Author Topic: Just painted 1968 280SL Pin Stripe ??  (Read 21893 times)

FRITZ68

Just painted 1968 280SL Pin Stripe ??
« on: January 17, 2013, 02:12:01 »
In our shop today, we painted my wife's 1968 convertible.  Prior to painting, the car had a very thin black stripe.  Is this original to the car?  Just wondering if Mercedes added a stripe?  Car is silver and the stripe was very thin - maybe 3/32".  Car was painted in base coat clear coat (Matrix) and is now drying over night.  Our plan was to apply the stripe (by brush) Saturday and then 3 or 4 more coats of clear coat over the entire car and the stripe.

Was tsuch a stripe available in 1968?  The stripe looked great, but want to keep the car original.

Thanks,  Fritz

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
Re: Just painted 1968 280SL Pin Stripe ??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 02:38:25 »
I have never seen a claimed original car with a stripe. Most likely dealer or owner added. Stripe does not appear on the list of options that I have.

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 02:38:48 »
Fritz,
if you mean pinstripes like the one on the car below then the answer is "not original". But they could have been added by the dealer at the request of the buyer when the car was sold .
BTW, how did your re-chroming of the trim under the quarter window turn out?
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 02:46:10 »
The pin stripes also show up quite a lot on the 107 cars (and it is not original for them either).
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

FRITZ68

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 05:02:56 »
Thanks for all of the help - still undecided.   I will post some pictures of the car in about a week or so.  It was painted today and looks great, but we have some sanding and buffing to do yet  I may have posted this picture previously, but here is the car "before".  Car looked real good, but had rust on rear fenders and the section across the back below the deck lid.  All of this was properly repaired using real lead and it should last many years.

Fritz
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 14:02:53 by FRITZ68 »

KevinC

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 20:52:38 »
Fritz,

Aftermarket pinstriping was EVERYWHERE in the 60's - 70's...probably subdued some from the late 50's when cars were so bulky-looking they needed something to "break-up" the appearence from the side. I had a green 1973 MB 280 C (Coupe) and someone had added a tan stripe to "compliment" the interior color. Admitedly, when I had the car painted, I left the striping off as I felt the lines of the car spoke for themselves.

You have a conundrum here I from what I can see...pinstriping was not done at the factory so if you are looking for "original" I would leave them off. Still, striping would be "of the era" and probably not look out of place. Its all about what makes you happy. In a judged event, the striping might actually take points away. If it were me, I would sit tight and add stripes later but I see there is a timeline involved. If you put it to a vote, I would suggest leave them off. The lines of the car are just great without the additional accentuation... But kind of like adding wire rims or a Nardi wheel...what ever floats your boat! 

Kevin

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 22:49:01 »
At one time I put pinstriping on everything I had.  Then as time went on I stopped and started to appreciate the lines the car came with instead.  I have a white car so the fender ridge doesn't show up as much as say on a silver car but not having a pinstripe seems to add to the sophistication of the car. 

My MGB has a fixed metal "stripe" which seems to be suggest that my doors are slightly out of alignment due to a slight differece in the curve in the metal which creates an illusion which brings the eye to the edge between the door and the body.  This is a location that I feel appears to sometimes look odd on the 113s as the gap goes up to the windshield trim.    So why bring attention to something that could detract from the pure beauty of our cars.

My vote is for no pinstripe.
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

FRITZ68

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 02:49:48 »
What a simple solution.... On the way to work today, I menitioned to my wife that I was having a hard time deciding whether or not to put the stripe on the car.  She said, "what stripe - I don't like stripes".  I mentioned the nice narrow black stripe on the car from the previous owner.  Her next question was, "What was orginal from Mercedes?"  I answered, "No stripe".  Her answer "That's what I want"  Since this is her car, I guess I was outvoted.

