Author Topic: Difference Between Roadster and Coupe  (Read 15753 times)

jellis25

Difference Between Roadster and Coupe
« on: August 26, 2011, 16:05:01 »
I was looking at NADA and there is quite a price difference between the 65 230sl "2 door coupe convertible" and the "2 door roadster."

Can someone please explain the difference to me. I am looking at buying a 65 and want to know which one this would fall under.

Sorry if this has been posted before. I couldn't find anything with a quick search.

Thanks - John

knockmacool

Re: Difference Between Roadster and Coupe
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 16:21:18 »
John

The two door coupe convertible is a 230SL without a soft-top. Roadster refers to a convertible, and when new I believe  these cars could be supplied with a soft-top only
Look at
http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/Start

■Roadster: soft top only
■Coupe: hardtop (with either a soft top or at least a space for one)
■California coupe (from 250SL onwards): hardtop only; no provision for soft top at all (and a tiny rear bench seat)

I will let others comment on values; purchasing a soft top frame can be expensive. Good luck

Drew

jellis25

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 23:33:29 »
thanks drew.

Any idea why the price difference is so dramatic?

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 00:19:53 »
According to the Price Card for 1970 models, Mercedes did not use "Convertible" when referring to the SL.

The card shows an SL Roadster, a Coupe, and a Coupe/Roadster but no SL "Convertible".

The only Convertible on the card is a 280SE.

The price difference at that time between a Roadster and Coupe /Roadster was $422, about 6%.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 03:30:41 »
My car came as a coupe.  It has a 5 on the data paint plate near the hood catch on the drivers side.  The line to look at has various configurations.

050G 050G 5

is the line on mine.
First # body color white
second # hard top color white
5 Hard top without roadster top

050G --- -  Is car without hard top with roadster top

050G 050G 6 is both tops

050G 050G 7 I think is california coupe that has back seat no soft top compartment

This is all in the technical data section of the site
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 18:03:07 »
Brad, you are correct.  My California Coupe is 050 7.  I have never seen a reference where Mercedes ever called the cars "California" Coupes.  The factory term was just Coupe.  I believe the Roadster term refered to the car with the capability to have a soft top whether it was ordered without one or not. 
So you had:
Roadster - soft top only
Roadster/Coupe - Hard top and soft top but could be ordered without the actual folding top.
Coupe - Hard top with rear folding bench seat.

I don't know what the numbers of each are.  Obviously, the Roadster/Coupe would have to be something like a 200 to 1 preference.  I also wonder if any Coupe was ever ordered without air conditioning.  Even though the A/C units were installed by dealers in the US, the cars would have been ordered with the double groove pulley and wiring already installed. 

Has anyone ever weighed a soft top and frame? 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe