Author Topic: Opinions on Hagerty insurance coverage  (Read 20304 times)

Jim Donati

Opinions on Hagerty insurance coverage
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:03:30 »
Has anyone had any positive or negative experience with Hagerty as it relates to coverage on a classic weekend driver?

I would like other members opinions on collector or classic auto insurance coverage like Hagerty.  I currently have my 1970 280SL insured under my Kemper policy for my other personal (non classic) autos.  I have looked at switching to coverage that specializes in classic and collector cars, but am unsure if this type of coverage would meet my needs.  I like the concept of specifying a value I think my car is worth, but am concerned that coverage will be as I expect if I do drive the vehicle on weekends.

I have recently had my car repainted professionally with a high quality paint job, and although I do not plan to use it as a daily driver, I certainly plan to drive it several times a month across town or on short drives.

Jim  

« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:30:14 by 280SL71 »

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Opinions on Hagarty insurance converage
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 05:46:56 »
The DDK guys rave about Hegarty
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20267

I am with Footman James and had no trouble with them
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 08:13:25 »
I am also with Footman James and whilst fortunately I've not had to claim, I have had to contact them. Their customer service is as close to apalling as I've experienced for an insurance company. I have never had a call answered in under 20 mins (I've called them 3 times in the past 4 weeks) and they are incredibly slow in answering emails (almost a week at a time to get a reply).

So, whilst they're good at selling insurance at a good price, their customer service is very poor. I have sufficient a concern about the quality of their back office staff to renew with another provider this year. My experiences to date do not reassure me about their ability to deal quickly with anything.

If others have had experience of their claims dept, I'd like to hear it.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

ljg

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:37:05 »
I had used Hagarty for years without any problems.  This year my agent switched me to an agency in RI called Sacchetti at 401 461-0900.  They changed the coverage on my three collector cars to American Modern Insurance. The  premium is about 50% of the Hagarty charge.
LJG
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:43:05 by ljg »

Norm

• Silver
  • USA, TX, Wimberley
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 10:39:48 »
I recently switched two cars to Hagerty.  Based on comparable coverage, I found their rates to be competitive (premiums are widely adjustable based on coverage and deductibles)  Although they have local representation if I need it, I found their online service to be outstanding.  They are also very available by phone and walked me through several coverage decisions.

As to driving on weekends, you should discuss their options but I found their coverage to be a very good fit for how / when I drive my cars.

I am sure that there are many people on this forum that can and will provide passionate advice but you should discuss how you use your car with whatever insurance company you are considering and be comfortable with their answers.

Norm
Norm
1966 230SL 162H Blue-Grey
1994 Acura NSX Formula Red
2024 Acura RDX A-Spec, White Pearl
2016 Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe Obsidian Black
2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Light / Dark Root Beer

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 12:12:26 »
Take note, it is Hagerty, not Hagarty.

There are only a few major players in the "Classic and Collectible Car" insurance category.  Hagerty is a big one, so is J.C. Taylor, and there are a few others.

Here was my experience and why I chose Hagerty. (Ignore the fact that they are a Michigan company)

My wife works for Ford, and as a manager there for the past 15+ years, we pay for (it isn't free by any means), and receive, "management lease" and evaluation vehicles every year.  It started with a single car, then went to two cars per year just around the time my W113 came out of restoration and was ready for the road.  Thus we do not own any daily drivers and have not for at least 10 years.  Aye, there's the rub, as they say.  These lease cars are not in our name.  The cars are self-iinsured through Ford, so we don't have insurance on them either.  We're merely caretakers and provide feedback and evaluation on said vehicles quarterly.

No other classic car insurance company could deal with this conundrum.  They all require, as part of the provisions of classic car insurance, that you own and insure a daily driver--a normal car.  This is so you are not driving the classic as a daily car.

Hagerty, on the other hand, took a letter from Ford's HR Department describing the situation and my family eligibility for these lease cars, as proof that we had other cars to drive regularly and thus the 280 SL was not going to be used as a daily driver.

J.C. Taylor and a few others would NOT offer me insurance under this same situation...and that is why I have Hagerty.

By the way, their on-line service, and their office staff is exemplary.  Top notch--quick to answer, ready to serve.  I am thankful my experience with them are merely getting the insurance certificate every year in order to get the car re-registered.  I have had no claims.  They have no mileage restrictions or usage restrictions on my policy.   Some classic policies (and the Michigan antique license plate) have various restrictions such as only valid for use to/from club events, 2500 miles per year, and similar restrictive issues.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:19:06 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

SteveK

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 12:27:08 »
I also have had Hagerty's for a number of years on two vehicles and although I have never had a claim they have been great to work with.   When the last bill came I was out of town and I asked my wife to call them and see if we could up the values on both my 52 truck and my pagoda.  They had it taken care of in 5 minutes.  Really easy people to deal with.

dean

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 12:36:36 »
i have Hagerty on my 2 280 SL
i went with them because the rates were comparable to others, no limit on yearly mileage plus the 125 mi towing service on all your cars.  Their claim reimbursement service is very prompt.