So instead of waiting for our artist to add the stripe on Saturday, the car will now be sanded tomorrow and 4 more coats of clear coat will be applied.  By Monday it will be ready for final sanding and buffing.  So far the car looks better than new, so I am thinking that with some more sanding and more clear coat it will be even nicer.  Here are some pictures taken today to show the progress to date.  We used Transtar Base Coat and clear coat.  Once completed and assembled, I will post some more pictures, but the finish is almost perfect already.  Transtar mixed up a gallon of the original silver color used in 1968 (same as was on the car from the previous owner).  A couple of closeups show the depth of the paint and the gloss, so after sanding and buffing, expect it to be even better than when new.  This car will be featured in the 2013 TP Tools fall catalog, so Transtar furnished the paint and clear coat free of charge!  (Can't beat that price).  We have used various paints and clear coats, but when it comes to a true show car finish, we keep going back to Transtar.  Their clear coat is the best we have ever found and sands and buffs easily.

Fritz
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:37:50 by FRITZ68 »

FRITZ68

More Pictures
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 03:04:10 »
Here are some more pictures from today.  Car was painted in one of our paint booths at work, using our HVLP-90 Turbine paint spray system, which keeps the overspray way down and saves on paint.  We also painted the centers of the stainless wheel covers, but I forgot those pictures.  We have a full-time restoration shop at work for our car collection, and are really enjoying this restoration.  We have over 35 cars in our two car collection buildings at work in Canfield, Ohio. See www.tipcars.us for some pictures.  We are getting this car ready for my wife to drive this spring and summer.  The previous owner drove the car about 35 years in Cleveland and finally parted with the car last spring, so it will again have another "lady owner". i guess we need to give it a name - any ideas?

Fritz

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 14:33:24 »

Ah,
the plain beauty of an Euro looking model. :D

Well, did you just not take off the headlights, aerial and windscreen for the respray?? :o ??? Wow!

A few more remarks from my side:

Besides the useless stripes, please leave also off the (ugly) aftermarket wheel arch chrome that was not available for our cars from the factory.

Furthermore:

Please do not forget to add the rear chrome (brass strip with rubber inlet) on the rear fender between wheel arch and rear bumper on each side. These are missing on your "before" picture and are only a sign of poor repair in the past.

Other than that: very well done. :D
Congrats !!

Achim
(ex silver - now original paint code again)
Achim
(Germany)

FRITZ68

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 16:22:12 »
 ???  You lost me on this:

Your quote
 "Please do not forget to add the rear chrome (brass strip with rubber inlet) on the rear fender between wheel arch and rear bumper on each side. These are missing on your "before" picture and are only a sign of poor repair in the past."

Can you post pictures or something so that I can try to locate?  I was not aware of such parts.  Are these still available in new old stock?  If so, where can these be located?

We previously had a local shop fix the exhaust system, using non-original parts, and the car was too loud.  So we recently ordered in a new muffler and resonator from Miller's (original Mercedes parts), in hopes that the sound level will be decreased.  We already ordered all new gaskets, except the door gaskets which were good, but not perfect.  After seeing how well the paint job is coming along, I today ordered a pair from Miller's ($74 each).  The good thing about Mercedes parts in the U.S. is that they are still available, but at a premium cost.

We removed the deck lid, hood and other parts for this painting.  Normally we remove the entire body when restoring our older cars (those that have a frame) and put the body on a rotisserie for cleanup and painting. We usually remove the doors too, but sometimes when painting silver metallic this is not the best plan, as the color might be off just a shade. For that reason, we left the doors on (handles off).  Grille and heasligh bezels are perfect, and we bought a set of new bumpers, even though the originals were nice (but not perfect).  We had the top all painted, but did not like the results, so it is back in our shop for some more sanding, primering and prep work before painting next week.  More pictures attached.

Fritz

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 16:58:11 »
Check out this picture from KK Mfg
http://www.kkmfg.com/catalog_loader.php?page=113/113BodyChrome.js
I did not look at Millers or Buds, but suspect they would have also.

It is the thin chrome strip behind the rear wheel in the diagram

They list the part
113-698-09-80R (113-698-10-80R - right)
Desc:
Reproduction Moulding, 1/4, Lower, Left
Price:
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

FRITZ68

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 19:22:31 »
I checked with KK Mfg in Michigan, and these rear fender chrome over brass moldings are on backorder (repros from Poland).  I then called Bud's in GA who had these repros in stock, but said that there was also an aluminum trim piece below the chrome moldings on each rear fender (in other words, two trim pieces on each rear fender, one above the other).   He also said that the rear fender trim was an option on the car, (not all cars had them) and said that if not on the car, why waste the money.   I am getting mixed signals, but am hoping that he is correct.  Bud's also stocks the small trim pieces in front of each rear wheel, and one of mine was damaged, so will need replaced, but I forgot which side, so I will find out and order on Monday. 

