Author Topic: Installing a new soft top  (Read 11862 times)

knirk

Installing a new soft top
« on: April 23, 2004, 03:51:12 »
Hi

My soft top is getting ready for replacement. Anybody done it yourself?

I have never seen the job documented anywhere, so either it's very difficult, or I haven't looked in the right places.

Per G. Birkeland
Norway
69 280sl

Ben

Re: Installing a new soft top
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 08:12:47 »
Yes I did it myself !

Not too difficult but it did take me about 8 hours !!

Main thing is to put it on dry first, i.e no glue and make some small pencil marks to centralise it. You need to really ensure that it fits correctly over the back bow nice and snug.

I think I have the instructions somewhere so I'll have a look !

Get new cables while you are there !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

n/a

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 09:54:02 »
Hi,
I've done it myself and it is not too difficult if you take your time.  Joe Alexander helped me along with it.

Remove the old top and clean off all of the old contact cement. Now is the time to re-align your soft-top frame to the car, if necessary.  Take a good look at how your frame lines up.  You can loosen the bolts in the boot to move it forward or back.  You can also add or remove spacers to raise or lower the frame.

Lay the top out over the car to center it before you start gluing anything.  Then, start at the front of the car and work your way back.  Have plenty of rags and plastic sheets handy to protect your car and interior from glue.

Good luck,
Don
PS. the 280sl frame is different from earlier sl's

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 09:56:54 »
Here's some experiences from fellow-Pagoda owners I compiled over the years:

"I just put a new top on my car. I purchased it from Bill Hirsch, a Hemmings advertiser. I chose them because they supplied directions with the top. The directions weren't perfect but I was able to fill in the blanks. I am happy with the installation. All I want a top for is cover when the sun isn't out. It is a one day job for a professional.

My records show I spent about 20 hours labor, that included removing the top bows for cleaning and repair. It is not an easy job but it is do-able by a competent home mechanic/craftsman. If you decide to do it, I recommend taking lots of pictures during dismantle, unless you have a photographic memory."

"Don Czapski: the following information on the replacement and installation of a new soft top is mainly credited to Joe Alexander. I will add my experience to the information and hope that others will achieve the satisfaction that I did in doing this restoration job. As in many jobs, this one is probably 75% preparation.

If your soft top frame is in need of adjustment, now would be a good time to do this job. (I added shims where the frame meets the body of the car and this helped the mouldings to line up perfectly with the roll up windows) Dave M. (Anogoodnick) has written on this topic. Before starting, decide if you are going to replace the rubber seals and order them. The front seal above the windshield will most likely be destroyed during removal. The rear seal is easily removable but check for cracks and fraying ends. I used Weldwood contact cement with excellent results. It holds strong when dry, it's easy to work with and allows for just enough working time and repositioning if necessary. You can get everything you need at your local Home Depot.

Get one or two cheap 1" paint brushes and one 1/2" paint brush, some rags, contact cement thinner or lacquer thinner, some 2" masking tape, and a small container of adhesive remover especially for contact cement. Some heavy duty large garbage bags work well to protect your car (cut them open to make larger sheets). The first step is to remove the rubber seals and metal strips. You will need a small phillips screwdriver for this. Be sure to label everything you take off (use the masking tape to make labels). Keep the screws to each metal strip together, you'll forget where things go later. Make notes; for example, one of the screws for the side window moldings goes under the metal strip and must be screwed in prior to reinstalling the metal strip when the time comes.

Remove your old top. Loosen the nuts holding the side wires above the roll up windows. Measure the distance between the rearmost frame bar (the free floating one) and the (stable) frame bar foreward to it. Remove the old inner cloth strips and drill out the pop rivets to the front bar. I'm not sure what the function of the little elastic strips are, but replacements are available at any large fabric store. Use the plastic garbage bags and masking tape to protect your car.

Use the 1/2" brush and lightly dab on adhesive remover to remove the old glue. It takes only a couple of minutes to soften the old glue. Wipe off the old glue with rags. Use plastic gloves if you have sensitive skin. The important thing is to go very slow with this process. The old glue comes off very easily so take your time. Do not allow the adhesive remover to come in contact with any painted surface. You're now ready to get started with the installation.

Install the inner cloth strips, using your measurement for the rear frame bar. Compare this measurement to the corresponding inner seams of the top. Pop rivet the front bar in place. Lay your new canvas top on the opened, but unfastened, frame. Start at the front. Slide the side wires into the new top but leave them loose for now. The front wire fastener will be positioned right at the front hole with all of it hidden except the part where the screw goes through. Be sure to center the top from side to side. Apply glue to both surfaces with your 1" brush, working from the center outward. Pull the front beading forward and down so it is just at the lower edge of the front frame.

Pull snuggly to the sides until the bead rounds the corner of the front. Don't be afraid to pull the top loose and reglue if necessary until you have it right. When the front Use an awl to punch a hole for the first chrome screw which will goe through the fastener for the side wire and into the frame. Repeat the other side. The glue holds the fabric in position until the metal strips are installed. When you're happy with the front fit, install the metal strip along the front. Use an awl or ice pick to locate the screw holes in the frame. Don't install any rubber mouldings until the very end of the job.

Fasten the front frame down to the car. Do the rear bow next, using the same procedure as the front. Start in the center and work your way outward. Pull the bead down so the top will lay nicely against the car. Allow for some slight stretching back later. Install the metal strip. Fasten the rear bow to the car. If the top is too tight, loosen the front fasteners, attach the rear first and then fasten the front. Have an assistant help pull the frame forward so it can be fastened. Take a break.