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
Re: Opinions on Hagary Pagodaty insurance converage
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 14:26:30 »
I have had Hagerty for as long as i have had my Pagoda, ie 5 years. The rates are competitive, and they suggest increases in coverage limits when the market value for a particular car indicates it. I used their towing service once. The response time was adequate and the truck dispatched was a flat bed. I also had one claim (not the Pagoda). Sent them a repair estimate and a couple of photos, had a check by return mail.

Hagerty is heartily recommended, although I have to wonder about future rates. They insured a majority of the damaged cars at the Barrett-Jackson, tent fiasco.

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

RickM

Re: Opinions on Hagerty insurance converage
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 15:02:14 »
When shopping Collector Car insurance keep the following in mind:

- Can you drive to work or for pleasure and keep coverage intact? Some of the "Collector Car" policies will only cover use for parades, car shows and special events. They specifically forbid any other type of use.

- Is you policy a "Stated Value" or "Agreed Value"?  There's a big difference. Stated Value may not protect you when it comes to the Ins co compensating you for a loss. Several factors will weigh their decision on how much your car is worth. An Agreed Value policy is where you and the Ins co agree, in writing, that your car is worth a predefined, and agreed to, amount. Don't leave the value of your car up to the adjusters and Ins co attorneys.

When I did a comparison of all Collector Car programs the only Ins Co that would offer a truly comprehensive combination of coverage was Sneed.
Sneed will write Agreed Value policies and allow you to drive to work with no mileage restrictions. Any value above $25k will require an in-person appraisal...as opposed to pics. I believe they aren't as tough on the primary car requirements as others.

Please note any of these companies might have changed there criteria since my comparison. Coverage offerings will vary from one state to another.

Remember, don't rely on an agent's claims or promises. If it isn't in writing you're at their mercy.

Comparisons included (but not limited to):

Parish Heacock
JC Taylor
American Collectors
Leyland West
Hagerty
Sneed
Grundy
Modern Home
State Farm Classic Car program (May write Agreed Value...but may vary by state)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 16:27:56 by RickM »

PnHi

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 15:08:33 »
Hagarty would not insure my historic BSA motorcycle because I didn't have a daily driver motorcycle ::). JC Taylor had no problem and was $20 cheaper than Hagarty for the SL.

Jim Donati

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 15:42:18 »
Thanks to Gus, Steve, Michael (Hagerty now spelled correctly) Rick and others for all you input.   Rick thank you for explaining "stated" versus "agreed" values.

I would only switch from my current carrier if I could get Agreed Value on the vehicle and be allowed to drive it on weekends.  I am not looking for a policy that will only cover use for parades, car shows and special events.

You have all given me plenty to think about and investigate in more detail.

Jim

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Opinions on Hagerty Pagoda Insurance Coverage
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 15:48:57 »
...although I have to wonder about future rates. They insured a majority of the damaged cars at the Barrett-Jackson, tent fiasco...

On the State of Michigan Proof of Insurance card, the actual insurer is noted.  Hagerty is much like some kind of collective agent; their name has never appeared on my insurance card.  The latest insurer on my 2010 card is "Essentia".  In the past it has been "American Motorists".

I am not 100% familiar with the lingo, and I'm sure our members here include insurance agents--but I think Hagerty is the underwriter?  Actual coverage is supplied by someone else?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 15:54:45 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

RickM

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 16:20:28 »
Here is a slide from a presentation I authored. The info may be of benefit:

(Keep in mind this info is a snapshot from '07. I'm sure Ins cos "shop" underwriters from time to time for the most beneficial terms. (unless, of course, the "agent" is a leg of the business))

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 21:16:07 by RickM »

RickM

Re: Opinions on Hagerty Pagoda Insurance Coverage
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 16:32:03 »
--but I think Hagerty is the underwriter?  Actual coverage is supplied by someone else?

No, but as you mentioned, Hagerty is an "agent" or reseller. The actual coverage is provided by the underwriting insurer (or, in some cases, ultimately, a re-insurer). It appears Encompass Ins co underwrote Hagerty business in '07.

This current info is off their website.....

Your policy may be underwritten by one of the following insurance companies, which all carry an A.M. Best rating of A (excellent) or better.
OneBeacon Insurance Group Companies

* American Central Insurance Company
    * The Employers' Fire Insurance Company
    * Essentia Insurance Company

Our International Touring Liability Program is offered through:

* Hagerty International Limited

And underwritten by:

* Allianz Group

Our Overseas Shipping Program is underwritten by:

* Lloyd's
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 16:43:10 by RickM »

johnshenry

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 17:34:18 »
I have four cars insured by Grundy and while I have never submitted for a claim, I am very happy with them.  They even have insured a '51 VW that is in 4 different places on my property.  I needed to get a policy... so I could get a registration .... so I could get a "lock" on a 4 number year of manufacture plate for it.  they have been very easy to work with over the years in adding cars, adjusting agreed values, etc....

k

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 21:18:11 »
I spent about 45 min with a Hagerty underwriter discussing the fine print of their policy on pleasure usage; and went thru a half dozen scenarios which a loss claim might entail:

Damagae during:

-driving car to weekend dinner
-weekend pleasure drive (ie, every single summer weekend 2 days, for 16 weeks)
-overnite trip to a B&B, locked parking
-being 100+ miles away at a non-car event
-driving to beach
-a parking garage, not your home/storage
-at shop for repairs

In every case, they deffered to the spirit of the lanaguage, that as long as you are not driving it daily to work, shopping or school; it was ok if you stayed within mileage limits.

