Author Topic: Turn signal indicators do not work.  (Read 5589 times)

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Turn signal indicators do not work.
« on: January 27, 2011, 22:19:31 »
Hi everybody,

It's been a while since I have visited the forums.  I hope one of you guys can help me out.  I just noticed that my Left and Right turn signal indicators do not work. When I use the left or right turn signal the rear lights don't work as well as the instrument cluster lights indicating that they are being used.  However, when I use the Hazards lights, both the rear lights and instrument cluster lights work fine.  As far as I can tell all the other electrical is working.

I'm thinking maybe a relay has gone out?  Any guesses or troubleshooting tips?  Where can I find the relay, test, and buy?

thanks

1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

BABAK

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • USA, CA, Valencia
69 280sl dark olive automatic
71 280sl bronze brown
70 280se coupe light Ivory
59 190sl
61 190sl
www.vintageeuroparts.com

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Turn signal indicators do not work.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 18:26:44 »
I had the same problem on the 280SL, emergency flasher would work but not the turn signals.
When I removed the rear (left or right) turn signal bulb and used a volt meter and on the socket I could see that current arrived when the switch on the column was turned on or off.  Also now the front light would flash! Putting the bulb back resulted in no flashing.  This indicated  that perhaps the relay was overloaded (?). It puts out 2W only whereas the flasher relay delivers 4W which may explain why it is not affected. Have you added higher voltage bulbs recently?
The turn signal and flasher relays are not interchangeable! I replaced it with a used one from a different car of the same period, e.g. Finntai.  This relay was made by three vendors, Bosch, Hella and SWF.  It is located under the dash on the left side of the steering column. The photo shows it on my 230SL, the attachment on the 280SL may be different.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 19:23:47 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 19:22:03 »
The bulbs are the same.  Can you test if the relay is bad with a volt/ohm meter?  How?
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 21:10:39 »
Also check this: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/FlasherRelay

Have you had the headlights out for any reason, or had the need to rewire your headlight plugs? Swapping two wires in these plugs can cause the problems you describe.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!