My 1968 280SL is a German version, as was originally puchased in Germany by the first owner, sold to the second owner around 1975, and shipped to the U.S. by the second owner.   Is it possible that the German version could be different in respect to the side rear fender moldings?   

Fritz

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 19:31:48 »
 Only one chrome plated molding with a rubber insert on each side behind the rear wheel. Not an option at least on mine. I believe all 113s were so equipped. Achim?

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 21:50:08 »
He also said that the rear fender trim was an option on the car, (not all cars had them) and said that if not on the car, why waste the money.   I am getting mixed signals, but am hoping that he is correct. 

The guy at Bud's is just wrong on this one. At least if you specified that it was the section behind the wheel arch you where referring to.
 The rear fenders behind the wheel arch had the brass chrome strip with the rubber insert as Achim said, no aluminum trim, not even optional.
There is also of course the short chrome and aluminium trim pieces on the rear fender between the front part of the wheel arch and the door opening.
In short, you should have four chromed brass pieces with the rubber inserts and three anodized aluminum pieces on each side of the car.

Hans
Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather

KevinC

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 21:55:31 »
Fritz,

Not at all an option that I am aware of. Some just dont get re-applied after paint work is done. With that much effort going into the paint, you should make sure these pieces are added.

Kevin

FRITZ68

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 22:22:31 »
I agree with Hans and John and Kevin - THANK YOU.   I think that the guy at Bud's got confused (or maybe I did) as we were also talking about the two shorter pieces just in front of the wheel.  I later did a Google Search for 1968 280SL and clicked on "Images" and found that almost all had the single strip on the rear fender behind the wheel openings.  I did see one or two without, so maybe the same body man worked on their car some years ago!   I just called work and the small strip that I need on the passenger side (just in front of the rear wheel opening) is the aluminum trim piece ($170 - ouch!), and the other pieces (repro chrome with rubber) are $175 each.  I have a call in to Bud's for these parts and will be ordering shortly, as am trying to keep the car original. 

So it is no stripe, with new chrome piece on each side behind the rear wheels, and replacing the one lower aluminum trim piece in front of the passenger wheel wells. Thanks for all of the quick and accurate advice. I have many different collector cars and participate on many forums, but this one is the best (and fastest) of all!

I don't think I am going to win with my wife on the chrome pieces (arches) over the wheels, as she insists that they be installed after painting. I think they are held in place with screws from the underside of the openings, so if someone some day is worried about these, they can be removed.  I don't partifularly like these, especially on red cars or most any other color, but on silver they are not as much of a distraction.  What is the deal with these anyhow?  Were these a dealer installed option?  In searching Google ran into several that had these installed.

Here are some more pictures of the car, prior to our cosmetic restoration.  Hoping to be able to post some "after" pictures in about a week.

Fritz

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 22:46:03 »
...  So it is no stripe, with new chrome piece on each side behind the rear wheels, and replacing the one lower aluminum trim piece in front of the passenger wheel wells. ..

Perhaps your shop can search for the filled in holes on the inside of the panel? If they cannot find them then keep in mind that the lower bumper edge should be in line with the lower edge of the trim piece end.
You'll need countersunk sheet metal screws DIN7982 003216 (3.9 x 9.5 mm) to attach the pieces.
Below are two Mercedes press release photos (one showing the inventor/designer of the Pagoda roof B. Barnyi) that might guide where these trim pieces should end up.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

FRITZ68

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 23:11:37 »
Very nice pictures and thanks 66 and Blue.  I just talked to Bud's in Georgia and the two pieces that I need are no longer avaialble.  KK Mfg has them on  backorder (they are made for them in Poland). Their cost is $144 each.  I think Miller's has them in stock (or can get them fairly quickly for $315 each).  Since these can be added later, I can shop around a bit if necessary.   I was planning on looking inside the rear fenders to see if there were any mounting holes.  Your pictures clearly show the exact position, which we will keep in our notebook for reference when the time comes to install.  In the meantime, we have a lot of buffing to do next week! 