I know some actuaries, and pushed them on conflicts, subrogation, loss limits, etc...and they seemed very accomodating

My take is the avg. socio/economic status of their cleints is very high, and they factor in low loss ratios, to accomodate the outlier events, and take care of their customers.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 21:25:16 by k »

dean

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 21:23:53 »
So which insurance covers your drive to work?  and no limit on miles? i called Sneed (based on the chart posted ) they no longer cover classic cars.

RickM

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 21:30:00 »
So which insurance covers your drive to work?  and no limit on miles? i called Sneed (based on the chart posted ) they no longer cover classic cars.

Hmm, unfortunately you may have to go through the listed insurers and get the latest info. State Farm Classic Insurance Program may fit the bill but they may require insuring other cars and or some type of umbrella coverage....and, again, it may depend on the state you live in. Additional Insurers to inquire http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/protect-your-ride-collector-car-insurance-review/

Add: This is who underwrote Sneed. Worth a look: https://www.elitecollectorcar.com/cvrater-web/quote/quote;jsessionid=00006KtoEPHgl50YvLm7Rm5o1G-:-1?_flowExecutionKey=_c0195232B-253B-B424-55B7-6D4788A5BE9C_k8D397779-DFA6-0965-FAD8-A75CCCCA536C
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 21:49:05 by RickM »

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 01:51:08 »
I have owned and operated "antique" vehicles for over 37 years.  In the 1970's it seemed that the only game in town for "agreed value" insurance was J.C. Taylor, and that is who I obtained coverage from for my 1951 M.G. TD.  When I got married and moved from Virginia to Maryland, they dropped my coverage with one week's notice, so
i had to shift my coverage to our "daily driver" insurer, which was Allstate.  The agent told me that they could do "stated amount" coverage and assured me that it was just as good as the "agreed value" coverage I had with J.C.Taylor.  As my antique fleet grew, they were all added to the Allstate policy and I never had a claim.  When our original Allstate agent retired, the guy who took over his practice reviewed all our homeowners, life and auto policies and told me that I needed to get my covered properly and recommended Hagerty.  He knew he was going to loose the coverage on seven vehicles, but also knew that I would be hosed if I ever had a serious claim.  The total cost of the Hagerty coverage is about 1/3 of what I had been paying Allstate, and their service has been just great.  They also cover all my tools, spares parts, and even offered coverage on a restoration project vehicle that is all apart and spread between two garages on opposite sides of the state.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

peterm

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 13:48:30 »
I have Hagerty and have had claim experience.  My car was in shop 2 years ago and was involved in an accident as the shop owner was transporting the car to the upholstery shop.  Hagerty was immediately called and the repairs came to about 500$ from the agreed value.  Claim was paid in full and Hagerty then dealt with the garageowners insurance to get paid.  I would guarantee the garage owners insurance company adjuster would not have been as knowledgeable or flexible as the Hagerty claims processor.  This claim has caused no effect on my hagerty or personal rates either- nor should it have!  I'd say they did right

dakman29

• Senior
  • USA, WA, Spokane
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 15:40:37 »
I am in the midst of a claim with Hagerty following the engine bay fire that happened during a fuel filter change.  So far, I have nothing but praise for the coverage and the service.  They agreed to pay for the transport from Spokane to Calabasas, CA,  so the repairs could be done by Scott Melnick. If the balance of the claim goes as smoothly as it has begun, I will be a lifelong Hagerty insured.

KevinC

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 00:42:19 »
I am with Grundy with no claim experience. They are fine to deal with and we worked out an agree value which I am happy with. No driving to work or using for Home Depot trips (running errands) but all other times are good with no mileage limits.

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 20:22:17 »
I have been needing to switch to antique insurance from a standard carrier I have had for two years. I contacted Hagerty because of this thread and am totally impressed with their customer service in getting the account set up. I hope I never have to use the insurance, but I am confident that they will be there if I do. Really nice people to deal with!
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

dakman29

• Senior
  • USA, WA, Spokane
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 18:06:08 »
Update on my Hagerty claim experience - The initial appraisal of the cost to repair damage from engine bay fire was @3,700.  Once I had the car shipped to So. Cal, however, the appraisal is now up to a little more than $15,000  (zero deductible, by the way).  Hagerty says they are ready to issue a check as soon as the written appraisal hits their office.  As I mentioned earlier, they are also paying the $695 cost of transporting the car from Spokane.  Can't say enough good things about Hagerty.