes for these cars that goes beyond our list, please let me know by email,
PM,  or whatever so we can expand (and correct) our Options List.

I am aware of, and have consulted, Engelen's book, and Meredith's Original Merecedes SL book.

The publication I mentioned above is a white cover pocket size guide
"Code-Űbersicht fűr Sonderausfűhrungen (SA)" List of Codes for Special Versions (SA) Edition B3/93

Here's a link to our Options Code List
http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/OptionCodes

Thanks,

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Option Codes Missing
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 17:27:15 »
Richard,

I have several list of codes, Pete Lesler and Dave Gallon (published in Frank Mallory's Mercedes Collector) and they both show the 740 as the black soft top, and I also found one reference to the 233 as the fog lamp wiring.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 17:49:55 »
Richard, I have the following for code 233:

'64 to 30-11-66  rear axle ratio 1:4.08
1-12-66 to 30-11-69  foglight wiring France/USA
1-12-69 to '92  foglight wiring France, Switzerland, Australia, Sweden, Norway

So it depends on the year.  Code 740 shows black soft top but only from 01-08-72.  Prior to that it just says "Fabric, ABC"
Hope that helps.
Marcus
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Mercedes Option Codes
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 07:26:54 »
Hello,
here you can find a complete list of Mercedes option codes.
http://mercedesclubs.de/wiki/index.php?title=SONDERAUSSTATTUNGSCODES
...WRe

simonarn

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:01:57 »
Thanks all, in fact the car was delivered in Switzerland on 12 march 1968 and includes the mention 233 in the options, which kind of contradicts the info given because it seems it was a French code prior to 1969. I suspect ,given the proximity to the Geneva Motor show that year, and the fact that the car was delivered in Geneva, they used the 69 codes, as they do often in Switzerland, by selling the car with the options for the next year.

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 13:28:59 »
Here is another site that lists the option codes, in english.  I'm pretty sure I got this link from this site a few years ago so it should be listed in another thread somewhere.
http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~mtor/mbcodedsc.html
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Option Codes Missing on data cards?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 18:59:15 »
Marcus,
I suspect you retrieved it from our Tech Manual.  ;)
http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/OptionCodes

But I do have a related question.  In our manual it shows the following info:
"Not all option codes show up on the data cards."
Is there any documentation for this statement?
Why should this be the case?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 19:03:24 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 10:34:21 »
Some years ago, I added the comment to the Tech Manual that some Options on the car were not on the Card Card.

In my role as Registrar of the Registry, I have examined the Data Cards and codes for many of the cars in the Registry.

There were some cars with option items that did not appear on the Data Cards for those cars. Some of these options, I was told, were on the car when the first owner originally picked up the car from the Dealer.

My conclusion was that when a car arrived at the final destination, either the new owner or perhaps the dealer on his own initiative, added some optional items to some cars. These could have included a specific model of radio, tinted windows, Air Conditioning, fog lights, or others that could be installed by a dealer or by a nearby Mercedes Service Center.

This was confirmed to my satisfaction when I spoke to the original owner of my first 280SL. He told me that it was the dealer who installed the radio for him after the car came arrived and before the owner pickled up the car. The codes for the radio and antenna did not appear on the Data Card.

Now I did make a possibly controversial leap here. I included in the Registry as as original options, those that were installed on the car before the owner picked up the car even if they were not "factory installed options". I did this because it was well known that some "local" options noted on the Data Card were always (?) installed by the dealer not the factory. This was typically the Air Conditioner.

Even when an AC was noted on the Data Card, apparently Stuttgart did not stock or install AC's for cars destined for market areas outside Germany including the USA. Since Mercedes wanted the cars to have locally serviceable AC's, they had the local dealer install a local style and brand AC. So my thinking went, if a dealer installed the Air Conditioner, a dealer could have installed other "factory" options.  These dealer add-ons would not appear on the Data Card which was created and printed at the factory.

So since the car I owned at that time had a dealer installed option that was not on the Date Card, I added the note to the Tech Manual.

This message thread (started by me) is not about options on the car that are not on the Data Card but about an option that was on the Data Card but not on the car. In this case Fog Lights and Fog Light Wiring. I guess someone could have changed the front bumpers to remove the lights and the mounting holes but what about the wiring? I do not believe that the current owner has found any evidence that the car had fogs or fog wires at any time.

I was asking about the accuracy of our Option Codes in the Tech Manual trying to find out if the Fog Light option codes could have had a different meaning on another reliable options list.

I have not looked at the other option code sources noted above but I hope to do so to help confirm that our Option Code list is as accurate as possible.

Sorry to go on about this.

Richard M, NYC

1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).