Next, do the sides. Roll the windows up and down from time to time to check alignment. You may want to glue the side rubber liners to the top now (the thin weather seals between the frame sides and top). I installed mine at the very end, but it was a little tight. These weather seals are installed with the large end fitting into a pocket in the front bow. The thin flat edge of the seals lays against the top of the frame acting as a "weather strip." The flat side of the strip is glued to the top along the inside edge of the black canvas. Pull the side wires snug and fasten the nut to hold the sides down tight. Disengage the rear bow from the car. Apply glue and pull the sides down tight and forward.

Install the metal strips. Fasten front and back frame bows to the car. Check window alignment. Next, glue the inner fabric strips to the frame. Protect the inside of the car with plastic sheets. Start with the front bar. Glue the flap furthest to the front of the car first, gluing it towards you, then glue the flap closer to you overlapping the other flap. This will hide the glue edge and look nice. Do the opposite for those flaps behind you so that you don’t see the glue edge. Glue the flap furthest from you first, and then overlap with the flap closer to you, and, therefore, the visible flap. Trim excess canvas material and install the rubber mouldings. I didn’t use any glue on the rubber mouldings except the front. Now, stand back and be proud.

Keep in mind that: The fabric will stretch during the first few weeks of usage. Do not be afraid to pull things apart and reglue. Lacquer thinner will remove minor glue accidents from the fabric. If you have questions, please contact me or Joe Alexander. I hope that I didn't forget anything."

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

knirk

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 10:54:52 »
Thank you all!

I need to do something with the bows as well. Should they be in aluminum color, and if so - glossy or not?

Per G Birkeland

tuultyme

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 15:17:45 »
Are you going for a similar color replacement; 747 dark green?

Bruce; Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

knirk

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 18:40:19 »
I must admit that my initial intention was to go for black. But that was before I had decoded the original color from the data card. So I think I will follow the "true original spirit" and go with dark green.

Per G. Birkeland
280sl 834 Moss Green

rob walker

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 04:24:28 »
Ben, can you tell me where you purchased your softtop from in the UK?
Thanks Rob

Rob Walker

glennard

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 05:15:08 »
Hi, Anybody have a soft top frame and/or fabric up for grabs?  Tnax

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 05:54:36 »
Per .... Inspect your frame when you have the top off. The pivot bolts loosen, wear and can be a problem.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

Ben

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 10:28:49 »
Rob.........I bought it from www.prestigeautotrim.co.uk ! I also believe that the one www.forestfine.co.uk does is good too !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

rob walker

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 20:59:09 »
Ben did the Prestige Autotrim have the light coloured interior or dark?

Rob Walker

Ben

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 09:11:01 »
Rob,
   It was black Sonnenland exterior with the correct beige herringbone patterned interior.

Looks correct though I am not sure if it is factory identical. Nobody has ever said otherwise, only commenting how good it looks !

It has een on the car now foir 4 years and still looks great. The only issues are that I fitted it myself and didn't do as good a job as I should have...............if I'd known then what I know now !

It has never let in any water and the rain still beads on it !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

TR

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 09:29:54 »
Ben -- Sounds like you're describing the soft top I had installed ... except for the color.

Glad to read the water still beads on yours.  Has it been washed with detergents?  As you might have seen on the other thread, mine soaks thru if I don't retreat it with water repellant.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd, signal red w/lt. tan interior, restored/enhanced

Ben

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 02:27:11 »
No I never wash it !

The manufacturers said not to "wash" it. If it gets oiled or dirty just let it dry, brush it lightly or wipe it with a damp chamois.

Thats all I've ever done. It doesn't really get dirty, although some dust gathers near the top fron seam and I wipe it away with the chamois !

Thats it !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

rob walker

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 08:36:34 »
I am thinking of going green to match the leather trim for mine rather than the original black...sorry Douglas I know how you feel we should stay original. But I think green with papyrus paint and green leather would really set off the car.
Did the original green soft tops come with the beige interior as Prestige show this with black interior, which maybe a little drab?

Rob Walker

Douglas

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 08:52:05 »
Rob,

I'm sure you could get it whatever way you wanted, so I wouldn't worry about how it came. (I guess I'm more interested in how it conceivably came than how it came.)

Congrats on the new car. I'm always interested in the unusual colors and your interior is a nice contrast to the Papyrus White.

So is your SL a '69 or '68? Also, do you know the option codes on the plate in the engine compartment? You can tell a few things from that.

(Sorry to digress in this thread.)

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 08:53:13 by Douglas »

Ben

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 09:38:48 »
Any photos of the green interior ?

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

rob walker

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 22:56:31 »
Ben, I have uploaded some photos of the photo section and this includes a seat picture. The headrests are not original and are of a different material and I will get these changed otherwise a few hours with leather cleaner and feed made a remarkable difference to the sun dried leather.

Douglas I have all the codes and numbers in my Seoul office, I am down in Busan at present but will add them to the database on my return.
According to the numbers she was constructed in 1967 but registered March 1968. Body numbers, hood, hardtop, softtop cover numbers all intact.
Regards Rob

Rob Walker

Ben

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 02:26:59 »
Nice car Rob !

I like the green, is it original ?

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

rob walker

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 04:13:16 »
Yes I think it is original. Its not a concours car but a really unmessed with car, one German lady owner who eventually took it to Spain, then the guy who I bought it off who is a real car nut.
Is now in the UK to get registered to my name as I cannot get the switch done in Spain due to beauracracy. I will eventually take it back to Spain when I move there permanently.

Rob Walker