Author Topic: sandal wood colour code  (Read 6344 times)

georgefirst

sandal wood colour code
« on: July 22, 2011, 09:56:19 »

please any body know the colour code ''sandal wood'' used mb factory under the car ..

sandalwood color
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:27:20 by 280SL71 »

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: sandal wood colour code
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 12:14:07 »
Quote from: georgefirst
  please any body know the colour code ''sandal wood'' used mb factory under the car
This was the tan primer used on the car body, the raw body metal was dipped in that.
I don not have the RAL (or M-B official) code for that paint.

Myself, I went with a sample to a local parts store, they analysed the paint digitally. They could then supply a couple of spray cans with the correct mix to me.
/Hans in Sweden

PS.  I have a text from the M-B Magazine "In Aller Welt" from the sixties, Frank Mallory Sr. had it translated. Gives a guide to how the Factory paint treated the car bodies.  DS

NEW VEHICLE PAINTING PLANT IN SINDELFINGEN
(from Mercedes-Benz in aller Welt #64, 7/1963)
     As supplied by Frank Mallory
Day in, day out, thousands of cars, gleaming with new paintwork and chrome-plated trim, are released from the assembly lines of automotive engineering plants.
Quite understandable, proud owners of a new Mercedes expect the brand-new appearance of their cars to last for years. Paintwork of vehicles is constantly exposed to the risk of corrosive attack, particularly by thawing salts, soot, sulfur dioxide-bearing fumes and the like. Corrosion can also be caused by mechanical damages, e.g., by impact of stones against the underbody of cars. Already for years, automotive and chemical industries have closely co-operated with a view to combating corrosion. Improvement of protection from corrosion was one of the chief requirements, on which planning of the new vehicle painting plant in Sindelfingen was based.
Since recently, the plant operates at full capacity; design and layout include all the advances made through the years and fully satisfy all demands of increased protection against corrosion. A visit to the new plant is rewarding indeed. The vast shed, flooded with daylight, is criss-crossed by conveyors on floor level, in mid-height and overhead arrangement, running, so it seems, aimlessly in all directions, carrying car bodies in a wide variety of color tones slowly dipping down and disappearing into a long, dark duct. Under the expert guidance of Mr. Hafemann, the engineer in charge, we very soon realize that the plant operates on a carefully planned working schedule.
The metal-finished bodies are transported by overhead conveyor to the painting plant through a tunnel of 700m length. First, the steel sheet, which shows a bluish sheen, is pre-cleaned by hand. Thereafter, the bodies progress to the washing and phosphatizing station, which is about 100m long. After thorough removal of any remaining dirt and grease, the metal surfaces are provided with zincphosphate coating, which safely prevents rust formation at places, where the paintwork is damaged, and at the same time forms an adhesive base for the initial paint coat.
Next, the prime coat is applied by dipping at two stations in parallel arrangement. The body dips slowly into a bath of 3 x 7m, which contains no fewer than 52 tons of paint. At the bottom of the bath, the body is tilted; the air trapped in the hollows escapes and forms vast bubbles on the bath surface. Then the body is lifted out of the bath and the surplus paint allowed to drip off. For each body, more than 12kg of paint are used. The dip coating method ensures easy access of the paint to remote corners, hollow spaces, etc.
Following dip coating, the body is transported along the conveyor belt line to the drying oven, where it is dried by dark infra-radiation and a subsequent steam-drying section for 20 minutes at a temperature of 140 deg.C. Cooling is followed by treatment of the underbody in the PVC booth. By subsequent baking, the solvent-free agent provides a tough yet elastic coating, which protects the underbody from corrosion.
After each station, bodywork pieces are rigorously tested. No car body is released for the next phase unless its paintwork is perfectly finished and fully free from blemishes or other faults and defects. All Mercedes-Benz cars receive four paint coats. After drying of the prime coat, the finish coats are applied by spraying. Bodies receive their second coating by the electrostatic method: a rotating disk with a voltage of 100,000 V charges the finely dispersed paint particles, which are attracted by the nearest negative pole, i.e., the body, on which they settle.
After passing through the continuous baking oven and the subsequent cooling station comes a sanding step. Then the bodies progress down the return line to the pre-finishing booth where the paint is applied by hand spraying guns in the final color tone of the vehicle. Again, the body is passed through the drying oven and thence to the sanding station. By thorough cleaning, all metal surfaces are prepared for the final coat.
Next, the body is heat treated at a temperature of 130 deg. C so as to allow the synthetic resin constituents of the paint to solidify. Finally, the body is discharged from the baking oven with a gleaming, corrosion-resistant finish. Once again, all bodies are tested before they are released for final assembly. Prior to leaving the painting plant through the tunnel mentioned above, the luggage compartment and the beads are given a sprayed-on protective wax coating.
Vehicle painting requires a maze of complicated auxiliary equipment. Air consumption for suction removal of the paint mist is in the region of 1,5 million m3 per hour. Plant design ensures that clean, conditioned air is supplied to the spraying booths; after removal of the paint particles, the air is discharged to the outside. For air scrubbing, an hourly circulation rate of 176,000 cft. water (307 Imp. gals. per second) is required. Work of the washing, phosphatizing and sanding stations largely depends on the availability of water of a high degree of purity. In the ion exchanger, more than 3,000 cft. water per hour are softened and conditioned. By a centrally arranged feeding device, paint is circulated to the various points of consumption through an extensive piping system.
All operations are controlled from a central control station, which is arranged at the front wall and juts out into the shed. The large panels are a maze of mysterious, constantly changing luminous signals, the soft hum of the relays fills the control station. In the control station, heart of the plant, experienced engineers help to maintain and improve the workmanship in Mercedes-Benz vehicles and thus ensure that cars will retain their well-groomed appearance for years in all climatic zones of the world.

/Hans S

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
Re: sandal wood colour code
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 20:38:17 »
I see from the painting process that the bodies were dipped in a large bath so as to cover the inside chassis members.
I think that my body must have missed this process as when i opened up the rusted chassis  to weld in new sections there was no paint in there,i would suggest that with the number of rusted out Pagodas out there mine was not the only one.
Eric

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: sandal wood colour code for body primer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 21:52:02 »
Quote from: tel76
.../...the bodies were dipped in a large bath so as to cover the inside chassis members.  I think that my body must have missed this process.../...
Well, this is an interesting topic... In the end fifties/early sixties when the Ponton bodies (no separate frame in body structure) came, the designers had a clever thought which however did not function "in the real world".  They reasoned "If we weld box sections in these Ponton body frameworks shut, no water can get inside and corrode the bodies"   So, thats what they did. However, the moisture captured in the air inside the totally raw metal boxes condensed into water droplets when ambient temperatures were low. Thus, the box structures rusted neatly from the inside out with time...!

When this at last was properly identified by the M-B factory management, holes (some 25mm dia)  were made at many points in the body, and the primer could then penetrate all body cavities during the dip... Some of the holes were covered with plastic plugs before the body was top painted. This was in 1969.

An instruction was then issued by the factory to retrofit these holes to M-B cars already delivered, and to spray rust preventing wax into the body cavities.
All the above is valid for our W113 cars, as well as M-B sedans/ coupés etc.   
/Hans in Sweden

/Hans S