Fritz

• Platinum
Re: 1968 280SL - further construction site
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 03:20:32 »
Fritz?

What's this??
68 MB Interior1a.jpg (288.68 KB, 900x675 - viewed 6 times.)   :o

Have you got 230 seats in your 280??  :o ??? :o
The seat hinge hardware and the narrow seat back clearly indicate 230 seats (seat type 2) until VIN 012466 to me ... :-\ ???

Surely, it's not your fault but who the heck did that?

That's another mark on the to-do-list for the upcoming years ....

Sorry to say so...

Achim
(being a meanie today ... sorry)

Achim
(Germany)

• Platinum
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 03:34:20 »
Sorry, Fritz.

That's not fair from me.
You are new on the site and absolutely understandable you proudly present here the results of your fantastic paint shop results on your wife's car.

And then some "idiots" like me do not have anything better to do than finding "what's not correct etc."
I clearly apologize for this. It is not my intention to make (or look) your car bad.
These are just the little things our trained eyes immediately realize when looking at a newbie's car... :-X

Believe me, it was just horrible what I found out about my car(s) being incorrect/non-original/replaced/false/missing/inacceptable/etc. within the first 15 years of ownership ...  :'( :-\

As such, you may just take our little advices or tips/leads of what you _can_ (if you like) improve in the further future. ;)
But clearly that is no must.

Only the fewest among us can "create" a would-like-to-be perfect survivor like e.g. John "49er"s SL actually is ;) :D

IMHO

Achim

Achim
(Germany)

• Platinum
Re: Use instead DIN 963 screws
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 04:06:51 »
You'll need countersunk sheet metal screws DIN7982 003216 (3.9 x 9.5 mm) to attach the pieces.

I do not recommend so. >:(

Knowing very well that the countersunk sheet metal screws Alfred mentioned (Daimler part no. 007982 003216) are the factory-original configuration ... :o
... this "cheap solution" used on the assembly line in the factory is nowadays the reason for serious rust issues around the holes for just these (brass) chrome strips, and the holes of the sensitive aluminum doors and the areas behind the wheel arches (which we talked about further above) are especially affected by this.

This is also the reason why so often additional holes were drilled into the chrome strips and their body panels during the 3 - 7 previous resprays that some of our cars had in the past (or still have) due to the fact that the previous holes were already too wide or otherwise rusted out.
And that's also the reason why so often these rear chrome strips are missing >:( >:( (The rust issues were just too severe ... ask me how I know... >:( :'( )

Better use countersunk screws with a (metric) thread:

http://1aschrauben.de/Senkschrauben-mit-Schlitz-DIN-963-M-4-X-7-A2-Edelstahl-500-Stk?ref=gps&gclid=CPimkJTA87QCFUHxzAodORgAgA

DIN 963 metric M4 (4 mm) or M5 (5 mm thread) are the best choice for this task.

Using large washers and (regular) nuts from behind will gently hold the screws/chrome strip assembly to the sheet metal panels without pulling too much on the sensitive sheet metal panels (especially of the doors).

Use at least stainless steel screws or perhaps brass by no means regular steel; I personally prefer plastic screws.
And use plenty of wax in those areas. ;) ;)

Good luck

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

FRITZ68

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 05:51:01 »
Achim,

Thanks for the update regarding the screws and bolts.  Whenever we replace screws we use stainless only.  I never thought of using plastic screws.  Today I ordered the small aluminum trim section for the right side behind the passenger door, but so far, no one has the longer pieces for the rear fenders (one on each side).  I agree with your observation and will later purchase these trim pieces and install when available.

I just posted a very long reply, but the reply was "rejected"with an error message, so i lost everything.  With the post were some attachments.  I will try two of the attachments below, as they show the seats at time of purchase in April of 2012, and prior to having them recovered at a local shop, using material from Mercedes that was furnished by the lady owner of the car since 1975.  We removed the seats and took them to a local shop and I will say that the pleats are a lot deeper, but more comfortable.  Later this weekend I will provide more information about the history of this car, which is being refurbished cosmetically for a driver for my wife - not to be judged or shown.  I appreciate all of the comments and feedback however, so please take a close look at these seats and let me know what you think.  I am quite disappointed, but based on my experience with over 35 vintage cars at present, not at all surprised.

