Author Topic: How can I find my car´s history?  (Read 6714 times)

Asper

How can I find my car´s history?
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:56:46 »
I own a 280 SL, 1968. The car is a US model and the 1st. owner was located in New York. There are indications that the car later may have spent som time in Canada, then some time in Norway, som time in Iceland and then back to Norway last year.
Does anybody have any ideas on how I go about trying to find the history of my car?
Kjell

Surfer65sl

Re: How can I find my car´s history?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 14:00:30 »
Kjell,

Although not exactly what you are looking for, you can send an email with your VIN and Insurance card and get the original data card.  I believe MB Classic can also tell you where the car was originally shipped to.

Good Luck.

Matt

Asper

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:44:53 »
Thanks Matt.
I have information on the car/service book covering the first few years till June 30th. 1976, but from there on nothing. Yesterday I found out that the car was imported to Norway in Sept. 98 and exported out of Norway in July 1999. Most likely to Iceland, but I don't know for sure. The car was imported from Iceland to Norway last year prior to me buying it.
I will continue digging.
Kjell

Rolland

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 14:15:58 »
I would also like to trace back more of my Pagoda's history.  I do have the data card, but would really like to learn more of where the car has been since it is a Euro model sold in Germany (it would be interesting to know when it came to the US, etc.)  When getting the data card, I asked the person I was emailing with from the Classic Center if they had a source, she said no siting privacy issues with the US and German laws.  I have contact with the two previous owners so will start there for a winter project.  An interesting thing simular, but off this topic, we have a home built in 1911 and last year gutted the kitchen to update things.  We found some interesing things in the walls, one of which were many pages of a 1925 Literary Guild.

Rolland

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 09:50:32 »
In the USA, some states issue a Vin History report showing previous owners and locations. It is possible that the national or area vehicle registration office will make previous information available.

With Euro Privacy Laws this may not be possible but may be worth an try.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

circle

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 21:44:27 »
Hi.
I live in Iceland and I own one of four or five Pagodas in Iceland.  This car on the pictures was imported from Norway to Iceland in late nineties an I know it was for sale last summer but I don't know if it was sold or not. Could this be your car?

Regards.
Hringur Baldvinsson
ICELAND

Rolland

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 13:12:20 »
In Oregon, unless you can prove you have an interest (like and insurance companies cliams dept) in why you need to know who the owner is, you have zero chance of getting information using a VIN number.  The times we live in.....

Rolland

Asper

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 06:21:38 »
Hi Hringur,
The car on the pictures is my car. Thanks. I have also found out that the car was in Norway from 1998 to 1999 and then was exported somewhere - most likely to Iceland. The owner in Norway was a man with an Icelandic name:Fridbert Fridbertsson, but I don't know if it was him that brought the car to Iceland as I have not been able to trace him. He might also be the person who imported the car to Norway in the first place. I am hopeful to find the answers as time go by.
I am very happy with the car and it has been running perfectly all summer.
Kjell

circle

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 21:23:46 »
Hi Kjell

I have been researching the history of your car here in Iceland. This guy named Fridbert Fridbertsson worked at the Coca Cola company in Norway, he sold the car to Herman Sigurdsson, a helicopter captain at the Icelandic coastguard, I don´t know who of them imported the car to Iceland but some years ago Herman and his wife Árný Sigrún Helgadóttir divorced and she got the car and I believe that you bought the car from her.
I hope this information helps you to trace the history of your beautiful car.

Best regards
Hringur

Asper

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 12:08:58 »
Hi Hringur,
You have been very helpful and I am really grateful. Today is actually my birthday so I consider the information from you a nice birthday present.
Kjell

circle

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 13:34:11 »
Hi Kjell

I wish you a happy birthday :)

I´m a little curious, how did you come a cross this car here in Iceland, did you come here over and take a look on it before you bought it ?
There are only  four Pagodas left here in Iceland another 1968 280sl was sold to Denmark last winter.

Regards

Hringur

Asper

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 14:12:44 »
Hi Hringur.
Thanks.
I bought the car from a Norwegian car dealer who bought the car from Iceland through Internet. At least that is what he told me although he was reluctant to give me too many details. The car had been for sale for a while and was just what I had been looking for.
Kjell

pj-tigger

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 19:37:58 »
In the UK its nice & easy - if your the registered owner of the car you can send £10 to DVLA (the UK vehicle licensing authority) & they will send you a list of all the previous owers & addresses and copies of the previous registration documents.