Thanks,  Fritz

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 09:27:13 »
Fritz,
Have you tried SLS they appear to have them or you could go direct to the man in poland who makes them.
Stan(Flier) has the details
Eric

FRITZ68

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 16:14:42 »
Thank you Eric.  I just spent about 30 minutes looking at the SLS catalog on line.  My wife and I are of 100% German extraction, but unfortunately we did not listen when our grandparents were speaking in German! I was unable to find the rear fender trim pieces, but even if I did so, am not sure that I would have been able to figure out how to place an order. One of the girls in our art department manages German somewhat, so I may ask for her assistance next week.  Contacting the fellow that makes the repros in Poland might be even more difficult, so I guess I will have to wait on KK-Mfg - they said the parts might be several months.  Since the car can be reassembled without them, I guess I will wait it out.  Either way, agree that these parts are required to keep the car as original as possible.  While this car will not be judged, we still always attempt to keep our cars as original as possible.   

We did body work (in our shop) on the rear fender bottoms and on the lower panel across the rear of the car below the deck lid.  Patches were welded and smoothed over with real lead, so should last many years.  We were careful to select the correct Mercedes color, which was the same color as used in 1985 when the car was repainted by R&D Auto in Cleveland, who serviced the car for the past 37 years.  I enjoy documenting the history of all of our cars and have a folder to retain this information at work. Since Matrix furnished the paint and clear coat at no charge (we buy products from them), we will be featuring this cosmetic refurbishing in our spring catalog in a few months.  I will let everyone know when this catalog is published in case any interest.  We mail our catalogs free on request via 1t class mail.  Catalogs are over 160 pages and generally have a feature article on one of our restorations, along with technical help.

Achim mentioned that I have the wrong seats in the car. How this ever happened and when is a mystery to me.  Perhaps the seat wore out years ago and someone found a replacement set in a junk yard or something?? I posted these pictures before, but want to post them side by side to show the difference.  The one with the 5 pleats was taken shortly after I purchased the car, and the picture with 4 pleats was taken after I sent the seats to a local shop to have them reupholstered. The seats in the 5-pleat picture looked good, but when the seat folded open, the stuffing was showing, as the material had rotted at that part.  The other side had some worn areas too.  While I am really unhappy that the local shop changed the pleat pattern slightly, I did use the original material that the previous owner (since 1975) provided. She had a sample cut out from the inside of the seat material and ordered a roll of the fabric material and the box was marked "Mercedes". Not only are the pleats wider from my local shop, the pleated area is thicker, but I will say it is more comfortable and the appearance is greatly improved.

History of this car to the best of my knowledge:
My wife and I bought this car at the Motorcar Portfolio auction in Akron, Ohio in the spring of 2012.  After winning the bid, an older lady came up to us and said that she was the owner of the car since around 1975. She said that her husband had an office in Frankfort and bought the car from one of his clients, who purchased the car when new.  The car is a German version of course, which in my opinion adds to the value and appearance as is fairly rare in the U.S.  After buying the car, he shipped it to the U.S. and presented it to his wife as a surprise gift.  It was sitting in the drive when she returned from shopping.  She drove the car in the summer all of those years in the Cleveland, Ohio area.  Since her husband died, she reluctantly decided to sell the car and was greatly relieved to meet my wife and I and that the car would be wall cared for and when we told her that it would be displayed in our car museum  (www.tipcars.us), she was even happier. She than gave us a very large pouch-type folder with all of the paperwork and all of the receipts for work done on the car and some photographs of the car when it was repainted in 1985.  After this painting the car was entered in the big Autorama show in Cleveland, where it won first place in its class.  This is a huge show, so such a win is quite an honor.

She said that most of the work done on the car was handled by R&D Auto in Cleveland (including the paint job in 1985 and a complete engine rebuilding around 2000).  She mentioned that R&D auto was still in business and gave me the owner's name.  We later contacted R&D and took the car to his shop to have a leaky (worn shaft) steering box replaced.  He was able to locate a rebuilt box and there are no more leaks. He also told me that he had maintained the car for many years and that it was always a good runner.  The oil pan gasket leaked somwhat, which we replaced in our shop before taking it to R&D for the steering box replacement. In reviewing the folder of receipts and information later, I added the total costs (over $27,000), which was more than the $23,500 we paid for the car at the auction!  Most of the work over the years was done by R&D, alghough there was some exhaust work, some oil changes and batteries handled by others.  Later she sent us the roll of seat material.  At the time of purchase, one of the tail light lenses was broken (her neighbor backed into the car).  She promised to bring a pair of lenses when received, as they were ordered from Germany at $710 each! About a month later, she and a lady friend drove from Cleveland to our shop in Canfield, Ohio and brought the lenses.  We then showed her our car collection and her 280SL on display, which made her very happy.

So far, in addition to the above, we did the following:  Changed all hoses under the hood and detailed the engine. Installed all new rubber grommets, etc on the engine compartment.  In addiiton to having the seats reuphlolstered, I cleaned and tightened up the carpet, which had been replaced at one time and was like new, but needed some attention.  We installed all new rubber gaskets on the doors, hard top and trunk.  Tires had little wear, but for safety reasons were replaced with a set of Phoenix whiltwalls in the correct size from Coker tires. I researched the size and type of tires on this forum, so feel it is right.  We pulled the brakes for inspection - no wear so we reassembled.  The wheel covers were new, but the centers were not painted, which has now been done.  We disassmbled the grille for cleanup and polishing and painted the black screen.  The original German radio worked well, but antenna motor did not work, so we replaced it with a repro electric motor which worked perfectly (we wrapped up the original antenna motor and have it on shelf in our vintage parts department). The speedomter (Kilometers) quit working about a year ago, which we did not replace, as did not want to get into uncharted wates as yet.  Same on the dash lights, which do not work, but will need to be fixed. Other gauges all work, as do the lights, turn signals, flashers, etc.  I don't think the clock is working.

The rubber ribbed pads at the door entrance were worn and replaced. I did some minor repair of the black under the dash cover panels and both kick panels in front of each door.  Door panels are excelent. The safety switch for the transmission did not work, so was replaced.  We have been buying whatever we need from Millers in most cases.  For painting we removed the hood, deck lid and hard top and trim, but did not remove the doors  We cleaned the underside of the hood and deck lid to bare metal and repainted it in a satin black.   We usually remove the entire body on cars with a frame, but of course did not do so on this car. We replaced the brake and gas pedal rubber pads.  Steering is perfect and there are no rattles.  We ordered in a new muffler and resonator which just came in and will be installed later.  Inside the trunk and floorboards are good (no holes - some surface rust which we cleaned up and painted.  The bumpers were good, but not perfect, so we ordered a new set of 4 from Miller's which are ready to install. No other chrome issues other than 2 strips on side of hard top which we did not yet remove.  Underside of car is good - no holes or damage.  When we do the exhaust we will clean it up, as I like cars to look good from below. Wheels were sandblasted and painted inside and out.  Car still had the orginal correct jack and small Mercedes tool pouch and tools.

While it might not be perfect, it will be a beautiful car when finished and I will post plenty of pictures after we get it all back together.  We are the 3rd owner of this car. 

In addition to this Mercedes I have a 1962 220 SEb (hard top) with about 23K original miles in mint condition that I drive on occasion.  At the present time it is in the brake shop for all new front disk brakes and new master cylinder. Other than that and some new (4 speed) transmission shift bushings which are being installed, the car is perfedt mechanically and appears to be like new, although the upholstery was replaced in original style and color.  A picture of this car is attached. This car was purchased at the same Motorcar Portfolio auction at the end of the sale when almost all buyers either went home or ran ouf of money or storage space.  We always stay to the very end and often come up with some unbelievable bargains.  I call it "golden oppourtunity time".  It had been for sale for $29.9 for 2 years and they let it go at no reserve at the last-minute.  At only $10,000 feel that it was the bargain of the year for me.

Fritz